Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: An Excellent Condition, Turnkey Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Yeah, sure. The broker is going to accept this maneuver. No problem.
He may not realize he is under going a commission appendectomy. Also from

http://www.oceanmarinellc.com/broker...ralListing.pdf

section C Broker agrees, item 5
"To promptly transmit all offers to the OWNER"

He has no choice, he is bound by contract to show the offer to the seller.
Old 08-21-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Well, after we were back at the dock, the broker did mention the seller was pretty firm on the price so any dramatically lower offers shouldn't be made.
This is so often the case, and so sad. A guy buys the boat. Re-rigs, adds the TV and all the associated electronics, BBQ, air conditioning, pays for the nice welding (!?!), before he knows it has sunk $000's into he boat - and now he is selling it, wants most of that the investment back.

If only, right?

I still remember sage advice from a friend, looking at a nice but run-down sailboat in our marina: "Look at this boat. A bit run down, you could pick it up for maybe $15K. Fix her up, new sails, change out the rigging....maybe put in $20K ... and you'd end up with a great boat worth about $17K."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I am thinking there must have been a misprint in the price, was it $7,950.00 or $795.00? I know they could not possibly be asking $79,500.00 real US Dollars for that thing. I figure the reason the broker was not wanting you to talk to the owner was the fact that you might tell him that he must be smoking something illegal if he thinks anyone will pay that much for the boat that he let go to pot, (small pun intended).

At least you got to go for a ride, and it was not quite a 20 hour round trip drive like my last expedition to look at a floating turd. I am just sitting tight for now, I figure in a couple of months the weather will really help me with the prices.

The broker looks up the going price on BUCnet or another data base and slaps it on. That price, which is supposed to be an NADA like price, is BS in it's own right. ( how many 1985 Saber 38's have sold recently to give reliable data?) Regardless, the broker slaps on the price, and then negotiates from there.

As for the price being what it is, if you don't ask you don't get. The seller's job is to get as much as possible for that boat. Your job, is to pay as little as possible.

I agree there is no excuse to mislead to this extent. However, there is a reason. First rule of selling tangibles is get the product into the customer's hands. With cars, it's the test drive. With Houses it's going to see properties. With boats it's get them on the boat. You can't sell anything to a customer who is not there. You need to get in front of the customer to create the selling situation. IOW, you can't get a hit unless you get an at bat. ( in the car biz customers are called ups) From there it's salesmanship and negotiation.

The more people who come on board that boat, the better chance it has of selling. If it's deficiencies are told up front no one will come to look at the boat. Quite frankly, the listing agent/broker and the owner could care less if you are pissed off about the boat being misrepresented. The more people who look, the more offers they will get. And make no mistake, they will get offers. And, they increase their opportunites to sell the boat.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-21-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
The more people who come on board that boat, the better chance it has of selling. If it's deficiencies are told up front no one will come to look at the boat. Quite frankly, the listing agent/broker and the owner could care less if you are pissed off about the boat being misrepresented. The more people who look, the more offers they will get. And make no mistake, they will get offers. And, they increase their opportunites to sell the boat.
I don't necessarily agree. If the boat is representated accurately but also priced accordingly, you'll likely still get traffic, and probably more targeted traffic who are shopping in the proper price range and are already prepared for the condition of the boat.
Tim R., miatapaul and arf145 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Well id say their asking waay too much for that boat. we did not see any cabin pics so unless its red oak with gold trim 79k is never going to happen in this market, imwo.
Old 08-21-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
I agree there is no excuse to mislead to this extent. However, there is a reason. First rule of selling tangibles is get the product into the customer's hands. With cars, it's the test drive. With Houses it's going to see properties. With boats it's get them on the boat.
Wouldn't pricing it properly bring in just as many potential buyers? And wouldn't those buyers be the better choice than buyers who feel duped by false advertising?

If a broker can reason away false advertising, I find that sufficient reason to avoid them.
Old 08-21-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post

Of course he has to present the offer to the seller.

But contract also stipulates that seller pasy commsission equal to 10% (or whatever has bee agreds to) of sales price.

regardless, a broker works for commission, it seems to be dishonest to try to cheat him out of 10% of his commission ($500 of $5000) assuming he is doing a good job.

How would you feel if you employer (assuming you have one) or your customer (assuming your self employed) trys to reneg on your salary and reduce it by 10%.

for a lousy $500. get real.
Old 08-21-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Everything is negotiable. Some is better than none. And some employers do reduce
employees' salaries at review time. If the employee doesn't like it, he can walk. Its not cheating, the terms are known before the deal is agreed to.

That "lousy" $500 looks a lot better in my pocket than the brokers. And you know what else I've done in deals? I've (threaten) mentioned to the listing agent I could use a different agent to make the deal. He gets the idea that his commission would be cut in half if I do. So instead of his commission being reduced by that "lousy" $500 it would be
reduced by 2500. Hmmmm, my offer is looking pretty good to the broker now.
Old 08-21-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post

Umm, and who polices that?

There can be a vast difference between a contract and the real world. It would be very easy for the broker to wait two days and tell you "the seller's not interested."

You'll never know what he did or didn't communicate to the seller.

I've been buying rental properties this year. Real estate is much more regulated than boat sales and I've been APPALLED at the conduct of some of the realtors I've dealt with.

You quickly learn the difference between legal and enforceable; and you learn to always check the paperwork to keep from getting burned.

All that said a good broker has earned his commission and deserves to be paid.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-21-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
You can't see it but it's broken, tubing split in half. When asked about it, the broker said the boat was moved to a slip for the winter before Sandy hit. The bow pulpit was destroyed when it hit the seawall. If you follow the lines of the pulpit on the port side you can see it was deformed, pushed back, during the storm.

I'm guessing the blocks on the port side of the main traveller were blown out when the mast began whipping side-to-side during the storm. The duct tape covering the void was brittle and the wood underneath was rotted. There are some deep gouges on the hull, also from the storm.
Not to excuse the listing, the price, or the broker's lack of diligence, but Sandy was throwing up 30' waves on southern Lake Michigan. Many boats were still in their slips, awaiting the Oct. 30-31 mass haul for winter storage. The crane only operates a few days at a given storage yard, & all boats get pulled and splashed at the same time. So the listing was disingenuous, and that boat wasn't Bristol before Sandy, but those two days were pretty rough on boats still in their slips, awaiting haulout.

We purchased our Ballad, lying Burnham Harbor, a week before the storm, sight unseen. Had to sit anxiously, 1000 miles away, hoping everything was tied down properly. Even tho Burnham is well-sheltered, reflected waves tore off all the fenders and left the aft cleat hanging by one bolt. Might have taken some gel coat off the stem, too. Things were bouncing around pretty good.