Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013

domromer is on a distinguished road
Hobie wave vs 16 in the ocean?

Hey all, another question for you. I'm getting closer to getting my own cat and I've been sailing waves and 16s at my local sailing club. I like the wave because it's roomy, comfortable, and easy to rig. I like the speed of the 16. Much faster than the wave in light wind which is nice. The real decision maker is going to be how the boats ride in the ocean. I plan on doing a lot of ocean sailing and unfortunately I can't take the boats from the sailing club out of the bay. Will there big a big difference in how these two boats handle waves and chop? Is there a strong reason to get one over another based on ocean performance. Right now I'm leaning towards the wave as I value simplicity and comfort over speed. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Hobie wave vs 16 in the ocean?

big waves you want length. the shorter the boat the easier it is to pitch pole. for the ocean the Prindle 16 is a better boat, Hobie 16 next and the wave is not even a good idea. The Wave is a toy boat and designed to be bay sailed. better yet get an 18' Hobie or Prindle or Nacra. the 2' extra makes a very big difference in the waves.
Old 08-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Get the Nacra 18 or 20 if you can afford it. You want big and strong - and fast is nice as well. Old boats are old. New boats are fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-25-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

When I was a kid Prindle 16 was what I started with, later went to work for Sol Cat to support my surfing habit and started sailing the SC18, prindle was a great cat but the SC18 was killer with the Nacra being a wee bit better

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-25-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
Hey all, another question for you. I'm getting closer to getting my own cat and I've been sailing waves and 16s at my local sailing club. I like the wave because it's roomy, comfortable, and easy to rig. I like the speed of the 16. Much faster than the wave in light wind which is nice. The real decision maker is going to be how the boats ride in the ocean. I plan on doing a lot of ocean sailing and unfortunately I can't take the boats from the sailing club out of the bay. Will there big a big difference in how these two boats handle waves and chop? Is there a strong reason to get one over another based on ocean performance. Right now I'm leaning towards the wave as I value simplicity and comfort over speed. Your thoughts?
Huge difference between the boats. The Wave is a toy - the 16 is a serious boat (with flaws). The 16 isn't "much faster in light wind" -- it is much faster period. The difference in set-up times is negligible (less than 5 mins diff once you're experienced). It is also much more capable. Waves and chop on the "wave", forget it. Others have suggested Prindles or a NACRA and that is fine but the H-16 is a good entry level beachcat that is plenty capable of handling ocean conditions. The Wave however is a toy that is made for resort rentals and benign conditions. With an H-16 you'll be sailing with a large class of established sailors who can teach you a lot . . . there is no similar group of wave sailors. This is a no-brainer --- buy an H-16.

Have fun! (I miss mine)

Check out thebeachcats.com
Old 08-25-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Personally I would go with whatever aint a hobie.
Old 08-25-2013

Lucky dog 2 is on a distinguished road

I have been sailing a H16 and dry bags fr camping gear on Lake Superior for years. We get winds over 35k on a regular bases. Using quick release pins for the shrouds I can pull up to a ramps and be sailing in less then 15 minutes. Once the stink pots have figures out how to back up a trail or and have gotten out of the way. The is a video from the 80's about 3 H18 sailing the Alaskan coast, that very cool. The only real issue I have every had was taking the jib down will bouncing around inthe chop. I have switched to the 17 sport, it has a roll furling jib and wings for more room and a back rest.
Old 08-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

It's funny, I don't recalled the OP saying anything about Pridels or any other boats. I'll bet he has done the research and has narrowed down to these two.

I lived on the beach in Ocean City , NJ for 18 years and we had a Hobie 16 parked in front of it. We did nothing but Ocean sail it. They are robust great boats and no maintainence easy to set up and sail.

I would not by any of the other " knock offs" for a couple reasons. First is availability of parts. Many more Hobies than the others so more dealers. And second , they are a one design racing boat with a following world wide or even US wide and should you e re decide you'd like to enter some of the competitions you could. ( my daughter and I were rank high in the 90s in NJ and raced in the Nationals.

The Wave is a nice boat, but I think the 16 is a better setup for the ocean with the added weight and length.

The 16 is a great boat. I even towed my 99 lb daughter behind it water skiing when we sailed after a hurricane had passed in 25 knot winds.
TJC45 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-26-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

I've never sailed a Wave, but the boat has a solid following. Consummate Catamaran Guru Rick White sponsors a Wave regatta every year in the Florida Keys. The boats seem to hold up to ocean sailing conditions just fine. Hobie, brought the Wave to market to appeal to a different type of user. One who wanted simplicity and was willing to give up some performance. To the best of my knowledge, the Wave has no nasty habits.

All of that said, I've got to back up what Chef said about the H16. I too have extensive Hobie16 experience. Much of that time playing in the ocean. The boat rides great in the ocean. It punches through surf to get off the beach, accelerating quickly. Coming back to the beach just as easy. The Hobie 16's overblown reputation for pitch poling is even less likely in the ocean where the wind blown chop is more likely to be wind blown swells.

The H16 is plenty strong. AS posted elsewhere i survived getting tubed in Barnegat Inlet by two 12 foot breakers. My crew and I were barely hanging on to the lacing when the boat popped back to the surface and kept on sailing!!! Once through the break zone we were flying off the tops of steep mountainous swells of 6 to 8 feet. As it did this the boat would drop from under us with us pounding down onto the tramp. We were on the edge of control as we sailed the boat to tamer conditions a couple miles offshore. No damage to the boat, just two battered sailors! Point being the boat is really strong!!!! That same boat sails today at age 25. High quality and well built are two terms I always use to describe Hobie products.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

On the subject of Hobie 18s and Nacras. Both are faster than an H16. IMO, neither is as comfortable. With the tramp at hull level the ride is somewhat wetter on these boats. Both are more complicated, more so the Nacras. And the Nacras have what i would call sharp edges. Just not as user friendly as the H16.

The newer class of Nacras, the current F series boat as well as the 10 year old Inters are not a robust as the H16s,18s, or old Nacras. Saving weight has a cost. But can those boats fly!!!!!

If the primary objective is the need for speed, go Nacra. If user friendliness is the number one objective I would go Wave. If you want user friendly, A good turn of speed, huge class, and lots of support, H16

Last edited by TJC45; 08-26-2013 at 01:42 PM.