Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013

orionmetz is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard Documentary?

Hey everyone!

So here's the deal, I'm a filmmaker, younger youtube generation (Boo), but I've made traditional features as well. I've been obsessed with the idea of living aboard since I was 19 and in the army and after 6 years of idiocy my brain finally decided to connect those 2 dots...

Why not make a movie about the process?

We could set a timeline and destination, like a year to get to the Bahamas, then film the whole process (boat purchase, moving aboard, learning to sail, explaining to family, working from the boat, and eventual push off), we could do interviews with longer term liveaboards to talk about the lifestyle, the ups and downs...

Best case it could introduce a new generation of people to the water, at the very least it's something to show families to help them grasp WHY someone would chose a life like that.

Still working the specifics together, but what do you guys think? looking for feedback from anyone; please give opinions!
davidpm likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2013

woozee is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard Documentary?

Cheers man! That sounds like a great idea. I've had the thought cross my mind multiple times this year.

Do you have any examples of your work online that I can check out?
Old 08-27-2013

justflie is on a distinguished road

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed following the Shards on their travels. They're a liveaboard couple who turned their life into a TV show. Really great stuff. distantshores.ca. I purchased through Vimeo but they also have DVDs. Their old stuff is all in SD but the last couple of seasons are in HD.

So yes, there is a market for this type of thing. Go for it!
Old 08-27-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Should be better than "Honey Boo Boo."
AncientTech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailnetters are the greatest people in the world!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Island Packet 31
Melbourne, FL
(formerly Rock Hall, MD)
Old 08-27-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Do it, it's a great idea and there are tons of small film festivals where it can be shown
Old 08-27-2013

dave c is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard Documentary?

There would definitely be a market, check out Project Bluesphere.
Old 08-27-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

This comes to mind:
Voyaging Under Sail, Cruising Lealea Home

Honestly I think the hard part comes from making an interesting story that brings it beyond a trip report into something that really connects with the viewer. As an example I've watched a number of the Crusing Lealea videos and enjoy the overall concept, but find myself jumping to ones that I can connect with because they are in my area, had some real trouble that they needed to get out of, or describe details of what they've done equip their boat for offshore sailing.
Old 08-27-2013

NicFloyd is on a distinguished road

Hey Orion, I'm actually thinking about a long trek from Chicago to the Gulf on over to Florida on a 30' sailboat. Pretty much everything you mentioned about learning to sail etc. would apply in this case.

The idea sounds pretty sick, and I'd be up for the idea. I don't know if a boat that size would be what you were thinkin about, and I know that the quarters would be close, but I think it would be pretty interesting. I'd be thinking about doing it in April or May of next year.
Old 08-27-2013

orionmetz is on a distinguished road

I'm actually a chicago native (live in elgin atm), cost wise we're looking at an ericson 29' or the like, but for filming I'd like a gemini 30, cat's have more open space for lighting (but at 4x the cost it's not likely). but we'd probably want to leave as late as possible to maximize learning time (then try to beat the winter down the Ill).

If I was going to do it I'd want it to be more a story between me and my girlfriend as we adjusted than a how to video, showing all the great things we could do paired off with the hardships; really show what it TAKES to live that kind of life.
Old 08-27-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I just don't see how a documentary like this would appeal to a broad enough audience. Sure, people who are into sailing would be interested, but those aren't the ones who A) watch reality TV and B) are the target demographic (males 18-35). If you want to give it that appeal, then you are going to end up with that steaming pile of dog s*%t that is currently on a major cable channel about a mega yacht crew.
I think your idea has merit as a documentary, but don't spend all your money making it. Do the principle photography with a Canon DSLR, plant a bunch of Gopros and learn Final Cut Pro (if you haven't already).

Tags
entertainment , how to , liveaboard , sailing