Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Here's sone pretty girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsails View Post
But what about canoodling on the forepeak?
Well.. there certainly ain't anywhere to "canoodle" on the forepeak of Europa.

Quote:
To some extent I agree and to some extent I don't. It's the same as sailing anywhere else but with a lot more people along for the ride and many more night watches. I loved graveyard so badly and cannot wait to get my own boat to go out for a night (but I'll be giving myself at least 3 days to recover now).
... and hundreds of unmarked identical-looking ropes everyone is expected (and actually does need) to know so that when something has to be cast off in a hurry, in the dark of night, you don't break something, injure someone or stand around looking stupid.

Here's a link to Europa's pin rail diagram to give you some idea wot I'm talking about. After a week on board, I reckon I could accurately lay my hands on about 12.. but the rest? No chance.

Last edited by Classic30; 09-10-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
But what about canoodling on the forepeak?
OOoo, what's the punishment for getting caught on a tall ship, I got 6 swats and 3 day suspension in high school GF didn't get squat

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 09-10-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
OOoo, what's the punishment for getting caught on a tall ship, I got 6 swats and 3 day suspension in high school GF didn't get squat
They seldom do - it's assumed to be the guys fault.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-10-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
If they were caught doing anything serious, the general policy was to change the watches in order that they would barely see each other ever. If they were just caught making out, we teased the **** out of them.

With respect to the belaying pin diagrams, I could always memorize the pin rails since the had some semblance of order, but never the fife rails. Damn halyards.
Old 09-10-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
With respect to the belaying pin diagrams, I could always memorize the pin rails since the had some semblance of order, but never the fife rails. Damn halyards.
I'd agree with that.

.. and given that the bunt-lines and clew-lines were usually completely cast off their respective pins when setting sail, it wasn't all that uncommon to find some bunny had belayed them back down again on the wrong pin.

Now I'm sure I'm always remember the words "spaghetti run" - and not with fondness.

Last edited by Classic30; 09-10-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2013
Once known as Hartley18

FWIW, here are a few pics of Bark "Europa" under full sail in the Southern Ocean:

Dolphins on the starboard bow:

"Oosterschelde" on the horizon:

poopdeckpappy and tspooner like this.

Last edited by Classic30; 09-10-2013 at 10:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic30 For This Useful Post:
poopdeckpappy (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 09-10-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Having built and sailed my own little tall ship (40 ft modified Spray) for the past 40 years, I know the wheels kick and and the winds song. Beautiful adventure!! Closest many come to it is reading (The Last Grain Race ,and Falmouth for Orders come to mind.Good to know some still make their dream real.
Old 09-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Having built and sailed my own little tall ship (40 ft modified Spray) for the past 40 years, I know the wheels kick and and the winds song. Beautiful adventure!! Closest many come to it is reading (The Last Grain Race ,and Falmouth for Orders come to mind.Good to know some still make their dream real.
Funny you should say that.. You'll get no wheel kick from the helm of Europa - on account of the need for an autopilot, the steering's hydraulic.

Like the ruddy-great bow-thruster it's the way of the modern world (and survey regulations), I'm afraid.
Old 09-11-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

A couple more babes that I saw during my Penobscot Bay, Maine trip
Attached Thumbnails
Here's sone pretty girls-dscn1118.jpg   Here's sone pretty girls-dscn1198.jpg