Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: Scary night sail

Great story...not boring at all.

Quote:
At first every time he put it in gear and the dock lines snapped his wife excitedly urged caution.
If I was making a movie I'd really enjoy shooting that scene.
zeehag likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Sometimes all you can do is go for it. While I agree with Bubble that Charles put you in a tough spot, in the end you were right, the boat was OK for your purposes. You helped Charles learn more about the boat's shortcomings and what needs to be addressed, and that is invaluable. More importantly, you helped him prove that his ultimate goal is possible. Maybe not yet, but soon.

I like the extra steps that were in the cabin. Did Charles make them himself? Is he able to get in and out OK? One big advantage of the Allmands is the way the cockpit is laid out. It seems like the port-side seat would be perfect for his wife because she could be positioned out of the way while still being "in the mix". I wonder if he wouldn't benefit from removing the aft locker and setting it up so his wheelchair could go there. Maybe a few changes to the angles on the seats near the wheel, too, this way he can get in and out faster while in the chair. A forward-looking camera mounted either on the bow or in front of the traveler would give him the visibility he needs.

Was the main halyard run back to the cockpit?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
had a great time and I pushed my boundaries just a little
When I'm scared or nervous in a situation, I am always trying to figure out if I need a little courage to push my boundaries, or if I'm in over my head.

Pushing boundaries safely helps one grow as a sailor. Playing it safe ALL the time hobbles us.

Nice story. A appreciated the details. I also appreciated the warning at the beginning. It allowed me to empty my bladder and refresh my beer before reading.

MedSailor
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-24-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post

I like the extra steps that were in the cabin. Did Charles make them himself? Is he able to get in and out OK? One big advantage of the Allmands is the way the cockpit is laid out. It seems like the port-side seat would be perfect for his wife because she could be positioned out of the way while still being "in the mix". I wonder if he wouldn't benefit from removing the aft locker and setting it up so his wheelchair could go there. Maybe a few changes to the angles on the seats near the wheel, too, this way he can get in and out faster while in the chair. A forward-looking camera mounted either on the bow or in front of the traveler would give him the visibility he needs.

Was the main halyard run back to the cockpit?
Lot of good ideas hear I will tell him about.

He already mentioned a scissors chair but I didn't think about removing the aft locker.
Forward camera. yes of course.
zeehag likes this.
Old 08-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
When I'm scared or nervous in a situation, I am always trying to figure out if I need a little courage to push my boundaries, or if I'm in over my head.

Pushing boundaries safely helps one grow as a sailor. Playing it safe ALL the time hobbles us.

Nice story. A appreciated the details. I also appreciated the warning at the beginning. It allowed me to empty my bladder and refresh my beer before reading.

MedSailor
It's more fun pushing the boundaries too!!
And sometimes it is inevitable we will goof up.
zeehag likes this.
Old 08-27-2013

Thought you guys might like to hear the latest installment. I just got off the phone with Charlie.

Last weekend the Power squadron had a little rally between CT and Mattituck LI across the sound.

I didn't go so Charlie got a Power Squadron Guy (PSG) to skipper.

They got a really late start but got out of the slip ok and decided to fuel up on the way out.
The fuel dock is port side parallel to the channel on the way out.

PSG was steering and noticed a large fast powerboat heading in aiming for the fuel dock also. He decided to back off and let the power boat go first. After putting the boat in reverse the stern kicked to the port then the engine stopped. Remember how I said the throttle was very sensitive and idle and off were hard to distinguish.

They were blown into the docked boats and were fending off by hand. Charlie got his had between the boats and broke it. They got towed out by the marina guys and got fuel they exchange insurance info with the two boats they hit.
By then the engine started and they decided to continue.
By the time they made the Mattituck inlet it was dark. They shortly grounded and called for sea tow.
A short time later the tide floated them off and they went a little further then grounded again.
A little later they floated off again and finally made their slip.
On the way back the next day Charlie noticed his hand is swelled up and he canít close his fingers.
He goes to the doctor the next day and finds out his had had a broken bone.
Any way Iím trying to get Charlie to see that an engine that takes five minutes to restart after running for a while is not normal.
Old 08-28-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thought you guys might like to hear the latest installment. I just got off the phone with Charlie....

...They were blown into the docked boats and were fending off by hand. Charlie got his had between the boats and broke it...

...They shortly grounded and called for sea tow...

...A short time later the tide floated them off and they went a little further then grounded again...

Perfect time for the "unlike button". Getting the engine fixed, and having an anchor that is rapidly deployable sound like priorities...

MedSailor
davidpm likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-28-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thought you guys might like to hear the latest installment. I just got off the phone with Charlie.

Last weekend the Power squadron had a little rally between CT and Mattituck LI across the sound.

I didn't go so Charlie got a Power Squadron Guy (PSG) to skipper.

They got a really late start but got out of the slip ok and decided to fuel up on the way out.
The fuel dock is port side parallel to the channel on the way out.

PSG was steering and noticed a large fast powerboat heading in aiming for the fuel dock also. He decided to back off and let the power boat go first. After putting the boat in reverse the stern kicked to the port then the engine stopped. Remember how I said the throttle was very sensitive and idle and off were hard to distinguish.

They were blown into the docked boats and were fending off by hand. Charlie got his had between the boats and broke it. They got towed out by the marina guys and got fuel they exchange insurance info with the two boats they hit.
By then the engine started and they decided to continue.
By the time they made the Mattituck inlet it was dark. They shortly grounded and called for sea tow.
A short time later the tide floated them off and they went a little further then grounded again.
A little later they floated off again and finally made their slip.
On the way back the next day Charlie noticed his hand is swelled up and he can’t close his fingers.
He goes to the doctor the next day and finds out his had had a broken bone.
Any way I’m trying to get Charlie to see that an engine that takes five minutes to restart after running for a while is not normal.
Sounds like Mattituck Inlet is still just as crappy as I remember it 40 years ago. Good to know some things never change.
davidpm likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-28-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-28-2013

joelsanda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He was sanding the bottom from his wheelchair in the winter.
That is some serious determination.

You know ... if there is someone teaching ASA classes I am sure he could find people willing to crew. I would have liked an opportunity like this when I finished mine and did not have a membership in the school's sailing club.

He may want someone with more salt than recent ASA graduates - I put a nice scratch in the gel coat on my first return and it was daylight and I have no mobility issues :-) If that guy sanded the bottom from his wheelchair over the winter I'm sure he won't have problems borrowing a set of legs attached to an eager sailor. If I was nearby I'd offer to crew for a chance to sail.
davidpm and aeventyr60 like this.
Old 08-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsanda View Post
That is some serious determination.

You know ... if there is someone teaching ASA classes I am sure he could find people willing to crew. I would have liked an opportunity like this when I finished mine and did not have a membership in the school's sailing club.
That is a great idea. I'll mention it to him.
There are no ASA schools nearby, I've looked. I got my ASA teachers qualification this spring and haven't been able to use it.
Might have to start my own school.
Brewer's is the 900 lb gorilla here and they don't do ASA.

Your right though he may need a little more experience as he has none himself.

Not stopping the trip for a broken finger though. That's hard core.

Not sure how much of my own license I'm willing to risk until he gets the throttle and starting issues fixed though. The first time I got lucky.