SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What's the most absurd seller statement you've heard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103070-whats-most-absurd-seller-statement-youve-heard.html)

CatMan22 08-28-2013 06:53 PM

What's the most absurd seller statement you've heard

I'm now in search of a boat having sold mine, to the first person who looked at it. I saw a Grampian 26 listed locally, did some research online and found they have been known to have wet deck issues. I call the guy and go look at the boat and it's not a bad looking boat although his "new paint job" was by him with no prep or masking. I discuss the deck issue and thanks to the type of work I do I pull out my moisture meter and unpack my digital imaging camera and start going over the cabin roof and deck and the meter jumps off the chart, when I show him this his remark is

"You show me a dry sailboat and I'll show you one in a garage"

Needless to say I'm still looking.

So what's the most memorable quote you ever got from a would be seller.

Minnewaska 08-28-2013 07:03 PM

Re: What's the most absurd seller statement you've heard

I have someone else interested, so if you want it, you'll have to make an offer right away.

That boat was available for no less than the following three years. I kept checking.

rikhall 08-28-2013 07:17 PM

All sailboat heads smell like that!

aeventyr60 08-28-2013 07:26 PM

"Turnkey" yeah right....

rbyham 08-28-2013 07:57 PM

Not ridiculous. Rather the opposite. As we shook hands to finalize a deal that took a week to complete on my part the PO teared up, looked up at what was now his former boat, and said, "give me a minute." It was kinda awkward but kinda cool too...

davidpm 08-28-2013 08:59 PM

While I was walking the docks I met a fellow on his boat. He invited me aboard. While showing me around he mentioned that the boat was for sale. We talked a couple minutes about how long he had it and where he got it when he mentioned. "I was very lucky to get this boat the broker said if I didn't by it he would as it was such a good price".
I said: "Oh was the broker Gxxx Cuuxux"?.
He said: "Yes how did you know"

Lucky guess, I know many of the brokers around here.

ahab211 08-28-2013 09:32 PM

I bought a 27 Catalina from a retired principal and someone I!d know. Several years from the marina and gym. He gave me a dog life jacket for one of my dogs prior to the sake. When I asked about the keel bolts he assured me they had been checked as he ran aground the previous year. I bought with trust and got a text shortly after that he couldn't find the registration and I'll be out of the country for over a month and available only by e-mail.oh,oh I'm still switching on the bilge pump biweekly and wondering how to fix it among other disasters since buying it!

kunkwriter 08-28-2013 09:38 PM

Was looking at an older boat a few years ago. Noticed a "bump" at the water line. When I looked closer I saw the boat had the worse case of the pox I'd ever seen. Seller told me "they got a new tool that smooths those bumps out in one pass".

trantor12020 08-29-2013 08:38 AM

Life time warranty till breakdown.

Sal Paradise 08-29-2013 09:11 AM

"I'd knock a hole in it and put it on the bottom before I took that price."

Thats word for word exact quote.

This was the boat I looked at just before my current boat, so you can see I was ready to buy. Opening offer I offered 90% of his price (!) and told him I am serious, have $1000 cash in my pocket as earnest money. His reply above meant to me he was either a jerk or just obviously wasn't ready to deal. I would have probably come up too, as I was hot to trot. As it was, when I heard that I walked away and a month laterfound a far far better deal just down the road.... from a motivated seller who posted a very reasonable low price and I just gave it to him. All of it.