Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
Boston By Air

Hey SailNet'ers!

I just found out that I'm going to be in Boston for work from September 9th to October 4th and I'm trying to plan my trip. I'm really wanting to see some of the nautical side of the city and (cost allowing) get on the water for a day. I don't have any certifications so chartering won't be an option, but I've looked at paid cruises and such. They look a little "touristy" which I'm not a huge fan of, but maybe...

What I really want to know: What are the MUST SEE sites? What is the best way to get on the water for a day? Where should a seafood lover go for a proper meal? If I had limited time, what would you recommend?

Any advice/recommendations (small or big) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: Boston By Air

Georges Island is really fascinating. It has a civil war fort that was redone in WWI (maybee WWII). It is also haunted by the Lady in Black. There are park rangers out there that I think give tours. You can get there by Ferry. For a proper tour, you should go on Godzilla (Just kidding...I hate that thing) Any tour that takes you out to the islands and the lighthouses would be worth the price of admission. They also now have these small individual boats/personal watercraft that tour the harbor. You have to follow the guide but I bet it gives you great access to the inner harbor. Might be a bit dorky for some. And though I have never done it, many people have told me the Duck Tour is lots of fun.
CarpeAquam likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slayer For This Useful Post:
CarpeAquam (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

If all else fails you can always get a ride on one of the Swan Boats at the Boston Public Garden:

CarpeAquam likes this.
Old 08-21-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Well, lucky for you I happened to read your post!

(commercial link removed)

My wife and I are all set to take you and your guest(s) out in out ketch rigged CT 56 from the North End of Boston, (pretty much the center of things), through the harbor, past the islands, and back.

We can also provide a full dinner, (not the chips and sodas others offer), more like lasagna, etc., with a wide range of beverages!

As far as seafood... well, there is everything from the local lobster pound: James Hook, to a restaurant called The Barking Crab; and a thousand other options.

Would you like to have a traditional lobster & steamers feast onboard the Triumph as you sail around the harbor???

Just say YES, (and give me some money - a few hundred will do), and you will be onboard the finest privately owned sailboat in Boston!

(Commercial Link Removed)

Last edited by tdw; 08-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2013

justflie is on a distinguished road

If anyone here is from an area sailing club they might be able to help. I belong to Piers Park Sailing Center. We just have 23' Sonar day sailors but they're fun. I probably CAN'T take you out, however. Wife is due with our first kid in a couple of weeks so I'll probably be busy! If that changes, I'll let you know if you want to day sail with me.

Carpe, if you're interested in something like this, send me a PM during your stay (maybe 2nd week in September) in Boston to remind me and I'll update you with my availability. I might need a break from the baby!
CarpeAquam likes this.
Old 08-21-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the posts so far! That swan boat looks like "fun"... HAHA! I think I'll stay on land if that's the only option

I've been looking into the island hopping options... cheap and looks like a good day. I may do one of those at the very least.

Justflie, Thanks for the offer! I will PM you when I'm up if I can.

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 08-21-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Boston by Boat

Okay, since I live here, this is the insider scoop. For a Nice Dinner/Harbor Cruise, the Odyssey does a 3 h dinner tour around Boston Harbor. Pricey, but the skyline at night on a nice evening is gorgeous.

Odyssey Boston Dinner Cruises, Harbor Lunch and Brunch at Rowes Wharf

As mentioned, Georges Island is cool too, and the Boston Harbor Water Taxi is how to get there. You can also hop over to Spectacle Island on your way back. Only run until 5/6 PM (Weekly/Weekend).

Boston Harbor Water Transit

For actually sailing, there is the Boston Harbor Sailing Center and the Boston Sailing Center. They may have sailing "tours", but that will probably be a few hundred at least if you want a captain and you can't just rent one of their 30+ ft sailboats without being a member. Don't know about the Solings and Sonars.

There is a Mini Power Boat tour (guided) for $140/boat (2 people) for 1 1/2 h.

Boston Harbor Mini Speed Boats - rates & schedule

Boston Community Boating Center is on the Charles and offers inexpensive rentals for sailing on the Back Bay area of the Charles. Not quite Boston Harbor, but it does allow you to go sailing.

I'd personally do the Odyssey or Harbor Island Water Taxi if you just want a water tour.

For a real "quickie" tour of Boston, do the Duck Tour Boats. ~$30/pp and about a 1 1/2 h tour. They give a narrated tour of the city and then drive into the harbor (water), go through some locks and under bridges, then motor around the Charles River/Bay Back. Fun and gives you a quickie overview of the city and it's history. I recommend this highly.

Here is the a general website that has a whole bunch of water tours (Duck Tour too) in around Boston.

Boston Sightseeing - Cruises and Tours in Boston Massachusetts

DrB
CarpeAquam likes this.
CarpeAquam (08-23-2013)
Old 08-21-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

So what am I chopped liver????

(commercial link removed)

This is the best privately owned sailboat in Boston. Period. Located at Boston Yacht Haven. The best marina in Boston. Look it up!

Sure, you can go on a Odyssey "cruise" with over a HUNDRED OTHER PEOPLE, or on a Boston Sailing Center day cruiser without ANY amenities which has been beaten up by the hundreds of 1 day users, but how about a privately owned 56 footer, in great condition, with the owner and his wife, who are from Boston, and will cater to you!

We sail where you want to sail, this is your boat while you are onboard.

No paper plates / plastic utensils / paper cups, good food(!), new running rigging, want to take the helm?!? No PROBLEM!

FYI, those mini sport boats all have to follow the leader, at about 5 knots max... it looks pathetic. I see them every day looking as bored as can be. Like a troop of little ducklings following the leader boat / duck... NO, you won't like that.

We have better food than Odyssey, MUCH BETTER, are not all worn out from the hundreds of people going through that cattle run every day, and we have sails, which are clean!

The very best (and apparently secret) way to cruise Boston Harbor is aboard the S/V Triumph.

Last edited by tdw; 08-21-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2013

justflie is on a distinguished road

I second Doug about those little power boats. Not so much for speed, but for safety. Really low in the water, busy harbor. I saw one goose the throttle up and over a wave and he was completely airborn! Certainly an interesting concept, but not for me
Old 08-21-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

If chopped liver is not for you, I think this operation seems to provide a good sail experience:
Adirondack III - Boston Harbor Sailing, Sightseeing Boat Trips, Romantic Sunset Cruise, and Sail Boston | Classic Harbor Line - Boston

Also you will be in town for a popular race, check here and sign up as crew:
Regatta: Boston Harbor Island Alliance
post your contact info at local spots such as Constitution Marina and you should be able to get a ride.
CarpeAquam likes this.
CarpeAquam (08-23-2013)