Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
How do you hang your dock lines?

When we went out yesterday, I untied the bow lines and tossed them onto the dock, and my port side stern line was just fine on top of the piling by itself. But on the starboard side, I have both a spring line and the stern line. Apparently my lines have taken on the personalities of my boys and don't like sitting too close to each other for any extended period of time. One of them also likes to cause trouble. In this case, as we backed out of the slip, one of the lines snagged on a bumper that I had out (we were still in the slip after all!) and as we backed out, it pulled the starboard side like a spring line. My dad rushed forward to try to free it, and I bumped us into forward and ran to the port side to keep us from hitting the boat over there. Then I realized that we were still in gear and heading toward the front of the dock, so I had to run back to the cockpit, put us in reverse with a heavy burst of throttle, then back in neutral. My dad managed to free the line in that time and to get both of the lines back atop the piling, and we got away without further incident, but there was a point where my anchor was terrifyingly close to the boat on our starboard.

I think a lot of that could have been avoided if I a) pulled in the bumpers and b) had holders on the pilings to help keep the dock lines organized. a) is easy to do (even I can figure that one out), but I'm wondering what everyone uses to keep their dock lines organized. I know some take the lines with them, but how about the rest of you? Do you just use something like this Dock Line Holder, or is there something else that I should consider? I thought about 2 nails, but with my luck, I'll impail myself on them, so the blunted point of the holder seemed like a good option.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: How do you hang your dock lines?

IMO it's damn hard to control a docking boat with the lines on the dock, whereas if the lines are on the boat, you can handle them around cleats and pilings with no scrambling. So I hang my docklines from the pulpit and stern rail with prussic knots.
steve77 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Jim,

We have six lines attached to the boat, one each on a piling. Before we move forward we remove all lines that are slack and place them on the dock or on the piling with the wooden hook. Usually that's the two spring lines and at least one stern line. The two stern lines get thrown onto the dock. John pulls the boat over to the slack bow line piling, removes the line, puts that on the piling hook. If that one falls over the neighboring boat's bow line it's no big deal as it's a charter and leaves the slip about twice a year. Then he does the same with the remaining bow line and places that line on the piling hook.

Then I move out of the slip. Until this point, 80% of the time our engine is in neutral. No need to joggle it unless it's really windy. Since our marina is kind of tight and we have to go past the fuel dock in a tight space, we leave the fenders on until we get out into the Swan Creek channel then part of the routine is to pull them in and put stuff away.

This is a new marina to you, right? Look around and see what your slip neighbors use. Our marina is good about letting us attach whatever is needed to make things easier.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-26-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Don't know what your set up is. Two stern poles to Cleats on a perpendicular dock bow in..?

Short finger dock?

When I was in the 1st scenario, I ran two long lines (3 strand) from the front dock back to the poles on each side ( port and starboard) fore and aft. Helps keep you from getting too close to neighbors, and you can hang the bow lines over them for easy pick up. For the stern lines, spring line... I just used a big rubber coated hook you can buy at home depot...but your dock line holder serves the same purpose.
Old 08-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm realizing now that I should have explained in more detail. Here's my slip:

We're bow-in, with a finger to starboard that separates us from the boat next to us. On the port side, there are only bumpers separating the boats. It's hard to see in the picture, but there are pilings that, when we're tied in, are just aft of the transom.

When we started to back out, after all the lines were off and "out of the way" (or so I thought), we actually slid the boat back by hand out of the slip. It wasn't until the bow was about 2/3 of the way out of the slip that I started to put the boat in reverse, and it was at that point when the line snagged the fender.

BLJ, I've toyed with your solution. I have read your comments on this topic before, and you make some valid arguments. In the end, though, I like the idea of having my starboard spring line set up and waiting for me as I enter. I've docked here twice now, and each time I've managed to grab the stern line instead of the spring line, but I'm going to add some color to that line (or replace it with a different color line) so I can distinguish it more easily. The theory is that I'll come in slow (I drift in), grab the spring line off the piling and throw it over the mid-ship cleat, then let the momentum snug us to the dock. I attach the starboard stern line while I'm there, then jump off and connect the bow lines, then back aboard for the port-side stern line.

Like I said, that's the theory...so far, I've grabbed the stern line both times and come up WAY too short in the slip. Thankfully, it's easy to fix and much better than if the stern line were too long.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-26-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

I use the hangers you showed in your link. I have learned via experience to bring all fenders/bumpers onboard prior to leaving the dock so they can't snag on anything. Since I use my home dock most of the time, having the lines attached to the pilings makes it super easy to just grab them and cleat them. I have the stern spring pre-adjusted so that I just loop the eye end over the midship cleat.
Old 08-26-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

even when i am at anchor i have my docklines on my lifelines ready to use as tow lines or emergency whatever lines. when i have a slip for stormy season i dont leave dock and return, so i keep them tied to dock from boat. as this is furycame formationville, i am spiderwebbed into a double wide slip nose into approaching storm. i chose my slip because it has 4 pilings.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 08-26-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

I'm in the lines-on-the-boat camp.

When we come into a dock I attach lines to fore and aft cleats and run them both to the gunwale at the centre of the vessel. When we come alongside my wife drives and I jump onto the jetty and control the boat with the help of what's happening at the helm.

We don't moor to a dock anymore but when we did, the boat was always made fast with lines from our deck cleats around the jetty cleats and back to the boat so that we could slip the lines from aboard as we left. They were never left on the dock.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-26-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

We keep the lines on the dock. 2 stern, 2 bow and 2 spring. Also have a couple fenders tied to the finger pier (starboard side when bow in - just like OPs) at key points. Then also have a line tied between the pilings along the port side all the way to the dock.

When leaving, the port stern line and spring line get hung on the line stretched between the pilings, bow lines on the dock, starboard stern line and starboard spring go on the piling at the end of the finger pier on a nylon cleat mounted up high.

When we come back into the slip, the spring lines are the only ones we worry about. As long as both of them get on the midships cleats, we can leave the boat in fwd at idle and we'll center up in the slip and stay just off the dock while we get the rest of the lines.

The guy across from us has an extra line tied in a V that holds his bow centered and just off the dock. He just drives into that V and the line does the rest - it's a pretty nifty set up.

BTW - I have a second set of lines aboard that go with us for use elsewhere, or for rafting up.
Old 08-26-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Me? First in line on a floating dock, just out of the fairway channel.

I leave the fwd boat-to=stern dock springer on the dock; at the ready for hooking to the bow cleat.
All else travels aboard
Stern springer tied alongside to be ready to drop off and cleat, Fwd and stern vreast lines atthe ready with the bow line snugged against the next stanchion and the stern line in a bucket on the aft/stbd seating.

Works for me ....when I can back in! Today;s adventure was using a planned ahead spring line back-in routine I had in reserve IF the winds were not favorable. Din't go al the way with it, as we came to rest quite early against the dock; but *could* have backed it on line to position.

Have a Plan B.....C....D.....