Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria
The Perils of Rafting On

From time to time folks like rafting on, be that for social reasons or because of crowding in a anchorage. We don't like doing it, not because we are a-social, but we wish to rely on our own "rules" and discipline when anchoring. What follows is in part a cautionary tale and an opportunity to get feedback on what to prepare for when rafting. I refer to rafting that includes staying overnight.

It is an incident at the east anchorage of Beckwith Island, Georgian Bay, just this past weekend. The forecast was SW winds, 15 kts, but with a squall warning in effect that included winds potentially to 40 kts. The anchorage has an excellent sand bottom, with comfortable depths of 10-15 feet to accommodate quite a few boats. It is very easy to anchor safely there.

The incident involves two powerboats, but it may apply to sailboats as well. One vessels was about 42' and high freeboard, the second one 35' with a much lower freeboard - I estimate a 2' difference. They rafted on to each other and both put out anchors (as I learned, the boat that ended up "in trouble", anchored in 15' of water with 50' of chain/rode!!!).

Now the squall arrives, which would eventually register close to 40 kts of wind and.... it arrives NOT from the SW but from East and we are fully exposed to a fetch of at least 10NM. The chop builds up fast and soon we bounce around in 2' waves (but no more). My dinghy actually manages to disconnect itself (my fault for not having raised it into the davits - a break of my rule - but, thankfully, it is recovered on shore the next morning, firmly on the beach).

The larger power boat now is calling in an emergency: due to the difference in height between the two vessels, there is tremendous upward force on the lines at the lower boat and it starts to rip out the cleats... What to do? The skipper of that boat even falls overboard (in the dark) and injures his legs, and there is much commotion but help arrives (very quickly, to my surprise, within 30' of the call for assistance). Eventually, the squall subsides and the wind returns from the SW.

The issues I identify here - and I welcome comments - include:

1.- If you are going to raft, make sure you can accommodate wind shift. This means that you must rely on a single anchor for 2 or more boats and you must have the appropriate tackle to accommodate the extra forces that can be generated.

2.- But, avoid rafting.

3.- Be prepared to disconnect from the anchored boat quickly, because a heavy chop will indeed create damaging forces on both boats, even should they be equal in freeboard. It would be just about impossible to tie two boats together in such a way that they would move as one unit in a severe chop. This means, in fact, that you must have a plan ready to abandon the raft and anchor on your own EXACTLY when conditions will be difficult, dangerous, and (as was the case here) in darkness.

4.- Don't exprect any neighbouring boats to come to your assistance. In this case, I had no dinghy available. I also do not know how to operate a 2-engine motor boat, and all the other boats in the anchorage were sailboats.

Clearly, the skippers of both boats had not anticipated what might befall them (I, too, was surprised with the sudden change in wind direction) and showed no evidence that they had any idea what they might do under the circumstances. Since both boats had anchors out, a departing boat would have had to haul anchor in darkness and in a good chop and the crew (typically, here, the wife/partner) was likely not up to that challenge. That was a suggestion communicated to them by one of the other (sail) boats in the anchorage (leave, and motor around), but not acted on. They might have abandoned their anchor to be retrieved later, for example, given that one boat stayed behind.

In darkness I could not really see what the rescue boat ended up doing (in much moderated conditions) but after 2 hours they left, as did the smaller of the 2 boats.

As we saw the larger boat leave in the morning we noticed what looked like a good-sized, shallow dent in its starboard hull... Perhaps this episode belongs in the "boneheaded move" category - but we can all learn from others' mistakes, can't we?

Over to you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: The Perils of Rafting On

The simplest answer of course is not to raft in unsettled conditions; we raft often but only when conditions are benign. Depending on conditions we may or may not break the raft before darkness, but we only tie up in such a way that we *can* break it in a crisis. Wonder why those 2 boats didn't just cut the lines that tied them togeter?

Agree with only rafting where you can share one anchor.
sawingknots likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-27-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I would be very worried if I was rafted in any kind of turbulent weather - and had another choice. Big heavy objects bouncing around and constantly hitting each other - IMO a recipe for significant damage or worse, even if each boat is properly anchored.
Old 08-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We frequently raft but don't like relying on a single anchor so we mainly raft in a stern tie scenario. That way at least every other boat, if not all, can put an anchor down. You also want to avoid strong winds or currents abeam. We're fortunate to have plenty of sufficiently sheltered possibilities.

Another technique is to raft up with boats alternating bow-to-stern, each boat putting an anchor out so the raft is well secured from two directions. Of course this raft won't swing so care must be taken to keep clear of others swinging free.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-27-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The problem isn't rafting, the problem is not knowing HOW to raft. Big weather comes up, the raft has to come apart. rig the ties so that the boats can be quickly separated.
MedSailor likes this.

Old 08-27-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Wonder why those 2 boats didn't just cut the lines that tied them togeter?
Given that their anchors and lines were fundamentally parallel to one another, they still might/would have bumped one another, potentially with considerable force. However, if one of them then lengthened rode, that issue would go away, but the rode of that boat might well touch or go underneath the other one, potentially fouling or damaging rudder/props... That could be possibly mitigated or avoided by leading the rode (assuming it is not chain, of course...) inside the stern cleat of the boat ahead. That cleat may have considerable sideways stress, but possibly no more than being in dock with a punishing bow wind combined with swell. Still, does sound like a makeshift solution to me, and I suspect some new trouble issues would soon emerge, such as the boat moving too far with that rode starting to clear the aft deck of the lead boat, and so on....

Last edited by Faster; 08-27-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 08-27-2013

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road

Old 08-27-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Rafting up would seem feasible only where there is absolutely no chance of any kind of sea building up. Fenders are probably not going to be much help with boats bouncing around in waves. It's just not an option in open water anywhere and should only be considered in very protected anchorages.
Old 08-27-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i raft with no one. ever. a spozed friend HAD to raft my boat in a do not raft situation, choppy waters with rude powerboat wakes---and broke my teak and i mentioned it he was in denial--not the way to be friends... and i do not ever raft-----if i want to , i will row to your boat to say hay. you may pass by or dink over and say hay and visit also--but i wont raft.
Omatako and smurphny like this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 08-27-2013

three-quartertime is on a distinguished road

We raft up occasionally. But if there is any weather in the forecast, we break-up early. What I don't get are the rafts that wait until the weather hits before breaking up. Often everyone is half looped by then - chaos and panic reign. Not only do they endanger themselves, but everyone else anchored around them. I know we all like to poke fun at powerboaters, but there are some idiot sailboaters out there too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.