Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
gps navigation

for the last 5 yrs I've been languishing here on the tn.river,no navigation skills required,i have a garmin 76 that I've had for yrs and used a lot[on the coast]but a gps is basically useless on these impoundments,today in anticipation of a winter cruise I started reacquainting my self with using a gps,plotting coordinates etc,by jove I think I have it!about a year ago I bought a garmin 400c for an upgrade and backup and am beginning to master it also.i'm sure I can navigate with it.last year I downloaded a EASY GPS program onto my lap top,i sure could use some tips or instruction on how to use it with the garmin 400c,i'm terrified i'll screw something up especially accidently erasing the preloaded maps on the gps,plz someone help an old fool,thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: gps navigation

Look buddy, using a gps went out ages ago. Where have you been?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-27-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

If you have an iPad or an iPhone (and perhaps others) - there are some wonderful apps that make use of charts and the GPS functions.

Rik
Old 08-27-2013

thanks for your time but not exactly an answer
Old 08-28-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
thanks for your time but not exactly an answer
Aye, there's the rub matey...no easy simple solutions to YOU using your electronic navigation equipment. Kind of like sailing, time on the water, or time spent looking at that little screen and reading the manual. Yes, you will be making mistakes, that is part of the learning process.

Good luck.

paper charts still work.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-28-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

The most difficult part is going to be getting your laptop to talk to the Garmin units - do you have a USB or serial cable for either unit?
I'm not familiar with the Easy GPS software, are you wanting to do planning on the laptop and then transfer it to the Garmin?
For something a bit more "marine-y", download a copy of OpenCPN and get the NOAA charts. This has a Garmin mode for sending routes/tracks between the two and I think you'd find it more useful than the easygps which is I think a bit more generic.
sawingknots and aeventyr60 like this.

Old 08-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Aye, there's the rub matey...no easy simple solutions to YOU using your electronic navigation equipment. Kind of like sailing, time on the water, or time spent looking at that little screen and reading the manual. Yes, you will be making mistakes, that is part of the learning process.

Good luck.

I prefer paper charts but sometimes don't have the necessary ones!as for mistakes on my first attempt gps=easy gps I somehow erased the preloaded charts and I didn't even figure out how,thanks
Old 08-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
The most difficult part is going to be getting your laptop to talk to the Garmin units - do you have a USB or serial cable for either unit?
I'm not familiar with the Easy GPS software, are you wanting to do planning on the laptop and then transfer it to the Garmin?
For something a bit more "marine-y", download a copy of OpenCPN and get the NOAA charts. This has a Garmin mode for sending routes/tracks between the two and I think you'd find it more useful than the easygps which is I think a bit more generic.
I have a usb cable to connect,my plan was use the little garmin to transfer the info. onto my laptop for easier viewing,thanks i'll check into opencpn
Old 08-28-2013

sailorboy15 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Always have a paper chart backup and then don't worry if something goes wrong with the GPS
Old 08-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
the site[opencpn] is a bogus site,advertizements and some sort of charity,i just spent 2 or more hours erasing it from my pc,i'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and hope it was unintentional on your part

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.