SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   gps navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103023-gps-navigation.html)

sawingknots 08-27-2013 09:24 PM

gps navigation

for the last 5 yrs I've been languishing here on the tn.river,no navigation skills required,i have a garmin 76 that I've had for yrs and used a lot[on the coast]but a gps is basically useless on these impoundments,today in anticipation of a winter cruise I started reacquainting my self with using a gps,plotting coordinates etc,by jove I think I have it!about a year ago I bought a garmin 400c for an upgrade and backup and am beginning to master it also.i'm sure I can navigate with it.last year I downloaded a EASY GPS program onto my lap top,i sure could use some tips or instruction on how to use it with the garmin 400c,i'm terrified i'll screw something up especially accidently erasing the preloaded maps on the gps,plz someone help an old fool,thanks

aeventyr60 08-27-2013 09:39 PM

Re: gps navigation

Look buddy, using a gps went out ages ago. Where have you been?

rikhall 08-27-2013 10:23 PM

If you have an iPad or an iPhone (and perhaps others) - there are some wonderful apps that make use of charts and the GPS functions.

Rik

sawingknots 08-27-2013 10:57 PM

thanks for your time but not exactly an answer

aeventyr60 08-28-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 1080507)
thanks for your time but not exactly an answer

Aye, there's the rub matey...no easy simple solutions to YOU using your electronic navigation equipment. Kind of like sailing, time on the water, or time spent looking at that little screen and reading the manual. Yes, you will be making mistakes, that is part of the learning process.

Good luck.

paper charts still work.....

PaulinVictoria 08-28-2013 12:27 AM

The most difficult part is going to be getting your laptop to talk to the Garmin units - do you have a USB or serial cable for either unit?
I'm not familiar with the Easy GPS software, are you wanting to do planning on the laptop and then transfer it to the Garmin?
For something a bit more "marine-y", download a copy of OpenCPN and get the NOAA charts. This has a Garmin mode for sending routes/tracks between the two and I think you'd find it more useful than the easygps which is I think a bit more generic.

sawingknots 08-28-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 1080531)
Aye, there's the rub matey...no easy simple solutions to YOU using your electronic navigation equipment. Kind of like sailing, time on the water, or time spent looking at that little screen and reading the manual. Yes, you will be making mistakes, that is part of the learning process.

Good luck.

I prefer paper charts but sometimes don't have the necessary ones!as for mistakes on my first attempt gps=easy gps I somehow erased the preloaded charts and I didn't even figure out how,thanks

sawingknots 08-28-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria (Post 1080553)
The most difficult part is going to be getting your laptop to talk to the Garmin units - do you have a USB or serial cable for either unit?
I'm not familiar with the Easy GPS software, are you wanting to do planning on the laptop and then transfer it to the Garmin?
For something a bit more "marine-y", download a copy of OpenCPN and get the NOAA charts. This has a Garmin mode for sending routes/tracks between the two and I think you'd find it more useful than the easygps which is I think a bit more generic.

I have a usb cable to connect,my plan was use the little garmin to transfer the info. onto my laptop for easier viewing,thanks i'll check into opencpn

sailorboy15 08-28-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 1080531)

Always have a paper chart backup and then don't worry if something goes wrong with the GPS

sawingknots 08-28-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria (Post 1080553)

the site[opencpn] is a bogus site,advertizements and some sort of charity,i just spent 2 or more hours erasing it from my pc,i'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and hope it was unintentional on your part