Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Boston By Air

You've got me thinking of food, and there is a LOT of it in Boston.

Legal is a chain restaraunt, and it is pricy, but the Berkowitz family have created a chain that is well run, and does not disappoint.

One place that you should definitely visit - if only for a drink and an appetizer, is the Union Oyster House (commercial link here) (wikipedia link
). The city of Boston grew up around this venerable establishment, and it defines "quaint."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Lot's of opinions here.

My favorite seafood restaurant in Boston is the Atlantic Fish Company near the Prudential Center. (Nowhere near the water front). Anthony's Pier 4 is closed, but I thought it was overrated. Had two meals there and is was at best good. Legal's, while a chain, has stepped up their game as of late. I think the Barking Crab is a overpriced dump. Go to No Name instead.

As far as The Odyssey - Yes it a hundred people, but the food is decent and the harbor cruise is pretty nice, especially at night. The three times that I have been on it, I had a good meal and good time. All were for company functions. It is also an much more "affordable" dinner/cruise than some others.

I previously posted about mini powerboat tours. I have never been on the mini power boats, just saw them on a show called "Chronicle", a local show featuring events, places, and people around the New England area. I'll let others that know about them better comment.
Old 08-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
What's the rule regarding commercial links? They are OK if they are posted by somebody else, but if you post a commercial link for your own service *even if it is exactly what the original poster is asking about* it will be removed?
Yes.

It is to discourage drive-by businesses that post for free and skedaddle as well as anyone whose every message contains a commercial link and who are clearly here for just that purpose. There are quite a few regularly contributing members who are able to get their businesses softly advertised by being a part of the SailNet community and not just a billboard.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-22-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
But, for sailing in Boston Harbor, those boats like the Adirondack, cram people in like sardines into their well worn, cattle run, cruises. If I would suggest any of those, I would suggest the Welcome Aboard...Tall Ship Formidable Pirate Ship FORMIDABLE ?a Boston Harbor Adventure... not just another harbor cruise?....
FWIW, I disagree. Most of the "sailing" cruises in Boston, like the referenced Formidable and the ubiquitous Liberty Clipper, seem to do very little sailing, if any. These vessels largely if not entirely navigate via their diesels. If you want a harbor cruise on something quaint, go for it. If I were to advise such a trip, I'd say to go with the Roseway Day Sails | World Ocean School, at least the boat ride is on an authentic Gloucester schooner.

The Aridondack seems to actually be sailed, and well at that, and when I see her the guests look quite comfortable.

PS - as I think about it, I wonder why these vessels dont get cited for not flying the proper shape (inverted black cone) which even under Inland rules is required over 12 meters? I trust Triumph flys hers...

Last edited by sailingfool; 08-22-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

All this food talk is making it that much harder to wait! Some great advice here... I'm definitely taking notes and am going to have to plan this out. The charters are out of my budget, so sorry for not responding to those (you're not chopped liver)...

I recently found out my old college roommate is living in Boston, so i'm going to meet up with him. I'm actually going to be tagging along with him on a trip to Acadia the first weekend I'm there. I'm going to be trying to hit up as much local food (seafood, italian, greek, etc.) as I can while I'm there. I'm definitely going to look into the recommendations listed so far (legal seafood, barking crab, No Name, Union oyster house, atlantic fish company, and the north end). I'm not big on touristy places, so local recommendation are good too. Best calamari? Best crab cakes? Probably going to tour the Sam Adams brewery too... Speaking of, what's the best local brew in boston? (I'm sure that won't start a debate!)

Thanks again everyone!

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 08-23-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeAquam View Post
Probably going to tour the Sam Adams brewery too... Speaking of, what's the best local brew in boston? (I'm sure that won't start a debate!)
Sam Adam's isn't it (IMBO). Their beers are decent for a major brewery,and they come up with some unique flavors, but I am partial to Harpoon, Smuttynose, and Ipswich. There are a few other local brews, (Freshman's Brew/Cape Ann Brewing company, and Cisco Brewing Company/Nantucket) that are very good.

For a lot beer choices, while in Boston, if you head out to The Sunset Grill in Allston/Brighton (A section of Boston) they have ~300 beers (world wide) on tap.

DrB
CarpeAquam likes this.
CarpeAquam (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013

rmeador is on a distinguished road

I vote Legal Seafood for seafood -- specifically go to their Legal Harborside location (they have several restaurants throughout the city, this is the one on the water with the amazing views).

If you want steak, I say go to Morton's. Best meal I ever had.

The little speed boats look like a lot of fun, and I would totally do that. I don't think they'd be dangerous if you're reasonably competent. Nothing in life is without risk...

