Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Dock vs. mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The amount that you need to fully pump depends on how long the lines are. On my 28' boat where there is a 3' of 1.5" line between the toilet and holding tank it doesn't take a gallon to flush, the volume of the line is just under a quart. Our 20 gallon tank is good for 6 or 7 days for the two of us.........
There should be a rise from the back of the head to a vented loop, to prevent back flow. That's what needs to be cleared, then it doesn't matter if the rest of the line is 100 ft long, if gravity does its thing. It's not the volume of the hose, its the amount of chase water necessary until it stops mixing and runs clear.

20 gallon for a week, if not using shore heads, is a seriously long time and far from typical.
Pegu club likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road

Ok lets talk cleaning. That was just brought up. How much time does everyone here spend cleaning there boat? Do you do it every time to go to your boat? Then just for me how new is your boat?

I only ask how new to see if people with older boat spend less time cleaning and more time sailing ;0
Old 08-31-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

I was part of that power boat crowd & although we spent our days fishing, in the evening we'd pound down those tall boys & fish off the docks for stripers.

I personally wouldn't tie up to a dock again. If you're looking for peace & quiet, nothing beats listening the sound of water lapping up against your hull when you're swinging on a mooring. All the hassles associated with a mooring are just part of the entry fee to enjoy that peace.
LakeMi likes this.
Old 08-31-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The main reason I prefer moorings is for storm safety and hull protection. Nothing worse than chronic fender rash or shark bites out of your boat in storms.. I would rather have my boat on our well engineered and designed mooring than on any dock or on the hard in a big storm....

Our boat rode out the storm that did this without so much as a scratch and suffered zero chafe on the mooring pendants. Our mooring was specifically designed to handle severe storms.
I know you have posted your mooring setup before. Do you have a link to it handy?
Old 08-31-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There should be a rise from the back of the head to a vented loop, to prevent back flow. That's what needs to be cleared, then it doesn't matter if the rest of the line is 100 ft long, if gravity does its thing. It's not the volume of the hose, its the amount of chase water necessary until it stops mixing and runs clear.
My holding tank setup doesn't require a vented loop, the bottom of the holding tank is above head level and the fill pipe is at the top of the holding tank. It is still only 3' long. It is just on the other side of a bulkhead from the toilet, so the whole line can be quite short.
Old 08-31-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
Ok lets talk cleaning. That was just brought up. How much time does everyone here spend cleaning there boat? Do you do it every time to go to your boat? Then just for me how new is your boat?
Spot cleaning when I see dirt.

A proper brush and rinse off about every 10 hours of sailing time, less if I'm cruising. It takes about 20 minutes, and doing it regularly seems to take less time than a deep cleaning every 40 or 50 hours of sailing.
Old 08-31-2013

Salt water?
Old 08-31-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Five on a twenty five can be pretty tight. How old are the kids? Have you tried a charter or experienced this yet?
Old 08-31-2013

Me and the wife went out on a charter. Had a lot of fun. We both love the water and so do the kids. We have a 17' openbow that we have a lot of fun with on some inland lakes but its just day trips. We would like to do some over nights and week long vacations. Im thinking the 27 is my best choise. The only thing that would be missed about our speed boat is tubing.
Old 08-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
Boat is 8 years old. I always spray the salt water off when I return to my slip. Otherwise, I have a phased washing approach. Cockpit, decks and topsides all get rotated. If I try to do them all at once, they take about two hours. Otherwise, 30-45 mins per weekend on the rotation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.