Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013
High Desert Guy

Ziaduck is on a distinguished road
Advice on this Catalina 22

I've been in the market (again) for a trailer sailor in the 19'-22' range, and today looked at a local 1975 Catalina 22'. Overall the boat isn't terrible and needs normal maintenance and updating.

I would like your input on a few things as I don't pretend to be an expert. There is some damage to the fiberglass of the keel trunk near the front. I found it while inspecting the boat, and the owner (older gentlemen who's been sailing for at least 40 years) was unaware of it. Can anyone tell me if this is a serious red flag, or just something cosmetic?

Access under dinette seat for location purposes:
]

Different shots of the issue:

Also, Are these compartments usually filled with foam? One is under the v-berth and the other under the quarter berth:

Also, it appears the sides of the bottom of the cockpit was re-glassed at some point. Not sure what to think about it:

I appreciate all input!

Last edited by Ziaduck; 08-21-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on this Catalina 22

Holy Cow!! That is weird. Are you seeing the keel from inside?I would be very scared. Those compartments are not filled on my boat. I would walk away.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Old 08-21-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I don't have a C22, but I'm not aware of Catalina filling any compartments with foam. However, you can't see what the foam may be hiding.

I wouldn't worry about the sides of the cockpit being re-glassed as long as when you look at it from inside the storage locker you don't see any signs of serious damage. It could simply be issues from flexing, especially if it was on a trailer.

That first hole concerns me. But, if it was me and the boat was reasonably priced and everything else (rigging, sails, etc) was in decent shape, as long as it was above the water line, I'd simply fix it and move on. My first boat was a project 22 and I did some fiberglass repairs on it. I wasn't much concerned about doing my own repairs as long as it wasn't below the waterline.

Not knowing what's behind that foam would be a deal breaker for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-21-2013
High Desert Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Holy Cow!! That is weird. Are you seeing the keel from inside?I would be very scared. Those compartments are not filled on my boat. I would walk away.
Not the keel, it appears to be a wood brace in front of the keel.
Old 08-21-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Yeah I see it now. I don't know...I suppose you could just glass it up;.but its a bad place to have rot... and the cockpit too, must have leaked and might have rot..... The foam may be a home made floatation system..... I dont remember anything critical in those areas... the keel is pretty damn critical...

Work the keel and see if it flexes....look at it from above and below.... then if you think its solid..... bid cheaply. I got mine, dirty but rock frigging solid...... very cheap.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 08-21-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

I don't remember there being anything but empty space where the foam is, but it's been a while since I sold my 22. I'm guessing the guy was after positive floatation.

As for the glass over the wood stringer, take a scratch awl and probe the wood. If it's solid you're probably OK just glassing it up.

Try going here Catalina 22 - SailboatOwners.com and ask the question. Somebody over there has seen and fixed this same problem.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-21-2013
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Walk away the foam was most likely to cover up problems. On one of my first boats the previous owner did it. Just walk away keep looking always better deals out there. To remove foam like that you r looking at about 30 hours of work with shovels, saws, and every thing else you have. My personal advise from first hand experience
Old 08-22-2013
High Desert Guy

Thank you all for the advice! I'm in no major rush (though I'd like to buy one soon) so I don't mind passing on this one.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.