Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road
130 genoa & running with the wind

We have a 130 genoa and have noticed that when we are running it starts to fill backwards. No amount of adjusting the jib sheet seems to make any difference, and we invariably end up furling it until we change our course.

Is this just a newbie error? Do we need to adjust the track? Or is this typical with a 130 and instead we should be going wing and wing when we run?
Old 08-20-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Re: 130 genoa & running with the wind

If by running you mean dead down wind, then it sounds like your main is blanketing your genoa and thus it backwinds. Dead down wind is usually not very efficient, but if I were to do it then the main would be down and just sail with the genoa.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Jibs become useless on a deep broad reach, and the larger the jib, the more useless.

they become useful again if you either:

a) Head up to a "higher" broad reach and trade the extra distance for speed

b) bear off to a dead run and try to wing it out, "wing and wing". But this requires constant attention to the helm, and you're always on the edge of a jibe if you overcorrect too far to leeward. A pole will help, but a 130 needs more pole than you really want to put out there.

I would do a), I think; or do b) with maybe a 110 jib and a more reasonable size pole

Or, just set a symmetrical spinnaker (remember these, kids? and dial phones?? ;-), overtrim it a little for less trouble, and make time to leeward on a deep broad reach. Just steer carefully, and watch astern for dark clouds. But yeah, I do believe in spinnies as a useful cruising tool. But sym over assym for me, assyms are just "big jibs" and won't go deep downwind without getting blanketed.

Last edited by nolatom; 08-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
We have a 130 genoa and have noticed that when we are running it starts to fill backwards. No amount of adjusting the jib sheet seems to make any difference, and we invariably end up furling it until we change our course.

Is this just a newbie error? Do we need to adjust the track? Or is this typical with a 130 and instead we should be going wing and wing when we run?
A whisker pole will solve your problem. It's a very simple solution. If you don't know how to use one, just Google "how to use whisker pole"
Old 08-20-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the responses. It's nice to see that we are starting to notice a pattern for when things are going a bit wonky. Perhaps there's hope for us to be decent sailors yet.

I know that running dead downwind isn't particularly efficient, and I think between that and our need to furl the jib we will be trading some distance and adjusting to a broad reach more often from now on. The increase in speed from being able to use the genoa combined with the increased efficiency of the broad reach would likely more than make up for the increased distance.

We're probably going to look for a lightly used smaller headsail during the offseason for next year. It will be more useful around here in the early and later part of the season, and then we can switch to the 130 for the comparatively lighter winds of July/August.

Thanks again.

Last edited by cthoops; 08-20-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
We have a 135. We can sail downwind wing n wing without a pole. Yes it would be easier if we had one, but we don't. The trick with wing n wing without a pole is to set a preventer on the boom so you don't accidentally crash jibe and then keep the wind just slightly on the same side as the boom/mainsail to keep the genoa full. We do it once in a while and use the autopilot as well. If big seas are running from a slightly different angle than the wind, that can get difficult and you may have to choose an angle to the waves and set sails accordingly.
With wind much over 20 I don't think I'd sail wing n wing, but haven't tried it yet.