SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cat 25 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103127-cat-25-a.html)

LakeMi 08-30-2013 02:52 PM

Cat 25

I think I want a cat 25 or something like that. From my other post I will be leaving it on a mooring for the summer then trailering it at my house in the winter. Any thoughts on the boat or ones like it?

Any suggestions on getting on one and maybe taking a ride on one? I have looked at cartering but they are all new boats and bigger.

MarkCK 08-30-2013 03:00 PM

Re: Cat 25

As a general rule you can never go wrong with a Catalina. They build a nice boat at a good price.

LakeMi 08-30-2013 03:42 PM

That's what I have been reading. I like the 27 but I like not paying for winter storage with a 25 on a trailer.

How hard is it to put up and take down all the rigging?

Rhys05 08-30-2013 03:46 PM

I like my S2 7.9 quite a lot, about the same size (slightly bigger) and faster. Seems like the Capri 25 would also be a nice choice. I also like the looks of the Hunter 25.5. Lots of good choices in that size range!

LakeMi 08-30-2013 04:00 PM

Not to sound dumb. But are they all about the same more or less?

Rhys05 08-30-2013 04:04 PM

I find Sailboatdata.com. Carl's Sailboat Calculator (Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats), and PHRF ratings (http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...+Handicaps.pdf) for boats are a decent way to compare the numbers. Now, that said, the design of some boats may "speak" to you in a way that the numbers don't (for good or for bad). What characteristics of the Cat 25 drew you to that particular boat to begin with? What is your intended use? Lots of extended stays aboard, just day sailing, racing, or a combination?

LakeMi 08-30-2013 04:36 PM

For us it will be driving to the boat Friday after work and staying till Sunday morning every other weekend. Lots of going here and there and just sitting around swimming. Then a week long trip once or twice a year. No racing as it would be an hour and a half drive to the boat and in the work week that won't work.

Nothing made me pick a cat. Just seen a few for sale.
25' Sailboat

JoeLena 08-30-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeMi (Post 1081924)
Then a week long trip once or twice a year. No racing as it would be an hour and a half drive to the boat and in the work week that won't work.

Everybody is different, but that is a long time on a Catalina 25. The killer for me would be no standing headroom. Our 27 is tight enough for my wife and I for a weekend, having to crouch the entire time on a 25 would not be fun.

Just make sure you spend some time in it before buying so you know. All of the boats in that range will be about the same regarding headroom.

LakeMi 08-30-2013 04:54 PM

Can you stand up in a cat 27?

Siamese 08-30-2013 04:55 PM

I've been looking for a Catalina 25, too. I'm downsizing from a 31 footer with inboard diesel. My new house is adjacent to the marina, where I have a slip, and there's a good launch ramp. With a gin pole setup to handle the mast, it would allow me to eliminate all the marina fees from my boating budget, and still have a boat that will daysail well, and allow me to go port to port on Lake Michigan when I want. Not to mention the easy maintenance of a four stroke outboard.

Having the boat stored at my house in the off season, where I can wheel my toolbox right up to it, would be a major bonus for keeping her shipshape.

Alas, I've looked a couple Cats and an O'day and haven't found one in the condition I'd like. Recently looked at a WD Schock Harbor 25 in Ohio...a 2008 that was in TERRIBLE condition...I strongly suspect that it was a hurricane boat.

I wish someone still made a boat like the Catalina 25, NOT the 250, which is a totally different animal.