Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013

ck.mecha is on a distinguished road
Making the step to a keelboat

Alright, im going to try not to make this into a "what boat?" thread why still looking for guidance. Ill find a local boat that speaks to me but I have questions on my search.

I live on a 37,000 acre inland lake and Ive been sailing dinghys for a few years. Im confident in my sailing abilities, but there are things you just dont have to do with a dinghy that you do with a keel. Whats the downlow? What do I need to know that im probably overlooking?

1)All the boats im looking at are in the 18'-22' range with drafts around 3'. Fixed keel. How will I fare in an inland lake? The draft on a laser is 2'7" so it shouldnt be a problem?

2) Trailer launching. Am I going to need a steep ass ramp and a massive truck? Boats Im looking at can be trailer launched and have weights ~1500#

3) I have a dock with about 6' draft below generally. I could never dock my dinghys but how about docking? We get tons of traffic so if i just pull up along the dock with bumpers im sure it would destroy the boat in a matter of months. How about mooring just off the dock?

4) Detunning for singlehanding? Remove jib and reef sail? I want to be able to sail often and all year round so I need to figure out how to stay dry while still keeping a fun boat.

As for what im looking at, I have absolutely no interest in anything with a swing keel or cabin. I live on the lake and I have dinghys so those are pointless. Im looking for something that can get me in trouble with 2 people. Ive found Stars and Tempests cheap localy. Im not stuck on one boat, winter is coming in and Im certain I will find something at a great deal as always when the fair weather sailors call it quits after an underutilized summer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Making the step to a keelboat

I like the Cape Dory Typhoon and my own boat, the Sea Sprite 23. Both are full keeled and designed by the same man, Alberg.

If you have a dock, can you drive in two more pilings to allow 4 way mooring? That would keep your boat off of the dock. They also make "whips" that are spring loaded to keep a boat off of a dock

Pier Tender Boat Mooring System

I tow my SeaSprite with a Land Rover, all told, with trailer, it weighs around 5000 pounds. Launching (which I do not intend to do) can be done with a trailer tongue extension.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I find docking solo much easier than you would think I don't think you should worry about it. You will gain confidence after you get to know your boat and yourself and believe me you won't worry about docking anymore.
Old 08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I like the Cape Dory Typhoon and my own boat, the Sea Sprite 23. ....I tow my SeaSprite with a Land Rover.... it weighs around 5000 pounds. Launching (which I do not intend to do) can be done with a trailer tongue extension.
Both are too big and not sporty enough for me. Just bought a new SUV with a 3500# capacity. The ramp is only 1/4 mile away but Id really like to stay under 2000#.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
If you have a dock, can you drive in two more pilings to allow 4 way mooring? That would keep your boat off of the dock. They also make "whips" that are spring loaded to keep a boat off of a dock
I think I would have to apply to the Corps of Engineers to drive pilings. The lake level fluctuates greatly too, good think I can push and pull the dock out! Whips are a good idea though. I wonder how two mushroom anchors put out parallel to the dock would work. Tie to the anchors and tie to the dock to restrict motion in every direction.
Old 08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I find docking solo much easier than you would think I don't think you should worry about it. You will gain confidence after you get to know your boat and yourself and believe me you won't worry about docking anymore.
Im not so much worried about the actual docking of the boat as I am the damage the powerboats and jet skis will inflict. The rangers never enforce the no wake within 100ft of docks rule.
Old 08-25-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. Lots of great info on a variety of small to large trailerables, 10 to 28 feet. We picked up a Lancer 25 a few years ago. 30 inch draft, about 5000 pounds on the trailer. We tow it just fine with an F150 and launch anyplace we want, even without a tongue extension. Don't worry about moving to a keelboat. You'll do fine. The thing you'll find different is the lack of capsizing. In a month or two, the prices will fall so if you're ready to buy, it's a great time to do it.

Don
Old 08-25-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

A few comments. A mooring would be better than trying to tie it to dock if power boat wake is an issue. Main can be left on the boat if you have a sailcover. Otherwise put the sails in down in the boat after each sail. Launching and hauling is going to be a bit of an issue due to draft, but you'll only have to do it at the beginning and end of the season. You'll probably need a trailer extension bar to get it deep enough to float off and on the trailer without the tow vehicle being underwater.
Old 08-25-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

If I wanted to do mushroom anchors.. I would consider a "pulley" system. Place the anchors deeply where they will not come loose. I would then run a rope from the cleats of your boat, to ring attached to the anchors and then to a float. The float will pull upwards on the rope, and then pull your boat away from the dock

And I never considered that a small "keel boat" would be considered performance. Unless you mean fin keel?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2013

Yes, more specifically im looking at bulb keeled boats. I agree with you, maybe more "athletic" than performance. Like I said, something that can get me and a friend into trouble
Old 08-25-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

The Star sailboat was pretty "athletic" as I remember. There was a fleet of them at the beach near where I grew up. That said, I think the fin keel is fairly deep so - not so easy to trailer.

Everybody has one: