Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013
big dreams, little boat.

Lateen Luffer is on a distinguished road
dayshapes for towed dinghy?

I am curious if anybody actually uses dayshapes for towing a dinghy a short distance. I will be sailing by a major port and two USCG stations just crawling with Coasties itching to inspect/cite you. My boat is a Catalina 22 and I plan to tow a 12' legally registered (Snark Mayflower) sail dinghy. All this would be done in daylight so I don't imagine I need to worry about lights.
If I am reading it right, Wikipedia doesn't seem to think that I need to fly any dayshapes at all including when I'm at anchor because my boat is less than 7m. Am I under the radar and I can just go for it without any dayshapes? ~LL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: dayshapes for towed dinghy?

The only 2 boats I've ever seen with dayshapes in California were both Canadians heading south, they must be stricter up north. (cones)
While your dinghy is approaching "large" for your towing vessel it is still a dinghy and no one uses towing dayshapes (diamond) for a tender that I'm aware of.
Old 08-31-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Directly from CFR: 122-444-9887 (a) paragraph 4:

"A floating craft of smaller size must be displayed behind the floating craft of a larger size. A line between the two must also be displayed."

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Never seen or heard of the USCG citing recreational boaters for towing any other recreational boat without dayshapes, let alone a dinghy. Have watched for years folks get towed in after running out of gas, and of course many sailboats with dinghies, going right past the USCG station. We're on inland waters so maybe the regs are different, or just not enforced.

That is a big dink for your boat -- more than half your length!
Old 08-31-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateen Luffer View Post
I am curious if anybody actually uses dayshapes for towing a dinghy a short distance. I will be sailing by a major port and two USCG stations just crawling with Coasties itching to inspect/cite you. My boat is a Catalina 22 and I plan to tow a 12' legally registered (Snark Mayflower) sail dinghy. All this would be done in daylight so I don't imagine I need to worry about lights.
If I am reading it right, Wikipedia doesn't seem to think that I need to fly any dayshapes at all including when I'm at anchor because my boat is less than 7m. Am I under the radar and I can just go for it without any dayshapes? ~LL
I wouldn't sweat it, if I were you...

Virtually every large yacht I see leaving Ft Lauderdale for the Bahamas is towing a large center console, or similar... In the case of the 155-footer OHANA, it's a 37' Intrepid... It's impressive, the size of many of these boats being towed across the Stream at high speed... A good friend of mine works for Florida Rigging & Hydraulics, it's amazing how much of their work these days is making up these highly specialized towing bridles for these guys...

I have never noticed any of these boats displaying a special shape... That's not to suggest no one is doing it, but I've simply never noticed one...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-31-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2013
big dreams, little boat.

Lateen Luffer is on a distinguished road

[That is a big dink for your boat -- more than half your length![/QUOTE]
Yeah I'd like to have a slick little Avon or something to tow but I have to 'run what I brung,' as the dirt track racer saying goes. Although it may get interesting when I go to attach my tow line to the Snark. There's no cleats and only a little sheet aluminum eye for a painter. Maybe thread the line through the daggerboard trunk? Oh well, whatever! ~LL