Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Weather Helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
I was sailing near where you were yesterday (Gardiners Bay) and when close hauled the apparent wind was as high as 24 knots. Not surprising you needed to reef.
I never saw that. We left about 1 PM Fri and went through plum gut with an opposing current. I motor sailed as I was single handing with no auto pilot and their was a lot of traffic and I just wanted to be on the other side. But even with the wind with us and the current against us the waves were only about 1 foot.

We never saw more than maybe 12 knots apparent the whole trip back. We had only a hint of white caps. The boat doesn't have instruments but I carry a hand held wind meter.

I'm always amazed at how people in the same general vicinity can experience significantly different weather. I guess that is how races are won and lost.

And the reason we left on Fri rather than sat or sun was a combination of. There was not a lot to do in Orient Point. The biggest thing was my wife lost her phone and was so out of sorts I figured the sooner I got her back home so she could deal with it the better. That combined with the threat of the wind you saw that originally was from the south which would have been perfect but then switched to south west and me with no centerboard I didn't even know if I could get home at all.
As it worked out we made record time and had a great sail except for the heavy helm which I solved just by locking it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

David, I was looking at your other post and thought that was an Old Bristol. My old Bristol 29 took a reef early working to windward, certainly by 15 knots. I had a 150 genoa on an early (old) roller reefing system that I took off and had hanks put on. Most of the time however, I found that a hanked on 110 served me quite well in all but the lightest winds.

IMHO a 150 on a roller reef is much too much sail for that boat and will never give you good shape when reefed down.

My current Sabre has similar characteristics and when I replaced the 150 I went to a 135 and couldn't be happier.

As Jeff mentioned, it was initially tender, but once it layed over a bit it was very stable, and tracked quite well. ( with the board down) If you had white caps, it sounds like you probably needed a reef in the main and a working jib. The board " stuck up" was clearly a problem.

BTW, in reference to your other post, I used to have to climb off my bow to a fixed dock
( with a 4-5' tidal range) Occasionaly, I would back in if I had passengers that weren't agile enough to climb aboard. I would also just pick them up or drop them off at the gas dock sometimes.
Old 09-02-2013

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road

I had a 30', fixed keel sloop with a long boom. weather helm was ugly.
raked the mast as far forward as my back stay would allow, added some weight in the bilge forward of the mast. Helped a bunch. Eazing the main also helped.
I sailed her from Walton Creek to Ocean City NJ and lashing the tiller made my solo sail tolerable. Felt like popeye with my oversized forearms
davidpm likes this.
Old 09-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I would make a bet that your main is old too. You can't do anything about helm when your main looks like a catcher's mitt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I would make a bet that your main is old too. You can't do anything about helm when your main looks like a catcher's mitt.
How much.

The mast and main etc is all recent. He lost his mast about 3 days after buying the boat.

The main is very good actually.

But yes most of the boats I sail have a blown out main. I didn't know you knew me that well.
Old 09-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Usually when I talk to someone about weather vhelm I first ask, "What shape is your main in?" They say, "Oh,,,it's the original main. It's 20 years old."

There are so many issues with this boat that I wouldn't even addres the helm until the rest of the stuff was fixed. At least get the CB and trav to work.

Bob's Blog ....

The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
davidpm (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I was quite variable in that area over the weekend. We stayed in Lake Montauk and saw some 20+ and some light air off and on the whole time.
Then Monday coming out...WHACK!

Now I need a new wind instrument
davidpm likes this.