Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
I think the boat next to me is dragging

It's really windy here. Not a good anchorage. I just went out to look at things(smoke) and the boat that was directly in line with me is now about 50 yards behind. Doesn't seem to be a dinghy by it and I haven't seen anyone on it. Is there anything I should do? Doesn't seem to be moving now, but it only gets deeper water further back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: I think the boat next to me is dragging

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
It's really windy here. Not a good anchorage. I just went out to look at things(smoke) and the boat that was directly in line with me is now about 50 yards behind. Doesn't seem to be a dinghy by it and I haven't seen anyone on it. Is there anything I should do? Doesn't seem to be moving now, but it only gets deeper water further back.
When that kind of stuff happens, another kind boater will go over and let some more scope out (given room to do so) and maybe put out a second anchor if one is on deck.

The other issue is if it poses a threat to you and your boat, if so the best bet is to up anchor and move to a safer spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-20-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

No threat to me. I would let out more scope but its midnight, and I had a dinghy incident tonight. I dropped an oar and luckily it was light out and I started yelling and luckily luckily luckily there was a guy just arriving to a nearby boat who came and got me and got my oar. So I was reluctant to even go to shore tonight. He said his 6horse was barely making headway against the wind and current. I don't think I should paddle in the dark to a boat downwind from me in case something happens. I was hoping more for someone to call maybe.
Old 08-20-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

That's a dilemma. Once you lay a hand on the boat, the responsibility thereafter is yours. If it sinks or if it hits someone else, it may be construed as YOUR fault. Good Samaritan laws may not apply. The old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished," could apply. If the boat is not endangering you, think about whether to intervene unless you are really sure you can make it stay put. A radio call to harbormaster or CG would probably be wiser.
ottos and jimrafford like this.
Old 08-20-2013

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

I think its much better to help.

A good solution is get someone from another boat to give you hand. Two heads are better than one and it removes any doubt that you were boarding the boat for nefarious purposes.
bljones and oysterman23 like this.
Old 08-20-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Fairly common problem where I hang out. Urgent if it is dragging down onto rocks. Less so if it is just dragging out into the open ocean.

Put out a VHF call.

Get at least one other dink and helper to go so if you have a failure you can get to safety. BTW you DO have a dinghy anchor and at least a 100 ft of light line [200 ft better] I hope.

A big Fortress anchor and 200ft plus of rode is a useful thing to bring. But any large anchor does.

Get aboard and do what you can. It is nice if the boat has the keys in the ignition and a spare anchor ready to go at the bow.

View it as deposit in the Bank of Good Karma.

Made one a few days ago in Clarks Court Bay when a 45 ft boat dragged onto shore. It was fairly urgent as the boat was one that had a spade rudder. It is a salutary experience to visit some of the rubbish dumps behind the boatyards in the Bahamas and the Caribbean and view piles of bent broken and twisted spade rudders.
krisscross likes this.
Old 08-20-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Some years ago, anchored in Guadeloupe, another boat in the anchorage broke free from it's anchor. There was nothing but the whole Caribbean behind it, so it was not a danger to any other boat in the anchorage. As I was operating an 80'er, I had a pretty big dink and my ground tackle was more than sufficient to hold both boats, I towed it to my stern and made it fast.
Three days later the French owner shows up threatening to call the cops and goes on and on about this and that, never letting me explain a thing.
I cast his boat loose and went below, disinterested with his tirade. "You're welcome," I thought, "as*hole!"
Several hours later, he appears alongside in his dink, apologizing. Apparently he'd talked to several of the other boats' crews and realized that we hadn't tried to steal his boat, but had quite possibly saved it. He sheepishly handed me a bottle of Chateau Margaux, thanking me.
As they say, no good deed goes unpunished, at least sooner rather than later.
It would be a difficult decision in the Caribbean at least, with all the security issues down here and especially in the middle of the night, to board another boat, even with the best of intentions. Raising any LEO in the middle of the night down here can be problematic as well and to climb aboard only to be confronted by a heavy sleeper who didn't hear your calls before boarding, could be fatal.
I guess there is no right answer to this one; you'd just have to go w/ your gut feeling at the time.
krisscross likes this.
Old 08-20-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

I'd make a call rather than get involved by boarding the boat...
Old 08-20-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Some folks leave the remote for the anhcor somewhere obvious. Some leave the keys in the ignition so you can hold ground or re-set.

Better to help if you can. If you cant jump on the VHF and other cruisers may help
Old 08-20-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

if it is windy so bad you are having difficulty with transportation, what channel is the hailing channel for your area--where do folks hang out on vhf--call there and report the dragging boat and splain why you cannot safely do the work, as you have no engine and .....

and someone will come save the night /day/err boat. calling is just as important as working on the deck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward