Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
What's your cruising speed

Hi Everyone,

All the sailing I did in San Fran Bay with a Catalina 27 or a Capri 22, I never knew how fast we were going (no instruments on those bare Navy rentals). The new (old) Allmand 31 has a mathematical hull speed of 7k. I'm guessing motor sailing to save gas and help unload the motor can average 5-6k. I'm curious what's the norm or average for a 30 - 32' non-razing boat?

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Re: What's your cruising speed

Do you have an iPhone or a GPS or one of those other new fangled inventions - I hear they can tell you the speed.

Rik
Old 08-30-2013

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

Our boat motors at about 2000 rpm in flat seas doing 5.5-6 kts for a 36 footer with 3gm yanmar. I would think a 30 footer would do about 4.5-5 kts in flat seas.

Brad
Lancer 36
Old 08-30-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Do you have an iPhone or a GPS or one of those other new fangled inventions - I hear they can tell you the speed.

Rik
Sorry, didn't mean to imply I don't know how fast I'm moving in the Allmand. It's instrumented.

Further question then... is 5-6k a normal cruising speed for us sailboaters?
Old 08-30-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to imply I don't know how fast I'm moving in the Allmand. It's instrumented.

Further question then... is 5-6k a normal cruising speed for us sailboaters?
I'm mostly using my sails so the real speed depends on the wind (direction and speed).
For planning purposes i tend to use 5 knots as an average - but I also check the weather/wind forecast.
Old 08-30-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

You have what is impolitely called a 4 ktsb.

Plan your cruising passage making on the basis of !00 miles a day.

Be very grateful if you do better.
Old 08-30-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

For example on my Cal 29 which has NEMA 2000 fuel flow connected to the GPS I burn say .8 GPH at 5 something knots

I can go as fast as 6.5 Knots BUT it has to work real hard and doubles the fuel burn

As the motor is happy on its 43 year and I want keep it that way I stick with the 5 knots and I have had to do this as long as 10 hours on the dead sea called Long Island Sound

When sailing it depends I have spent between 10 and 17 hours sailing 70 NM depending on wind and current
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Something like this:

Cruising Speed Demonstration
Old 08-30-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i have found my actual cruising speed downhill is about 3.4 kts. uphill is 1.8 kts.
pacific ocean.
on a chubasco with measured winds of 60kts we pulled 8,4 kts boat speed.
i am lucky to get 100 miles daily on passages.
we see what my boat gains with a different fuel delivery and proper injector function.......and my jib re repaired....and the newer mizzen.....and the....

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Old 08-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

We just finished a 3-day trip on our Allmand 31. This is from my blog:

Looking back over the trip, we did:

Rock Hall to Reedy Island: Approximately 53 nautical miles in 10.5 hours. That gave us an average speed of 5.04 knots. Converting that to statute miles, that’s 61 miles at an average of 5.8 MPH.

Reedy Island to Cape May: Approximately 49 nautical miles in about 9 hours. That gave us an average speed of 5.4 knots. Converting that to statute miles, that’s 56.39 miles at an average of 6.25 MPH

Cape May to Forked River: Approximately 76 nautical miles in about 13.5 hours. That gave us an average speed of 5.63 knots. Converting that to statute miles, that’s 87.45 miles at an average of 6.47 MPH.

What I find especially amazing is that on the last day, we were fighting the outgoing tide for the first two to three hours of our trip from Atlantic City to Forked River. You could easily see the current eddying around the pilings. Yet we still managed to make that our fastest day.

When I was looking into buying this second boat, I was told that Allmands were slow, heavy boats. The general rule of thumb is that for any trip in a sailboat, you should only expect to make 5 knots on average, and I was told that we’d be lucky to make that much. I was also told that the 2-bladed propeller that’s on our boat was highly inefficient, and the 16 HP engine in the boat would have trouble pushing Dragon Wing through the current in many of the inlets. Now, granted, a 3-bladed prop may have made the trip even faster, and a bigger engine might have helped us a bit more at times, but as-is, the boat ran great for the entire trip.

I topped off the fuel tank before we left the first day. When we got to Cape May at the end of the 2nd day, we topped off again. It took approx. 15 gallons to top us off that time. I haven't needed any more fuel since then. We motored Day 1, motored with a little motor-sailing on Day 2, and motor-sailed almost entirely during Day 3. We had the throttle at full for most of the trip after Day 1, and even during Day 1 after about the first half of the day we were at or near full throttle.
Dave_E likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 08-30-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.