Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013

npettett is on a distinguished road
My M3-20B is showing 160 degrees at 1400 rpm pushing a CAT30 on a dead calm 85 degree day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: How hot does your diesel run?

Our 1979 Westerbeke 30 (Four-91) runs at 180' at moderate to high cruising speeds. If you push it hard on full throttle for too long it gets just slightly hotter. If you pull it down just slightly below full, it jumps right back to 180.
Old 08-31-2013

tspooner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
178° at the cylinder head is fine. What temp do you get when you point it at the top of the thermostat housing? That is the most accurate reading you will get of the fresh water side. You could be running normally if you have a 180° thermostat installed.
The new thermostat is sitting on my nav table while I try to sort out whether I have a problem or not. Back to the boat yesterday to take some infrared readings and notes so I wasn't relying on a poor memory. The gauge has no increments between 180-240 degrees so it's a guess to what it is actually reading. After 20 minutes of running the engine @ 2000 rpm under load the gauge read approx 185, the infrared reading at the base of the thermostat housing was 175, cylinder head was 175: After 25 minutes gauge was approx 190, thermostat 181, cylinder head 180: After 30 minutes gauge was approx 210, thermostat 187, cylinder head 187. That was enough for me. I idled the motor for 5 more minutes and shut her down. There is steam coming from the exhaust and although I've noticed this in large cruising powerboats before I've never noticed much if any from my boat in the past. I've removed all hoses and ensured they are not blocked. The impeller checked out OK as did the FW cooling pump. The only thing I haven't removed is the cast iron riser where the exhaust gasses and spent salt water combine. I imagine there must be some blockage at that point. I'm convinced from what others have reported for temperatures and my own readings that I definitely have a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
How hot does your diesel run?-capture.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

perkie ran at 180 or just under---even when bashing against current from zihuatenejo to barra de navidad.. my ericson has 2qm20h which runs very cool to downright cold. even under load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2013

saillife is on a distinguished road

Having had other problems with my engine I've been monitoring the engine temp for several months now (fresh water cooled 3GMF). The temp at the top of the thermostat housing using an infrared thermometer runs ~185. Sounds to me like your engine is running fine temp wise.
Old 08-31-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspooner View Post
The new thermostat is sitting on my nav table while I try to sort out whether I have a problem or not. Back to the boat yesterday to take some infrared readings and notes so I wasn't relying on a poor memory. The gauge has no increments between 180-240 degrees so it's a guess to what it is actually reading. After 20 minutes of running the engine @ 2000 rpm under load the gauge read approx 185, the infrared reading at the base of the thermostat housing was 175, cylinder head was 175: After 25 minutes gauge was approx 190, thermostat 181, cylinder head 180: After 30 minutes gauge was approx 210, thermostat 187, cylinder head 187. That was enough for me. I idled the motor for 5 more minutes and shut her down. There is steam coming from the exhaust and although I've noticed this in large cruising powerboats before I've never noticed much if any from my boat in the past. I've removed all hoses and ensured they are not blocked. The impeller checked out OK as did the FW cooling pump. The only thing I haven't removed is the cast iron riser where the exhaust gasses and spent salt water combine. I imagine there must be some blockage at that point. I'm convinced from what others have reported for temperatures and my own readings that I definitely have a problem.
you are getting steam from the sea water at the exhaust elbow this means it is starting to get plugged. the exhaust gas temp is constant, sea water temp is constant so the only way to make steam is to slow down the flow of sea water. if something was plugged on the fresh water side the sea water would be cooler when it reached the exhaust elbow and would not make steam. when ever there is cooling problem check the impellers first and then the exhaust elbow.

Last edited by overbored; 08-31-2013 at 12:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
tspooner (09-02-2013)