Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Dock vs. mooring

We almost always anchor or use moorings when cruising, but have a slip at our marina. We prefer shore power, so we can keep our fridge stocked and batteries topped. Easy access is very helpful for provisioning and repairs. I've not heard of too many repair technicians willing to dinghy out to your mooring. When needed, they can come aboard at the slip, while I'm away. Marina keeps a key. Also much easier to keep the boat clean, top water off, use shore bathrooms, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road

The bathroom use would be a problem. Anyone use solar power to keep up there batteries? That was my plain anyway. Around my house some of the farmers use solar powered electric fence's that work great. My one fear is the bilge stops working. That's why you wire is a second.
Old 08-31-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've not heard of too many repair technicians willing to dinghy out to your mooring.
Not trying to sell anything I will say that part of my competitive advantage is serving boats on moorings and at anchor. Saving a transient client slip fees helps them a lot.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
The bathroom use would be a problem. Anyone use solar power to keep up there batteries? That was my plain anyway. Around my house some of the farmers use solar powered electric fence's that work great. My one fear is the bilge stops working. That's why you wire is a second.
Solar is the way to go to keep the batteries topped. However, you can't skimp and you'll need a place to install them.

Most marinas are no-discharge these days, so you'll have to pump out your holding tanks, if you use the heads aboard. That's not a real big deal, if you're heading in and out anyway. On that last day, where you're not leaving till the next morning, we avoid the onboard heads. If we used them, the waste would either sit there all week or we would have to go over to be pumped out again. PITA.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-31-2013

With the size of boats I'm looking at the holding tanks are small. So I'm thinking at most every other time to the boat ill be making a trip to get it pumped out. 15 gal sounds like a lot but it adds up fast with 5. Still better then a portipotty.
Old 08-31-2013

Well it looks like ill be getting a mooring. Then keeping the boat at a marina for winter. Total about $1000 a year give or take a few hundred. Now to find a boat. One that the wife likes.
Old 08-31-2013
S/V Antares

rwy36 is on a distinguished road

On the subject of moorings and pump-outs: In the Old Saybrook/Old Lyme, Connecticut area, the pump-out boat will give you an orange flag to attach to your bow rail if you're in need of a pump-out but not going to be aboard (along with a container for a tip). This is ideal for folks on moorings and in slips as not too many marinas really want to deal with the pump-out directly (as there is a large State-run pump-out just north of the railroad bridge).

I agree with the earlier comment that access to water is an important consideration and I think especially so if your doing multiple overnights regularly.

Bill
Old 08-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
With the size of boats I'm looking at the holding tanks are small. So I'm thinking at most every other time to the boat ill be making a trip to get it pumped out. 15 gal sounds like a lot but it adds up fast with 5. Still better then a portipotty.
5 people on 15 gallons of holding is barely a day, in my experience. To keep waste hoses from smelling, you need to flush at least one gallon of clear water, after you empty the bowl of its contents. That will mean a dozen flushes max. Better not drink or eat anything.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 08-31-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The amount that you need to fully pump depends on how long the lines are. On my 28' boat where there is a 3' of 1.5" line between the toilet and holding tank it doesn't take a gallon to flush, the volume of the line is just under a quart. Our 20 gallon tank is good for 6 or 7 days for the two of us.

This thread and the thread on dealing with dock lines has taught me how regionalized boat storage can be. Mooring balls aren't that common for permanent moorage around here (Seattle), I primarily see them in front of waterfront houses for smaller boats. I've never seen a dock without cleats and where you are tying off using pilings either. Obviously both of those things are much more common in other areas. Another big difference is that boats are stored in the water year round here, but are usually hauled out in the winter on the east coast, even in the Chesapeake where it rarely freezes.
Old 08-31-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

There is also more privacy when you are on a mooring. But a slip is more convenient. I would side with a slip, but I would let weather be a major factor in my decision. Anywhere that didn't have perfect weather, I wouldn't even consider a ball. I hate wet dinghy rides, and then you get your boat all dirty. And it's harder to keep clean. Yeah, slip.