Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road
Re: Here's sone pretty girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I didn't know you could tack a square rigger - I thought you had to "wear ship" - gybe all the way around.
I worked mostly on brigantines which have only foremast squares and a large main to drive to windward. On two or three masted brigs (mostly squares) in large seas it is common to gybe around. I don't think I've ever had to do that.

In terms of sailing close hauled, we could usually only sail about 60 degrees off the wind. With a heck of a lot of leeway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

I would love to sail on an old tall ship.. I follow the Bark Europa on FB, beautiful ship! They have cruises you can pay to be on. It goes all the way down to Antartica as well.
DJR351 likes this.
Old 09-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Sail on a square rigger to Antarctica

I don't think so.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-08-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
I would love to sail on an old tall ship.. I follow the Bark Europa on FB, beautiful ship! They have cruises you can pay to be on. It goes all the way down to Antartica as well.
I just returned from a week in the Southern Ocean sailing on Europa.

Lovely ship, great crew, great food (the cook has been preparing food on tall ships for over 30 years!), very highly-skilled and capable captain(s)..

This ship is pretty-much capable of going anywhere on the globe and I would have no hesitation taking an Antarctic voyage on her if I had the time and wherewithal. She's fully heated down below, has a seriously thick riveted iron hull, can carry enough spares and provisions to be away from land for up to a year and the view from the fore-royal yard is amazing.

If you get a chance to sail on her (or the Oosterschelde if you prefer trading schooners) go do it - you will not regret it!

Here's sone pretty girls-imag0488.jpg
DJR351 likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 09-08-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Here's some pretty girls

Classic, that is really something great! Thanks for sharing. Yea I hope to take a cruise on it one day. And Antarctica is a dream of mine, whether my boat or someone else's!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
DJR351 likes this.
Old 09-09-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
I just returned from a week in the Southern Ocean sailing on Europa.

Lovely ship, great crew, great food (the cook has been preparing food on tall ships for over 30 years!), very highly-skilled and capable captain(s)..

This ship is pretty-much capable of going anywhere on the globe and I would have no hesitation taking an Antarctic voyage on her if I had the time and wherewithal. She's fully heated down below, has a seriously thick riveted iron hull, can carry enough spares and provisions to be away from land for up to a year and the view from the fore-royal yard is amazing.

If you get a chance to sail on her (or the Oosterschelde if you prefer trading schooners) go do it - you will not regret it!

Attachment 15584
You are aware that 100 years ago they had to Shanghai people to get them to sail on square riggers down there?

Now they pay for the privilege.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-09-2013
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are aware that 100 years ago they had to Shanghai people to get them to sail on square riggers down there?

I suppose you would class this as suicidal as well.....

Do you have shares in cotton wool.....
Old 09-09-2013
Senior Moment Member

Not suicidal, just cold & wet & generally unpleasant to the extreme. If I want to be cold & wet when I go sailing I just go out here in the dead of winter.
Old 09-09-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Yes.. well, I won't excuse the fact that all 48 of us (a full ship!) were classed as "voyage crew" and divided into 3 watches of 4-on, 8-off to get the job done. We didn't mind too much when told the paying crew were in two watches ("port" and "starboard") doing 6-on, 6-off, because at least we got some sleep!!

I guess I was lucky: It was a short trip, so I never had to stand a dog-watch (others did instead!) and at least on the morning watch (0400-0800) you got to see the sunrise. ..and somehow we managed to avoid all the usual stormy stuff the Southern Ocean dishes out so we never experienced the "joy" of having to furl sails in a full gale.

What I will say is that the skysail yard is a bloody long way up (and the mast is kinda thin and flexy up there too, 100 feet above the deck!). After that experience I'll never complain about climbing my tiny stick ever again.

Some say tall ships are "romantic".. but they've obviously never sailed on one.
SloopJonB likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 09-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post

Some say tall ships are "romantic".. but they've obviously never sailed on one.
But what about canoodling on the forepeak?

To some extent I agree and to some extent I don't. It's the same as sailing anywhere else but with a lot more people along for the ride and many more night watches. I loved graveyard so badly and cannot wait to get my own boat to go out for a night (but I'll be giving myself at least 3 days to recover now).

All that being said, I was onboard boats loaded with teens and the hormones... apparently some of them found it very romantic.