SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

All is Lost

18K views 80 replies 48 participants last post by  NewportNewbie 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Just read the article from Cruising World aand I cant wait for this film to come out. Redford is great at the stoic subtle light on verbage acting and a feature film with millions of dollars of budget about a SOLO sailor is very cool! A movie ffor sailors does not happppen too often. Also, it sounds like they have been using the best of the experts to be as accuarate as possible so it could even be educational.. thats my excuse for spending the bank to go to the movies!

#6 ·
Thanks for mentioning this Harborless. I want to see this movie and I figured that here is a sailing movie that my wife will actually watch, besides anything with Johnny Depp..

Then I thought----no..........better not take her. Then she will reallly be afraid to sail. But I'm going to watch it for sure.

#15 ·
Well it was only a 3 minutes preview. Well see how well or not the boat is equipped in October. I would be very dissapointed if the movie was absurd to sailors who know port from starboard. I really hope its like a Master and Commander set up so far as accuaracy. I love that, ovie btw, wonderful flick and the novel series is even better. Anyway im still excited to see it so well see

#19 · (Edited)
All the reviews say the movie is really good. I just can't see it being "that" good. What is the story line. A man goes out sailing single handed and hits a container and the boat sinks, he ends up in a life raft waiting to get rescued. Has happened many times over the years. Old story.

In any case if he had been sailing an S&S 34 none of this would have happened...

S&S 34 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll see the movie at some point, should be entertaining.

#23 ·
In any case if he had been sailing an S&S 34 none of this would have happened...

S&S 34 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No doubt the S&S 34 is a great boat, but this is the first I've heard that they are unsinkable :)

I'll bet that offset companionway on Redford's boat is what finally does him in :)

Hell, it's lucky he survived that trip up the mast, relying on an external spinnaker halyard, and all...

Probably safe to assume the any rep for the insurance underwriter who may have been on the set, is not a sailor :)

#21 ·
Don't know. But a lot of stuff is around Hawaii now. Charter fish boat last week said they saw some type of huge piling/telephone pole (with cables wrapped at its base) floating in the ocean 30 miles north of Oahu. This thing was floating vertically about 3 feet above the water and 30 feet below. Very little bouyancy which means it was going up and down in the waves meaning at times the thing was totally submerege, then floating up with incredible momentum. Figuring this thing weighed a couple tons or more it could punch a hole right through a fiberglass hull. There have also been 4 small fishing boats (20-24 feet long) found washed up on the beach- all confirmed from Japan tsunami.

#25 ·
Why go to sea without HF, Sat, etc? ...it was in the moviescript. Hard to build the drama when the star has all the gizmos to avoid disaster. The setup can work if the sailor (Redford) is cast as a old-school stubborn bonehead that would do just such a thing. If not I'll try to think he is. I remember a old pilot that wouldn't put a radio in his Piper Cub... said "you find me a radio that'll provide lift and I'll install it". Just sayin' stubborn old sailors (et. al.) are out there.

#26 ·
Perhaps it would be best if we just wait until we actually see the film, no? :)

Plot Summary for
All Is Lost (2013)

Deep into a solo voyage in the Indian Ocean, an unnamed man (Redford) wakes to find his 39-foot yacht taking on water after a collision with a shipping container left floating on the high seas. With his navigation equipment and radio disabled, the man sails unknowingly into the path of a violent storm. Despite his success in patching the breached hull, his mariner's intuition and a strength that belies his age, the man barely survives the tempest. Using only a sextant and nautical maps to chart his progress, he is forced to rely on ocean currents to carry him into a shipping lane in hopes of hailing a passing vessel. But with the sun unrelenting, sharks circling and his meager supplies dwindling, the ever-resourceful sailor soon finds himself staring his mortality in the face.

#34 ·
Aside from the fact they each wound up in liferafts, not much :)

Callahan's boat sank very suddenly after a collision with an unknown object, he barely had time to take to his raft... Redford's loss of his boat seems to be a result of a protracted series of events - a collision with a container after which he effects a repair, an encounter with a serious storm, and an eventual abandonment long afterwards...

Presuming the ocean didn't return to a state of flat calm immediately, that is :)

Not to mention, Steve never would have done anything as stupid as to clip his tether onto an upper lifeline :)

#35 ·
The 'flaws' are all over all of these movies, Dead Calm, Wind, Captain Ron, The Dove, etc. The great thing about Master and Commander, and Bounty, is that no one is around from the turn of the 19th century to tell us how full of crap they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.