SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Dock vs. mooring (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103102-dock-vs-mooring.html)

LakeMi 08-29-2013 07:00 PM

Dock vs. mooring

Never had a bigger boat and still don't. I just trying to get info right now.

So to the question. Pros and cons to getting a slip or moorings? Tell me any hard ships that you may of had. Not having a ton of money to spend. But still want to get out there and have fun befor I'm 50 with money to burn. Lol

DRFerron 08-29-2013 07:12 PM

Re: Dock vs. mooring

A slip is more expensive but more convenient for loading/unloading, getting back to the boat after a few hours at the local pub.

A mooring is less expensive but you'll need a dinghy to get you, guests, provisions, etc. to the boat. PITA when the weather is bad. Also, you'll want to periodically check that what is holding it down on the bottom is secure and maintained. You don't want it failing.

Easier to pick up a mooring line than it is to get a boat into a slip.

When we were in the BVI I found moorings very convenient but we were on vacation. Now, if the marinas in the U.S. had people to come out and collect my garbage and sell me ice...

fred1diver 08-29-2013 08:19 PM

it all depends on what style of boat and cruising you like to do, personally, I don't want to be stuck on the same body of water (trailer sailor) so for me a mooring is more than enough, but if you want more stability (the boat rocks less than at anchor), security and you like the social life, then a slip might be better for you

caberg 08-29-2013 08:38 PM

Thought we HAD to have a slip when we bought the boat last August, but none to be found. Got a mooring and within two weeks put down the deposit for this summer. No way would I want to be crammed onto a dockful of boats like sardines, not to mention the people walking by all the time. The privacy afforded by a mooring is much more than the space between boats.

LakeMi 08-29-2013 08:48 PM

We're do you keep your dingy when not there?

CalebD 08-29-2013 08:50 PM

My $.02.

I have slept on my boat both tied up to a dock and on the mooring.
Hands down sleeping on the boat at the mooring the motion is more comfortable and it is quieter. Floating docks tend to make a fair amount of noise if there are any waves or tides.

A mooring also usually costs 1/3 or less of what a slip at a marina does.

PaulinVictoria 08-29-2013 08:51 PM

If you actually want to go sailing, get a slip. Easier to load, easier to unload, easier to work on, easier to get to, easier to get from, access to water, access to power and usually somewhere to store your dinghy.
More expensive, but of course generally speaking you are less likely to come back to find your boat has untied itself and is now on the beach with a slip.

LakeMi 08-29-2013 08:59 PM

Anyone ever have there boat come undone at a mooring?

I didn't even think of that.

capta 08-29-2013 09:00 PM

The biggest advantage to starting out on a dock with a new boat is the security of being "plugged in" to shore power, until you are absolutely certain the boat will not drain her batteries, leaving you with no bilge pumps.
If you are new to boating a slip gives you a lot of opportunities to learn how to maneuver your boat in varying conditions under power. This is something every boat owner should learn and picking up/ dropping a mooring just won't give you that education. Once you are comfortable handling your boat under power and you feel that she will stay afloat for however long you intend to leave her, no matter how much it rains, then moving out to a mooring is certainly cheaper.
IMO, it is a better place to hang out, but I might be prejudiced; we spend 11 months on our anchor through out the Antilles and one on our mooring in Honeymoon in the VI.

PaulinVictoria 08-29-2013 09:04 PM

Judging by the boats on the shore round here every winter after any significant blow, I'd say yes. Whether they are unloved boats that haven't had their mooring lines checked or not I don't know, but at least in a slip a passer-by (or the marina staff) might notice a line chafed through and throw a temporary one on there for you. I know I have done for fellow dock users in the past. I know that I would sail a lot less if every trip out on the boat was:
Drive to the dinghy
Drag dinghy to the water
Take the dinghy out to the mooring
Try to get out of the dinghy into the boat
Tie the dinghy to the mooring
Go sailing
Untie the dinghy
Get into the dinghy
Go back to shore
Drag the dinghy out
Drive home

Now it consists of:
Drive to the marina
Walk to boat
Go sailing
Walk to car
Drive home.

And that assumes that I do not need to take anything to/from the boat, and I don't want to wash the salt water off after the sail.