Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
R.I.P. Dick Newick

I just read on the Proafile forum.
Proafile Forums | RIP Dick Newick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: R.I.P. Dick Newick

Dick Newick has always sounded like one of those folks who add to the sport of sailing simply by his being. I was a huge fan of his work when I was mucking about with Trimmarans back in the 1970's and early 1980's. His Tremolino design was an inspiration for a small Tri that I designed so it could be constructed in a friend's rental unit living room.

But whether you like Tri's or Proa's or neither, most of Dick Newick's boats were a joy simply to look at. Dick had an eye for creating organic yet purposeful designs. There was a fluidity of line, structurally honest, and a creativity to his work that always caught my imagination and seemed about right.

I don't recall ever speaking with Dick, but people who knew him always described his personality in glowing terms. My sense of the man is clearly second hand and yet I have always had an impression of a man with a sense of humor, and generousity of spirit, who genuinely enjoyed life, being perceived as a rebel and innovator, loved sailing, and designing and building his boats.

In what is at best a very superficial way to size up a person, I have always encapsulated my impression of Dick Newick in a sign which reportedly hung outside his shop which read, "Beware of Proa Constructor".

Fair sailing and a quick and peaceful passage Mr. Newick,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Fair winds mr. newick. Thanks for the designs and the inspirations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2013

kentobin is on a distinguished road

DEAD GUY: Dick Newick | Sailfeed