SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

another (easy to answer) roller furler question

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  abrahamx 
#1 ·
the PO of the boat I have told me the 150 jib is set up to work the other way with the furler, meaning it will have to roll the other way than the 100% jib that I have on now. One question is why is that? And my other question is how do I go about switching the furler to roll the other way? Its a harken.

#2 ·
It probably has to go the other way because the UV cover was sewn onto the other side of the sail. If you wind it up backwards bare sail cloth will be exposed, and the sail will get UV damaged much more quickly.

To change the furling line direction you need to drop the sail, unroll the furling line the whole way, and wrap it in the other way before installing the other sail.

It's odd that he had two sails made with the UV cover on opposite sides.

#4 ·
If I am understanding you correctly you have two furling sails, 100% and 150%, one sail will rollup clockwise and the other counter-clockwise.
How often do you intend on switching between the two? If it were me I would not bother doing anything to change the direction of the UV guard on either sail.

When you go to change sails follow these simple steps:
1. Remove your furling line from the drum.
2. Unroll the 100% headsail.
3. Remove the 100% headsail.
4. Install the 150% headsail.
5. Roll up the 150% headsail by hand, in the opposite direction so the UV guard is out.
6. Install the furling line on the drum.

Go sailing, grab the jibsheet rollout the sail and watch the furling line rollup in the necessary direction. Done sailing grab the furling line and watch the sail rollup in the right direction.

#7 ·
Rolling 50% in doesn't work very well, you get a terrible sail shape compared to a 100% jib.

For learning I'd use the 100%. Once you've gotten comfortable sailing try out the 150%. The 100% will likely allow you to point higher, is a lot easier to tack single handed, but will be slower off the wind or in light winds.

Resewing a UV cover is about $300-$600 depending on the size of the sail, the loft, and the type of UV cover. Have both sails inspected before doing so to make sure it is worth the money.

#8 ·
You can have another UV cover sewed on to one of your sails so they both wrap up the same way on the furler.
Merely as a guess I'd say it could cost you ~ $300 for this. It could be less than that so I'd ask.
You are going to want to use the 150% on your Tartan 30' in the average winds you described. Set up the furling drum for that sail for the rest of the season and forget about the 100%, for now.
Over the winter you can have a canvas shop sew the UV protective strip on one of the sails so they both roll up the same way.

#10 ·
This begs a question for me:
If he is participating in Wednesday nigh beer can races, assuming his 150% doesn't reef well and he can't change sails quick enough to be practical, which is more important; sail area or higher point of sail? If he's racing with a 100% jib in 10 kts, does he sacrifice that much in the lesser sail area?

#11 ·
Good point. I am not racing currently but hope to once I get the boat figured out and a little better equipt, its got a pretty old Main and the 100% are fairly old as well. the po told me they came with the boat which he bought in 2006. Not sure how old though. He did spend like $350 on repairs to the sails before I bought the boat cuz I saw the reciept. The 150%, he bought, its a boston sail which he says he paid 3k for so its only about 5-6 years old. Just not sure it worth racing with an old main. I do have a nice big yellow a-sail with a big moose head on. Probably wait till next year to fly it though.

#13 ·
150 won't necessarily be better in light winds depending on the weight of the cloth, it might need 8 or 10kts to actually shape it into a sail. As Alex says, try them and see, I always found my 115 way more useful than my 155 in pretty much all conditions, and it was a much more pleasant sail to use.

#15 ·
Exactally why I was asking. With my limited sail time and even more limited help I figured I'd get opinions first. I mean either its good for whatever conditions or its not I would think. Probably depends on the boat but we are talking Tartan 30 in this case. Now I have a ditch the 100 ofcourse and go 150, all the way over to the 110 is way more useful in most conditions. :confused: Hmmmmmm who do I trust more. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.