SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Remote helm (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/102844-remote-helm.html)

davidpm 08-22-2013 11:04 PM

Remote helm

Has anyone heard of a remote helm.

That way could could control the throttle, shift and steering from a wireless hand held box.

For someone single handing it would be handy to be able to control the helm from the bow.

Probably would be pretty easy to do with the new pod drives.

jimgo 08-22-2013 11:46 PM

Re: Remote helm

Given your profile picture, why not just train your dog to work the throttle too?

FSMike 08-23-2013 12:11 AM

See them frequently on large motor yachts.
Just a matter of writing the check lol.

JonEisberg 08-23-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 1078149)
Has anyone heard of a remote helm.

That way could could control the throttle, shift and steering from a wireless hand held box.

For someone single handing it would be handy to be able to control the helm from the bow.

Probably would be pretty easy to do with the new pod drives.

They've been around for some time, and are becoming more and more common on larger powerboats, given the incredibly poor visibility and sightlines from the helm on many boats today... Frankly, such gizmos scare the hell out of me, I've witnessed more than one instance of them going haywire, I want to be at the helm if anything goes wrong... Perhaps the closest call i have EVER had with a boat involved the failure of an engine control while maneuvering in a tight spot, I dread the thought of the possible outcome if I had been somewhere other than at the helm at the time :-)

As such systems require the installation of electronic controls, they would certainly not be applicable to the types of boats most of us sail... I've run plenty of powerboats with electronic controls, and secondary control stations, but I've yet to come across a sailboat with electronic controls at the helm...

Dock n' Go Joysticks excepted, of course :-)

Perhaps it's just me, but I've done my fair share of singlehanding, and I'm hard-pressed to recall an instance where I thought controlling the helm from to bow would be much of an advantage...

davidpm 08-23-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSMike (Post 1078176)
See them frequently on large motor yachts.
Just a matter of writing the check lol.

Really.
What it the purpose in this case?
Convenience for fishing?

What does the control look like?

You can tell I don't have much time on large motor yachts.

Capt Len 08-23-2013 12:39 AM

Just a couple of months ago in Victoria a large motor yacht under remote control backed full speed over a sailboat in an adjoining marina and into rock wall .Big holes in both but the wall is OK.

Classic30 08-23-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 1078183)
Really.
Convenience for fishing?

You can tell I don't have much time on large motor yachts.

Here you go, David. Read all about it: :)

Sail-World.com : Beneteau's 'Dock & Go' - taking docking to a new level

(..and I guess you could correctly call a large Bendytoe a "motor yacht".. given that it's owners probably do spend a lot of time under motor..)

JonEisberg 08-23-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic30 (Post 1078195)
Here you go, David. Read all about it: :)

Sail-World.com : Beneteau's 'Dock & Go' - taking docking to a new level

(..and I guess you could correctly call a large Bendytoe a "motor yacht".. given that it's owners probably do spend a lot of time under motor..)

Yup, I'd say the fact that Jeanneau's promotional video uses a boat completely devoid of sails speaks volumes :-)

Perhaps the most impressive feature of the 360 Docking system, is the way in which it apparently ties the boat up for you automatically, as well:

Capt.Alex 08-23-2013 08:15 AM

This is the most common one available. Like others have said, they seem to be most common on mid sized power boats that are owner operated or have a small crew.

Yacht Controller - Wireless Remote Control of Your Yacht

JonEisberg 08-23-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Really.
Convenience for fishing?

Docking/maneuvering in close quarters, mostly... It's astonishing, how restricted the all-around visibility can be from the helm on the bridge of many of today's motoryachts...

Try to imagine backing a boat like this into a slip or Med mooring, while standing at the helm... Looking aft on many boats like this, one cannot see ANYTHING at water level within a boat length, or more... It's no surprise so many of these boats rely on stern-mounted video cameras, as an assist...

http://yachtsaleboats.com/wp-content...rer-72c--1.jpg

Many boats like this will have a second control station aft, for such maneuvering, definitely the better way to go than a wireless system... a friend of mine was aboard a 72 Grand Banks being backed into a slip at Ocean Reef by her professional captain, when something went wrong with the wireless controller... did tens of thousands of dollars damage to the transom, and pretty much destroyed a portion of the dock, as well. Very fortunate no one was hurt in that one...

Quote:

Little different from a TV/DVD remote, which seems appropriate, of course :-)

Here's one example...

Yacht Controller - Wireless Remote Control of Your Yacht

http://www.yachtcontroller.com/images/YC_DB_web2.jpg