Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Re: another (easy to answer) roller furler question

Good point. I am not racing currently but hope to once I get the boat figured out and a little better equipt, its got a pretty old Main and the 100% are fairly old as well. the po told me they came with the boat which he bought in 2006. Not sure how old though. He did spend like $350 on repairs to the sails before I bought the boat cuz I saw the reciept. The 150%, he bought, its a boston sail which he says he paid 3k for so its only about 5-6 years old. Just not sure it worth racing with an old main. I do have a nice big yellow a-sail with a big moose head on. Probably wait till next year to fly it though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Old 100% and new 150%? The 150% will probably point better. Try both and see, it doesn't cost you anything and it's sort of silly for us to guess when you can easily measure.
Old 08-31-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

150 won't necessarily be better in light winds depending on the weight of the cloth, it might need 8 or 10kts to actually shape it into a sail. As Alex says, try them and see, I always found my 115 way more useful than my 155 in pretty much all conditions, and it was a much more pleasant sail to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

When you remove sail A from the furler your line will be wrapped around the drum; then haul the furling line all the way out, then kneel down by the furling drum and rewind the furling line the opposite direction by hand spinning the drum; then haul up the sail B. Done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailnetters are the greatest people in the world!

Island Packet 31
Melbourne, FL
(formerly Rock Hall, MD)
Old 09-01-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
150 won't necessarily be better in light winds depending on the weight of the cloth, it might need 8 or 10kts to actually shape it into a sail. As Alex says, try them and see, I always found my 115 way more useful than my 155 in pretty much all conditions, and it was a much more pleasant sail to use.
Exactally why I was asking. With my limited sail time and even more limited help I figured I'd get opinions first. I mean either its good for whatever conditions or its not I would think. Probably depends on the boat but we are talking Tartan 30 in this case. Now I have a ditch the 100 ofcourse and go 150, all the way over to the 110 is way more useful in most conditions. Hmmmmmm who do I trust more.