Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road
Pleasure Craft Operator Card

Hello,

As most of you know, in Canada everyone who operates a boat with any motor requires a operators card. Through Transport Canada there is a list of exam centres the Government supports. I just chose yesterday the National Boat Safety School and made my payment thru Visa. This morning I went to log in and a Error came up on the website that forbid me to access. Can someone please try this website and see if they can see it and the content.
boatingsafetycourse .ca thru the National Boat Safety School.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pleasure Craft Operator Card

I cannot find this site using the URL This Web site coming soon. I also tried googling the National Boat Safety School and could not get unto their site. It looks like a problem with their server. Try again later.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebs001 For This Useful Post:
Kalina-Lona (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch

Hey,

Just attempted to reach the site. Got the message that it is coming in the future. Looks like maybe you'll have to wait a spell or contact the card company and have the payment recinded and find another online site. Can't remember the one I used but they were quite good and sent out 10.00 off coupons with my permenant card.

c_witch
Old 08-31-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

Wait- are you saying that, in Canada, all operators of boats with engines have to take a safety course?
I'll take "Things that would never happen in the US, but should" for $600, Alex!
Old 08-31-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Yes, you need to have proof of competency onboard. That can take the form of a PCOC card, or an equivalent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Probably the biggest provider of the PCOC in Canada is Canada's "safe boating" group - the CPS-ECP (Canadian Power and Sail Squadron) For those south of the 49th - you have an equivalent group called the USPS.

There are local "squadrons" from coast to coast in Canada and they give pretty good service. That is who I would use (CPS-ECP also facilitates the PCOC on-line.)

Rik
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 08-31-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
Wait- are you saying that, in Canada, all operators of boats with engines have to take a safety course?
I'll take "Things that would never happen in the US, but should" for $600, Alex!
rbrasi - can you see this going over very well in a State who's motto is "Live Free or Die"?
Restrictions designed to protect the safety of children, prohibit operators under the age of 16 from operating pleasure craft above specified horsepower (hp) limits:
  • Children under the age of 12 may not operate a pleasure craft with more than 7.5 kW (10 hp) without adult supervision.
  • Children between 12 years and 16 years of age may not operate a pleasure craft with more than 30 kW (40 hp) without adult supervision.
  • Only persons 16 years of age or older can operate a personal watercraft, regardless of supervision.

I know I am just a safety conscious old guy - but I love it!

Rik
Old 08-31-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

It happened here basically due to the morons who let 10 year olds run 100 HP jet skis. Everyone got tarred with the same brush.

One thing that is really stupid about the exam for the PCOC is that they won't tell you what you got wrong on it. I got 90% when I took mine but it would be nice to know what I missed. I could see not telling you if you flunked, but after the card is issued?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-31-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

You can find out how well you would do on the test at freecourse.ca ,and take the online test there as often as you please. To do the official test ,any St Johns ambulance will test you for $25
Don't pay the scammers.
Old 09-01-2013

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help and comments, it seems the site is back up and running. I was about to call Visa and have them stop the transaction and decided to try the site once again. I guess it could have been down for maintenance?

My personal view on a pleasure craft license is... it's a great idea and think it should be mandatory in all waters we need to travel. We have drivers licenses, gun licenses etc., why not pleasure craft as well. I know people still can behave dangerously even with a license, but it's a start!

Cheers,
rikhall likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.