Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Mooring Saver

Do you ever go someplace like Annapolis where you cannot reserve a mooring? I.E. if you sail up the river for lunch, your mooring will be grabbed by someone else when you get back unless you leave your dinghy on it. You might want your dinghy where you are going to be able get ashore and eat on the beach or go tubing or whatever.
So........the answer is 2 dinghies obviously. But not just ANY two - this one is the BEST second dinghy ever
Just ordered one for $12 and free shipping! (WARNING - do NOT actually use this thing for transportation anyplace you wouldn't want to swim home from)

Amazon.com: Intex Explorer 200 Boat: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Intex Explorer 200 Boat: Sports & Outdoors

dvuyxx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring Saver

Do they allow you to save a mooring with a dinghy? That isn't allowed on the WA State Moorings. If you want to hold your mooring you have to do it with a bigger boat.
Old 08-25-2013

Dinghies are OK in Annapolis. Also note that I am talking about moorings I pay for. If I pay for 3 days and sail up the river for 4 hours it is annoying to not have the mooring OR the money

Old 08-25-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Huh?, don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Dinghies are OK in Annapolis. Also note that I am talking about moorings I pay for. If I pay for 3 days and sail up the river for 4 hours it is annoying to not have the mooring OR the money
If you pay for three days, how can someone take it? If you want to take off for a few hours, call the marina where your renting the mooring from and tell them you going for a day sail, but will be back.
Old 08-25-2013

That is the exact problem. Annapolis does NOT reserve any moorings. If no one is there, it is free. If you leave, no matter if you paid for the next 10 days, it is free and anyone else can grab it. Thus the $12 dinghy

Old 08-25-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

What would better is an inflatable scale replica of your sailboat.
Old 08-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I never pay in advance for a "first come first served" mooring, unless I do not plan to leave intermittently.

If they don't accept reservations, your fake dinghy may not actually entitle you to reserve it either. So you sail back and someone tied up anyway. Now what would you do? If the policy is no reservations, no one will help you resolve this. Just don't pay in advance, if you plan to leave. Don't leave, if you aren't willing to lose the mooring. Unfortunately, that's the way it works in crowded tourist towns with no reservations.
Alex W likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-26-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Although you are technically correct, taking someone's paid mooring, that has a dinghy attached to it, is the very height of douche-baggery.

Such a person would be entitled to the very best profanity-laced tirade that my 20 year, naval career could produce.
RobGallagher likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

How would one know its paid for, just because it has a $12 unusable inflated POS tied to it? That only says someone has been there, not necessarily paid for it. It may even be a buddy who arrived earlier and is trying to save it for a late arriving friend.

I'm not advocating poaching. I'm just thinking you will have a hard time saving your seat on the bus, if you get off.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-26-2013

The tradition in Annapolis is dinghy = someone is there and the mooring is not available. The harbormaster is cool with that. What they don't feel like doing is keeping track of the money paid vs. free moorings and trying to chase people off moorings that are unoccupied but paid for. If someone did steal my dinghy and take my mooring they wouldn't be on it for long when I got back

As for "knowing it is paid for", you don't KNOW that no matter what kind of boat is on there. Plenty of people don't pay and hope to not get caught. Back in the day that would work about 50% of the time, but now they are much better at finding you and putting a "pay up or else" note on the boat.

There was a mooring someone tied a lifejacket to over the 4th. People were asking the harbormaster about it on the radio and they stated that "It has to be a boat of some kind. A lifejacket doesn't count". Someone eventually grabbed it, no idea if it was the lifejacket owner or someone else.

Last edited by Coquina; 08-26-2013 at 09:12 AM.