Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013

justified is on a distinguished road
Re: Scary night sail

David
I forgot to mention this , but when looking at the pictures do you think that it might be an easier docking if Charlie was to see if he could swap spots with the power boat. That way you could come a long side the long main dock first before getting into the slip.
Just a thought

Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

We spent the day with you and your wonderful wife and you never bragged how gracious and giving you are. I guess that's the way it is with people like you and D. You don't talk, you just do. So happy things worked out well on this journey and so happy we met.
Old 08-22-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justified View Post
David
I forgot to mention this , but when looking at the pictures do you think that it might be an easier docking if Charlie was to see if he could swap spots with the power boat. That way you could come a long side the long main dock first before getting into the slip.
Just a thought

Peter

Yes coming in would be easier but I'm thinking that getting out might still be a little tricky if their is a cross wind.

He is trying to get a t end slip

Last edited by davidpm; 08-22-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
Great story. As I read it I became increasingly worried that it wasn't going to work out so well, so kudos to you. I'm sure Charlie and his wife will be talking about that sail - and the blue moon - for a long time.
Thanks

While I'm enjoying everyone's appreciation to be truthful the reason I did it was probably only 10 to 20 percent altruistic. Yes I had the keys to a half dozen other boats I could have sailed that night. This particular opportunity was different however and a little challenging but not too challenging.

I can't honestly say I did it primarily for Charlie's benefit. Like you said it looks like it worked out great for him so that's an added benefit.

The reason I posted this story is not to recount a good deed because as I've said I had my own reasons for doing it.

I had two reasons to post it.
1. I am awed and humbled by Charlie's perseverance, patience and courage.
2. As you said it could have not worked out so well. If somthing went wrong it would have been easy for someone to point out why I should have done things differently. So I guess I wanted to post a story where folks pushed the boundaries a little and got away with it.

So often on SailNet people post stories where something goes wrong and a lot of us berate the person for perceived failings. That is good too of course we all learn for other peoples mistakes. I thought though it was neat to be able to post a story where a little risk was taken and it all worked out.

In truth the risk was mostly in my mind. It was perfect weather and seatow is in our marina so help was 10 minutes away. The real risk was to my ego and maybe a little fiberglass or gel coat.

I was mostly worried about doing something that would get his insurance canceled.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-22-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2013

Mary Flower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Neither Charlie or his wife can just slide over in their seat a couple feet to make room for someone else to reach gear they are in the way of.

That slide alone can take a while while he positions his feet with his hands then moves his body with his hands. It takes time especially when each step may only move him six inches. There is no way I can think of to modify the boat to run all lines to behind the wheel. Even if this was done I don't seem him being fast enough to switch from one side to the other.
I took a friend of ours who uses a wheelchair to the Judd Goldman Adaptive Sailing Program in Chicago. She is completely paralyzed below the waist so I was certainly wondering how she would be able to do the things necessary to sail a boat. I was pleasantly surprised to see that, with only a few not too extravagant adaptations, the boats were easily sailed by two people with very limited mobility. One person at the helm - which was a sort of bucket seat on a pivot that allowed the person to move from one side of the cockpit to the other - and the second person, also in a pivoting seat, stationed at the front of the cockpit handling all lines, sheets and halyards which were led to the cockpit.

Here are some links to videos that may give you some ideas as to how you might modify Charles' boat to enable him to be more able to handle it.

JGASP :: Adaptive Sailing Program
The Following User Says Thank You to Mary Flower For This Useful Post:
davidpm (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Great story. So glad you did share it. It put a smile on my face.

It really reminded me on a simple level what joy and fun boats, sailing and the water can bring to people.

I am glad you are honest enough to post an account where maybe you took some risks some of which your not sure about, and where stuff happened that didn't follow the textbook.

I have done silly things, all sailors have, sometimes with good reasons sometimes without.

Refreshing to see genuineness and honesty on Sailnet, without lecturing and tut-tutting.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to chall03 For This Useful Post:
davidpm (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

When I first signed onto this site, I got a lot of flak for being un-educated, un-prepared, and taking unnecessary risks. Some of those people who tsk'd me have moved on.

Unfortunately, it seems that same Sailnet Nanny-ism has been beaten into my brain, because I found myself "tsk'ing" you for setting out with physically challenged passengers, no able-bodied crew, on a questionable boat, at night. That was wrong of me.

I'm not going to cluck my tounge at you. You did it successfully, conditions were benign, you are familiar with the area (at night too), Seatow was close by.

I kind of feel like your friend put you in a compromising position though.
One by one, people showed up that you were expecting to be able-bodied, and it turns out that they really weren't. The boat's systems are questionable. Your friend is the owner, but he put you in the position of "skipper", which is the position of supreme responsibility.

Continue to help your friend, but insist that the boat be a little better prepared in the future, if he wants your assistance:

Engine in reliable working order.
Anchor ready to deploy.
Helm station equipped so that the owner can drive and SEE where he's going.
Navigation lights in working order.
VHF in working order? (or bring your own hand-held unit)

I singlehand my 30 footer most of the time, so you should be able to handle his boat little to no help, IF the systems are in good working order. I admit that an Allmand 31 is a couple thousand pounds heavier though, so you'll have to work harder than I do.

Anyway, good on ya for getting them out.
I, myself will be racing in the CRAB regatta this weekend:
CRAB
eherlihy and davidpm like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleheadMd For This Useful Post:
LakeMi (09-10-2013)
Old 08-23-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

You done good! Well done.
Old 08-23-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Great story, thank you for sharing. Love the happy ending!
I remember taking my 'big' boat out with my kids. They were pretty small but I gave them each a very specific task to do on the boat. It was somewhat useful to me but it was also very important to them - they did not feel like passengers, but like a crew. They have great memories from those sailing days. If I was to comment on your trip, that is what I would have done differently - give all these folks something 'important' to do.
Old 08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Great story, thank you for sharing. Love the happy ending!
I remember taking my 'big' boat out with my kids. They were pretty small but I gave them each a very specific task to do on the boat. It was somewhat useful to me but it was also very important to them - they did not feel like passengers, but like a crew. They have great memories from those sailing days. If I was to comment on your trip, that is what I would have done differently - give all these folks something 'important' to do.
Great advice.
The shortage was in my telling of the story.

The father was at the helm
The daughter was positioned to throw me the stern line.
The Cousin was tailing and doing lazy sheet etc.
The wife was lookout and did a good job.

I totally agree I let people help as much as they are able.
krisscross likes this.