I think you should visit the USS Constitution, if she's still there. This morning they took her out into the harbor for some unannounced purpose (not even a story in the paper for a notice in the LNM), so it's possible she's drydocked now or something, I'll know more when I get home.

I'm a huge fan of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It's a great art museum, but the building itself and the courtyard in particular is the real draw for me.

You should definitely visit the harbor islands. Georges is my favorite for going ashore, but Peddocks is my favorite for picking up a mooring and swimming/grilling/taking in the sights.

The Sam Adams brewery tour is a lot of fun, but I think the Harpoon tour is better, and it's even near the waterfront. I think many people would say Harpoon is the best local beer, at least the best of the big brands. There are so many tiny breweries you can't even count them.

A lot of people seem to enjoy the duck tours, but I haven't been on one since I was a kid so I can't comment on that. If you do take a duck tour, make sure you go with the classic duck tours (they have the ex-military duck boats). There's another company offering Super Duck Tours which are like someone tried to waterproof a schoolbus -- they look very unsafe, and always ride in the water with a significant list to one side. The Super Ducks are the only ones that go into the harbor proper, the regular duck tours stick to the Charles River. It's odd to me that the more seaworthy one would be the one in the more protected water, but that's the way it is.

I agree with a previous poster who commented that most of the "sailing" harbor cruises do not in fact sail. Adirondack III is one of the few who appears to sail most of the time. I think Liberty Clipper sails most of the time too. I have never seen Formidable under sail, and it actually looks really sad... it's a small boat (not a tall ship by any stretch) built in the style of a galleon and it looks like a toy or B-grade movie prop. It does have a cannon, which is a plus, I guess. Most of the harbor cruise boats congregate at the USS Constitution every evening to witness her fire a cannon at sunset, and Formidable often fires back.

Good luck and have fun!
CarpeAquam likes this.
CarpeAquam (08-26-2013)
Old 08-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

The best calamari in Boston? - that's easy; This place is at 323 Hanover Street in the North End, there is seating for 18 (total), and they only take cash, the ORIGINAL Daily Catch. You can watch the cook/chef from your table. The food is served in the pans in which it is cooked, and there is always a line to get in. There are now three restaurants in the area called The Daily Catch, but this one is by far the best. The Daily Catch

After dinner walk down Hanover Street to Modern Pastry Modern Pastry or Maria's (Cross st) | Maria's Pastry for a sfogliatelle,
or if you are real hungry, a lobster tail.

Mike's pastry always seems to have a line out the door, but I am not a fan.
CarpeAquam likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
CarpeAquam (08-26-2013)
Old 08-29-2013

ACKward is on a distinguished road
Boston By Air

My 2 cents (worth even less after taxes):

-- Make Boston Duck Tours one of your highest priorities. It'll pretty much show you the whole city, giving you a chance to see sample all the city's areas/sites and decide which ones you're most interested in exploring further.

-- You can count on Legal for quality seafood as others have said, and their Harborside location is awesome. That said, if you're looking for outstanding food (and maybe you're on a corporate expense account), be sure to pay Neptune Oyster (North End) a visit or Island Creek (Kenmore Sq.).

-- On-water options have been covered extensively by others. I also recommend doing the Harborwalk from the North End pretty much down to Fort Point. It's a great way to see much of the waterfront from land. I also highly recommend a trip over to Charlestown Navy Yard. Really great walking around some of the piers there, seeing Old Ironsides, and stopping at Pier 6 (formerly Tavern on the Water) for a drink. The ferry is $3 from Long Wharf.

-- If you've got a weekend to kill, consider taking a trip out to Nantucket. Flights run from Boston and Hyannis; ferries run from Hyannis and Harwich.

September is an awesome time to be up here; enjoy yourself!
CarpeAquam likes this.
1980 Tartan 37 Hull #228
Harwich Port, MA
The Following User Says Thank You to ACKward For This Useful Post:
CarpeAquam (09-03-2013)
Old 09-20-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

Alright, I'm almost two weeks into my trip and LOVING IT! Thanks everyone for all of the advice! Last weekend I met up with my old college roommate and we went all over boston. I saw a lot of the city and had a lot of amazing food. Legal in Legacy Place is next to my hotel, so I've eaten there at least five times already... I ate at Artu in the North End, The Breakfast Club in Allston, Sunset in Brighton, and several other places, but those were my favorites. Harpoon, Sam Adams, and Jack's Abbey make some great beers up here too!

This weekend I'm heading to the cape. I'm doing breakfast at Arthur & Pat's Restaurant in Marshfield, a brewery tour at Mayflower Brewing Company, and then I'm driving all the way out to Provincetown and renting either a sunfish or a Rhodes 19 to do some sailing. I'm going to hit The Lobster Pot in Provincetown too.

I love this place... I'm ready to move!

(Previously posting as LemonHead)