SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Twenty miles from Connecticut to Guatamala (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/103171-twenty-miles-connecticut-guatamala.html)

davidpm 08-31-2013 10:45 PM

Twenty miles from Connecticut to Guatamala

3 Attachment(s)
So everyone says don't go to Orient Point, Greenport is much nicer.

But I've been to Greenport and have never been to Orient Point.
No one I knew had been to Orient Point. The book say OP is small, quaint and has a great restaurant and there are cabs to town center. But no one goes there, why?

So I call and they have a slip. I specify I have a sail boat. No problem they say. Labor day weekend, no problem all they want is my boat name no credit card.

So capt.Arron is this what some of the marina's look like in your neck of the woods.

As I'm tooling along the breakwall my wife cries out. "Turn around there's rocks ahead". I tell her the guy said to just follow the pylons to the wall and hang a left and look for a narrow cut.
He was not kidding it is a narrow hidden cut.
Apparently the docks are all back in docks where you step off your transom.
He was very nice and took one look at the Bristol 32 and gave us the only floating dock. I have no idea how I would have gotten my wife and dog off the boat if he made me take one of his normal slips. We were the only sailboat the whole time we were their.

The restaurant was very good. I'm pretty sure we had the one person shower all to ourselves.
The place is a serious sport fishing center
Orient Star II - Charter fishing boat at Orient Point, NY
Their must have been 15 big boats like the Orientstar taking from 6 to 30 or more people plus dozens of smaller boats. Those guys could maneuver those big boats with inches to spare in all directions.

Capt.aaron 09-01-2013 07:51 AM

Re: Twenty miles from Connecticut to Guatamala

3 Attachment(s)
In Guanaja we have docks here and there, no "Marinas" But on the Rio Dulce you will find marinas like that. Pilings, lots of slips etc. This where my boat is right nowAttachment 15482
There are places I sail to.[ATTACH]Attachment 15484[/ATTACH]

davidpm 09-01-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.aaron (Post 1082519)
In Guanaja we have docks here and there, no "Marinas" But on the Rio Dulce you will find marinas like that.

Thanks for the pictures. I had the Rio Dulce in mind yesterday when I was in NY as we are planning on visiting in December.

BarryL 09-02-2013 12:54 AM

Hey,

I see you found Orient By The Sea marina. I stayed there for one night on my way to Block Island. That will be the only time I stay at Orient By The Sea Marina.

The people were pleasant enough, but getting and out is a bear. First you need to identify the entrance, then you need to get in, and THEN you need to find the slip. None of that is easy.

My visit was even more interesting because we came in and were told to tie up at the large dock in front. I did that, then about 15 minutes later the owner comes by and tells me I need to move. I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't. So I needed to move my 35' boat with a 12' beam around the back where there is about 15' width, then turn around and be able to get out the next morning.

Barry

davidpm 09-02-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL (Post 1082852)
So I needed to move my 35' boat with a 12' beam around the back where there is about 15' width, then turn around and be able to get out the next morning.

Barry

It is very tight that is for sure.

xort 09-02-2013 07:32 PM

Solution...anchor out!!

JonEisberg 09-02-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xort (Post 1083194)
Solution...anchor out!!

I thought the solution was the latest Active Captain App, to erase any doubts to begin with :-)

aeventyr60 09-02-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1083226)
I thought the solution was the latest Active Captain App, to erase any doubts to begin with :-)

Would it allow you to get back on the boat, if you could actually find it?

jimrafford 09-03-2013 07:27 AM

Sorry
I don't do docks or restaurants. Nor would I want to be next to a very busy ferry dock.
Go a few miles farther around the point on the way to Greenport. Hang a right up along the beach and drop the hook north of the fish traps. Fire up the grill and have a quiet evening.
Jim

Capt.aaron 09-03-2013 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimrafford (Post 1083367)
Sorry
I don't do docks or restaurants. Nor would I want to be next to a very busy ferry dock.
Go a few miles farther around the point on the way to Greenport. Hang a right up along the beach and drop the hook north of the fish traps. Fire up the grill and have a quiet evening.
Jim

My favorite thing to do, is sail up to a dock with a bar/ rest. and sit there sipping a beer, look at my boat and say to my self " I sailed all the way here" It never ceases to amaze me.
Attachment 15509