Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By T37Chef
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Paella burner

Has anyone ever mounted one to their rail? My BBQ grill would not be wide enough to hold a paella pan, but it dawned on me that this dish is a perfect meal aboard, especially if we have guests. A 15" paella pan will feed 4 to 6 easily.

Not sure that wind would make it practical on the rail, but thought I would see if there are any members in Spain that couldn't live without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Paella burner

[QUOTE=Minnewaska;1078278]Has anyone ever mounted one to their rail? My BBQ grill would not be wide enough to hold a paella pan, but it dawned on me that this dish is a perfect meal aboard, especially if we have guests. A 15" paella pan will feed 4 to 6 easily.

When are you heading for the Eastern Caribbean?
Nikki will make her dynamite rum punch and I'll find a few "bugs" for the paella.
I'm hungry already!
Old 08-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Has anyone ever mounted one to their rail? My BBQ grill would not be wide enough to hold a paella pan, but it dawned on me that this dish is a perfect meal aboard, especially if we have guests. A 15" paella pan will feed 4 to 6 easily.
When are you heading for the Eastern Caribbean?
Nikki will make her dynamite rum punch and I'll find a few "bugs" for the paella.
I'm hungry already!
Need to get a rig on the rail first. I've located some portable burners, but nothing that seems readily mountable yet. Not crazy about running one in the galley off a propane bottle either, but it would certainly work well. I'm sure I could get the job done with the paella pan on the stove, but the heat would be uneven, which is fairly important.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-23-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I make it often using our magma grill, at anchor not under sail however. Although that was on the old grill where I could remove the lid, geez not sure it will fit on the new grill. Just use a Saute pan then, maybe not paella anymore but I doubt anyone will complain.
Dharmabum likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-23-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Try the WOK ring that you use on your home stove, it will support a large pan on the BBQ

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-23-2013

Unfortunately, the lid on my BBQ prevents any pan from fitting, ring or not.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 08-31-2013

Rail mounted burner was unnecessary. A 13" paella pan fit nicely over the largest burner in the galley. This was the maiden voyage out at anchor last night......

Chorizo, shrimp, scallops, mussels, green beans, peas and roasted red peppers. This pic taken with another few mins to go till done. Spanish rice, saffron and paprika just became boat staples!

Paella burner-image.jpg

Edit.... No idea why the pic is upside down. Sry.
T37Chef likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS