SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   another (easy to answer) roller furler question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103147-another-easy-answer-roller-furler-question.html)

abrahamx 08-31-2013 10:23 AM

another (easy to answer) roller furler question

the PO of the boat I have told me the 150 jib is set up to work the other way with the furler, meaning it will have to roll the other way than the 100% jib that I have on now. One question is why is that? And my other question is how do I go about switching the furler to roll the other way? Its a harken.

Alex W 08-31-2013 11:23 AM

Re: another (easy to answer) roller furler question

It probably has to go the other way because the UV cover was sewn onto the other side of the sail. If you wind it up backwards bare sail cloth will be exposed, and the sail will get UV damaged much more quickly.

To change the furling line direction you need to drop the sail, unroll the furling line the whole way, and wrap it in the other way before installing the other sail.

It's odd that he had two sails made with the UV cover on opposite sides.

abrahamx 08-31-2013 11:50 AM

Any idea on what it would cost to have the sacrificial strip resown on the other side?

mmazour 08-31-2013 12:26 PM

If I am understanding you correctly you have two furling sails, 100% and 150%, one sail will rollup clockwise and the other counter-clockwise.
How often do you intend on switching between the two? If it were me I would not bother doing anything to change the direction of the UV guard on either sail.

When you go to change sails follow these simple steps:
1. Remove your furling line from the drum.
2. Unroll the 100% headsail.
3. Remove the 100% headsail.
4. Install the 150% headsail.
5. Roll up the 150% headsail by hand, in the opposite direction so the UV guard is out.
6. Install the furling line on the drum.

Go sailing, grab the jibsheet rollout the sail and watch the furling line rollup in the necessary direction. Done sailing grab the furling line and watch the sail rollup in the right direction.

abrahamx 08-31-2013 12:31 PM

What sail should I be using as a primary? I sail in Lake St. Clair with an average wind about 5-10 even 15 most days.

mmazour 08-31-2013 12:45 PM

What do you have for a boat? If I had the two to choose from, I don't I only have a 150%, I would go with the 150%. My reasoning is that wind pipes up to 15 you can roll 50% in, but when you have the 100% and the wind is 5-10 you can't get anymore out of it.

Alex W 08-31-2013 12:51 PM

Rolling 50% in doesn't work very well, you get a terrible sail shape compared to a 100% jib.

For learning I'd use the 100%. Once you've gotten comfortable sailing try out the 150%. The 100% will likely allow you to point higher, is a lot easier to tack single handed, but will be slower off the wind or in light winds.

Resewing a UV cover is about $300-$600 depending on the size of the sail, the loft, and the type of UV cover. Have both sails inspected before doing so to make sure it is worth the money.

CalebD 08-31-2013 12:59 PM

You can have another UV cover sewed on to one of your sails so they both wrap up the same way on the furler.
Merely as a guess I'd say it could cost you ~ $300 for this. It could be less than that so I'd ask.
You are going to want to use the 150% on your Tartan 30' in the average winds you described. Set up the furling drum for that sail for the rest of the season and forget about the 100%, for now.
Over the winter you can have a canvas shop sew the UV protective strip on one of the sails so they both roll up the same way.

abrahamx 08-31-2013 01:11 PM

Exactally what I was thinking. Just dawned on me to just change the 100% cuz I'm sure it would be cheaper, if I do at all.

rbrasi 08-31-2013 01:12 PM

This begs a question for me:
If he is participating in Wednesday nigh beer can races, assuming his 150% doesn't reef well and he can't change sails quick enough to be practical, which is more important; sail area or higher point of sail? If he's racing with a 100% jib in 10 kts, does he sacrifice that much in the lesser sail area?