Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
Found a boat, but what is the best way to get her home?

Actually I found two boats I would like to get. The issue is how to get them back to Galveston TX. Both are 42', one is in Tampa FL, the other is Panama City FL.

So the obvious answers are ship it, and sail it. What I don't know is if I sailed it what would be the best route and how long would that take? I made a passage from here to St. Pete and it took 7 days, I just don't know what the route would be to get back from there.

Any suggestions?

I figure the best route from Panama City would be the ICW.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Found a boat, but what is the best way to get her home?

Shipping presents enough opportunities for damage. Loading, unloading, both should be attended. Then there's whatever can happen in between if everything hasn't been secured quite right.

Personally I'd try to arrange to keep it in the water for a month or longer, as needed. Take a long weekend or a week, take the boat out for a shakedown cruise after you've bought it, and make up the punch list for what it will need. Get it in shape for the delivery because there's almost always Something beyond what you find on a seatrial.

Then go back, if you can't take the time off all in one lump, and sail it home. Or pay a delivery skipper to bring it home. The cost maybe the same as trucking but you'll also find out if there's anything else that needs work. Or get a chance for a nice trip.
Old 08-25-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

+1 on SAILING it home.

Boats were built to move through water, not over asphalt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 08-25-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Sail it. I vote not hugging the coast. I find Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana wretched places. Can you make a straight shot across the gulf?
Old 08-25-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Sail it. I vote not hugging the coast. I find Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana wretched places. Can you make a straight shot across the gulf?
Why?
Old 08-25-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

We left Galveston last November. It was a great trip on the ICW. So much to see....so much wildlife. I'd be nervous on a Gulf crossing unless I was very confident in the boat. Lots of rigs out there, and plenty of big traffic too.

You will have to go outside from Panama City due to bridges. Day sail to Destin, and another to Pensacola. Then inside if you want to.

Our trip from Kemah to Panama City took 3 weeks, but we stayed in New Orleans for one week. So, basically it will take you two weeks if nothing slows you down.

Ralph
Water view at low tide | sailing away with R & B

Last edited by RTB; 08-25-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Always ship her on her own bottom, if that is a reasonable option. Over road is a real hassle, since everything must come off the deck and then be reinstalled. Just coordinating each end seems like a full time job.

Unless you personally have the time to go shake her down well prior to departure and have good crew to come along, I would suggest paying a delivery skipper to go get her. They will likely motor her most of, if not the entire way.

The idea of burning up one's available time to bring your new boat home is enticing, but can leave less to enjoy her, once she is back. Long deliveries can also be frustrating, as weather and mechanical delays are to be expected. Better that they cost you an extra few shore days for the crew than burn up even more personal time. I've known more than one that have had to abandon their boat in a marina along the route to get back to work and then pay to have the passage completed anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspiker View Post
Actually I found two boats I would like to get. The issue is how to get them back to Galveston TX. Both are 42', one is in Tampa FL, the other is Panama City FL.

So the obvious answers are ship it, and sail it. What I don't know is if I sailed it what would be the best route and how long would that take? I made a passage from here to St. Pete and it took 7 days, I just don't know what the route would be to get back from there.

Any suggestions?

I figure the best route from Panama City would be the ICW.
The construct of your first paragraph gives the impression that you wish to get both yachts ('...how to get them back to...") to Galveston. I assume, however, that you're actually consider one or the other, not both yes?

As for the yacht in Tampa, assuming it's in any reasonable shape, the trip from Tampa to Galveston isn't would not be that demanding, even at this time of year. From the mouth of the northwest Tampa Bay Channel to the mouth of the Galveston Bay Channel is only about 640 nm. With the winds that are prevailing at this time of year, that's a roughly, 4.5 to 5 day trip down the rhumb line. A crew of two, or better three, could do that pretty easily and for far less cost than coasting. The greatest danger to a yacht isn't the sea. It's that hard parts around the edges.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-26-2013

ronspiker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The construct of your first paragraph gives the impression that you wish to get both yachts ('...how to get them back to...") to Galveston. I assume, however, that you're actually consider one or the other, not both yes?

As for the yacht in Tampa, assuming it's in any reasonable shape, the trip from Tampa to Galveston isn't would not be that demanding, even at this time of year. From the mouth of the northwest Tampa Bay Channel to the mouth of the Galveston Bay Channel is only about 640 nm. With the winds that are prevailing at this time of year, that's a roughly, 4.5 to 5 day trip down the rhumb line. A crew of two, or better three, could do that pretty easily and for far less cost than coasting. The greatest danger to a yacht isn't the sea. It's that hard parts around the edges.

FWIW...
Your right I only want one. I prefer the one in Tampa. Your reply is exactly what I was looking for. I made the passage from Galveston to St. Pete 10 years ago, with 3 other people and it was pretty good. I just wasn't sure what the route is back from there. I can get some sailing buddies from here to go so there would be at least 3 of us. Probably would leave mid October if everything can be setup. The initial survey looks good, rigging, sails, motor all in excellent shape, only thing missing I would like would be radar, and an autopilot and of course all the necessary spare parts.
Old 08-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I must be missing something, if suggesting the rhumb line was what you were looking for?

Further, aren't there thousands of oil rigs in the Gulf? The hard part is not only around the edges in that case.

Have a safe passage and congrats on the new boat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.