SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Pleasure Craft Operator Card (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103149-pleasure-craft-operator-card.html)

Kalina-Lona 08-31-2013 10:47 AM

Pleasure Craft Operator Card

Hello,

As most of you know, in Canada everyone who operates a boat with any motor requires a operators card. Through Transport Canada there is a list of exam centres the Government supports. I just chose yesterday the National Boat Safety School and made my payment thru Visa. This morning I went to log in and a Error came up on the website that forbid me to access. Can someone please try this website and see if they can see it and the content.
boatingsafetycourse .ca thru the National Boat Safety School.

Thanks,

ebs001 08-31-2013 11:06 AM

Re: Pleasure Craft Operator Card

I cannot find this site using the URL This Web site coming soon. I also tried googling the National Boat Safety School and could not get unto their site. It looks like a problem with their server. Try again later.

c_witch 08-31-2013 12:45 PM

Hey,

Just attempted to reach the site. Got the message that it is coming in the future. Looks like maybe you'll have to wait a spell or contact the card company and have the payment recinded and find another online site. Can't remember the one I used but they were quite good and sent out 10.00 off coupons with my permenant card.

c_witch

rbrasi 08-31-2013 01:19 PM

Wait- are you saying that, in Canada, all operators of boats with engines have to take a safety course?
I'll take "Things that would never happen in the US, but should" for $600, Alex!

PaulinVictoria 08-31-2013 02:47 PM

Yes, you need to have proof of competency onboard. That can take the form of a PCOC card, or an equivalent.

rikhall 08-31-2013 05:31 PM

Probably the biggest provider of the PCOC in Canada is Canada's "safe boating" group - the CPS-ECP (Canadian Power and Sail Squadron) For those south of the 49th - you have an equivalent group called the USPS.

There are local "squadrons" from coast to coast in Canada and they give pretty good service. That is who I would use (CPS-ECP also facilitates the PCOC on-line.)

Rik

rikhall 08-31-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrasi (Post 1082241)
Wait- are you saying that, in Canada, all operators of boats with engines have to take a safety course?
I'll take "Things that would never happen in the US, but should" for $600, Alex!

rbrasi - can you see this going over very well in a State who's motto is "Live Free or Die"?
Restrictions designed to protect the safety of children, prohibit operators under the age of 16 from operating pleasure craft above specified horsepower (hp) limits:
  • Children under the age of 12 may not operate a pleasure craft with more than 7.5 kW (10 hp) without adult supervision.
  • Children between 12 years and 16 years of age may not operate a pleasure craft with more than 30 kW (40 hp) without adult supervision.
  • Only persons 16 years of age or older can operate a personal watercraft, regardless of supervision.

I know I am just a safety conscious old guy - but I love it!

Rik

SloopJonB 08-31-2013 06:15 PM

It happened here basically due to the morons who let 10 year olds run 100 HP jet skis. Everyone got tarred with the same brush.

One thing that is really stupid about the exam for the PCOC is that they won't tell you what you got wrong on it. I got 90% when I took mine but it would be nice to know what I missed. I could see not telling you if you flunked, but after the card is issued? :rolleyes:

Brent Swain 08-31-2013 06:22 PM

You can find out how well you would do on the test at freecourse.ca ,and take the online test there as often as you please. To do the official test ,any St Johns ambulance will test you for $25
Don't pay the scammers.

Kalina-Lona 09-01-2013 05:33 AM

Thanks for the help and comments, it seems the site is back up and running. I was about to call Visa and have them stop the transaction and decided to try the site once again. I guess it could have been down for maintenance?

My personal view on a pleasure craft license is... it's a great idea and think it should be mandatory in all waters we need to travel. We have drivers licenses, gun licenses etc., why not pleasure craft as well. I know people still can behave dangerously even with a license, but it's a start!

Cheers,