Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Mobile and Looking for a Great Sailing Community

Stuart/Jensen Beach/Port St Lucie Fla.

Lots of harbors, lots to do, good weather, not too expensive, very year-round, you can jump over to the bahamas if you want to get adventurous, or ICW to other ports if it's rough outside. And for the kids, the US Sailing Center is in Jensen Beach, excellent for racing the small stuff.

My in-laws lived there, we visited frequently.

Yeah, New Orleans is year-round but Lake Pontchartrain isn't all that "cruisey" though great for just sailing. Many folks around here keep their boats along the Miss/Ala shore in Mississippi Sound, a wonderful area. Except very occasionally, in hurricane season, uh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to nolatom For This Useful Post:
John33 (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Hey JamesWilson, tell more about Charleston, please. So far we've only spent a few days each spring/fall migration. Fun city to explore, and wonderful place to be a foodie. Looks like there would be daysailing on the bay. What else? Good community? Marine services? Gunkholing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-21-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
I'd second Annapolis. Very sailing - oriented culture, forgiving sailing grounds (moderate winds, mud bottom no rocks to damage hull if you do go aground), lots of sailing schools/clubs, lots of boats for sail, lots of races to participate in if that interests you. No sailing for 3 months of winter but lots of free sailing-related seminars to keep your aquatic mind active. The downside is that the cost of living is higher than other areas; ya gets what ya pays for.

And, when you're ready to move aboard and start cruising you have lots of places to gunkhole, then easy access to the ICW to head south to the Bahamas/Caribbean.
I like the idea of Annapolis as well, but it has been more than 20 years since I have been there, so my vision may be a bit dated. But good sailing, good culture, seems like a nice place to raise kids. As you say it is expense, but as I understand it they have good schools, and services. Someplace like Florida where the cost of living is low, but services are too. Schools and other basic services seem to really be lacking. They seem to be getting worse as well. For me we have picked the last few houses with one thing in mind, the schools. My kids are almost out and they are both looking at top universities, so I think the decisions were worth it. You get what you pay for for the most part. Likely the best job market as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I would say without hesitation: Oriental, NC.
Lots of very quiet waters to sail on, relatively cheap prices, small community atmosphere, great boater support, nice climate allowing you to sail year round while still experiencing 4 seasons, close to both North and South great sailing destinations.
This seems to me to be the furthest place south I think I could live in the US (well perhaps the keys) Good weather but still have seasons and not too hot in the summer. Not sure about the schools, and the politics seem to be on a really weird path. (not being political, just points to a cultural change) Nice thing with NC is you can go a bit west for real mountains, and you have the beaches of the outer-banks. Seems to be a really nice spot. Not sure about the job market here though. (assuming that you have to build the cruising kitty) I would be interested in hearing about the job market in Oriental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Charleston, S.C.
Don't they have very strict anti liveaboard rules? Beautiful city though.

Can you tell I have been thinking about moving? I love New York, but now that my kids are getting out of high school and starting college it is time for me to think of where I want to spend the rest of my working life. Perhaps I will follow them to Boston if they wind up at Harvard/MIT. (two of the top contending schools now)

Last edited by miatapaul; 08-21-2013 at 09:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
John33 (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

West coast alternatives worth considering: Port Townsend, WA or the San Juan Islands, WA. Big sailing culture, awesome scenery, active sailing community year round, lots of destinations nearby.
fryewe likes this.
John33 (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

I'll third Annapolis. Large sailing community. Better protected from hurricanes than coastal areas. Chesapeke has a large variety of destinations. Not an inexpensive area. Plenty of opportunities to crew.
Old 08-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Annapolis is a great sailing town and probably a good place to learn. Once you do, you can come back to New England for your advanced degree in offshore Coastal Cruising.

Annapolis may also be very expensive, although, I'm sure there are nearby areas that are more affordable. It will also have poor sailing conditions in mid-summer for the most part. Very hot, humid and light wind, with routine thunderstorms. I have a buddy that moved his boat from Annapolis to RI for the summer a couple of years back, so he could actually sail it when his kids were out of school. He's never left and flies back and forth. OTOH, the Chessy will certainly provide a longer sailing season than New England, but make no mistake about them having have real winters. Plenty of snow, if not quite like the Northeast.

If living aboard year round, while learning to sail, you won't have the skills to be all that mobile for a while. Therefore, I would choose something further south, so that you truly can stay in one location until you are ready to venture out. No point being shut down for mid-summer or mid-winter.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-22-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I would say without hesitation: Oriental, NC.
Lots of very quiet waters to sail on, relatively cheap prices, small community atmosphere, great boater support, nice climate allowing you to sail year round while still experiencing 4 seasons, close to both North and South great sailing destinations.

+1 on Oriental or Southport, NC area. Oriental is a LOT smaller than Annapolis and the climate is milder. Oriental is a very small town, Southport is also a small town but I feel it has more to offer with a great atmosphere.

I am biased having moved to Southport from Michigan last year. We have an active sailing community here with an affordable small boat sailing program for kids through the local yacht club here in the summer. We also have pretty good schools.

The great part about being mobile is if you don't like the area you can always move.

S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'

Last edited by katsailor; 08-22-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Nice thing with NC is you can go a bit west for real mountains, and you have the beaches of the outer-banks. Seems to be a really nice spot. Not sure about the job market here though. (assuming that you have to build the cruising kitty) I would be interested in hearing about the job market in Oriental.
There are jobs in Oriental, but mostly in service sector. Job market is definitely better in New Bern, just a few miles up Neuse river. New Bern is a great town, good size, and not very expensive. I would say that schools in NC are pretty decent. My kids went to public schools in a rather poor rural county and managed to get degrees from good universities later. If they want to learn, they will be fine in any school IMO.
Old 08-22-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsailor View Post
+1 on Oriental or Southport, NC area.
I like Southport as well. Close enough to a big city (Wilmington) but still quiet and not too crowded. Great for ocean sailing.
Old 08-22-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Hey JamesWilson, tell more about Charleston, please. So far we've only spent a few days each spring/fall migration. Fun city to explore, and wonderful place to be a foodie. Looks like there would be daysailing on the bay. What else? Good community? Marine services? Gunkholing?
I lived in Mount Pleasant, on the other side of the Wando River from Charleston, for 4 years, from 2001 to 2005. It is a beautiful community, great natural harbor, consistent breezes year round, mild winters, the best restaurants, fairly low cost of living, and friendly people.

My only complaints would be breaking into the local job market (which still has a good ole boy network and is somewhat backward - not many jobs outside of shipping, hospitality, and Medical University of South Carolina), the hurricane risks, and the heat and humidity in summer.

It is a great place to visit, to have a second home, to live if you are independently wealthy, and for retirement.
The Following User Says Thank You to jameswilson29 For This Useful Post:
wingNwing (08-22-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.