SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Here's sone pretty girls

7K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  Classic30 
#1 ·
Here's some pretty girls

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#12 ·
A Bosun's "starter" helps speed things up. :D

#9 ·
Tending the head sails looks to me to the most tangle likely problem on cutter rigs. Topsails? I've no idea how to tend those! But I'm sure it's not complicated, crew that knows what they are doing.

#17 ·
Not really - they'd make fabulous granddaughters. ;)

#19 ·
Very nice ships! I was in Penetanguishene and Midland last weekend and got to see the Niagara and the Pride of Baltimore which are a pair of jauntily raked topsail schooners.

To tack a tall ship with squares you actually head up into the wind and allow the backing of the squares to drive the nose around, only tacking them after the fore and aft sails tack across. They are quite maneuverable even at very slow speeds. Big circles though because of the long keels.

#20 ·
I didn't know you could tack a square rigger - I thought you had to "wear ship" - gybe all the way around.

#21 ·
I worked mostly on brigantines which have only foremast squares and a large main to drive to windward. On two or three masted brigs (mostly squares) in large seas it is common to gybe around. I don't think I've ever had to do that.

In terms of sailing close hauled, we could usually only sail about 60 degrees off the wind. With a heck of a lot of leeway.:rolleyes:

#24 · (Edited)
I just returned from a week in the Southern Ocean sailing on Europa.

Lovely ship, great crew, great food (the cook has been preparing food on tall ships for over 30 years!), very highly-skilled and capable captain(s)..

This ship is pretty-much capable of going anywhere on the globe and I would have no hesitation taking an Antarctic voyage on her if I had the time and wherewithal. She's fully heated down below, has a seriously thick riveted iron hull, can carry enough spares and provisions to be away from land for up to a year and the view from the fore-royal yard is amazing. :eek:

If you get a chance to sail on her (or the Oosterschelde if you prefer trading schooners) go do it - you will not regret it! :)

Sky Sunset Sunrise Horizon Sea

#23 ·
Sail on a square rigger to Antarctica :eek:

I don't think so.

#28 ·
Not suicidal, just cold & wet & generally unpleasant to the extreme. If I want to be cold & wet when I go sailing I just go out here in the dead of winter. :D

#38 ·
Having built and sailed my own little tall ship (40 ft modified Spray) for the past 40 years, I know the wheels kick and and the winds song. Beautiful adventure!! Closest many come to it is reading (The Last Grain Race ,and Falmouth for Orders come to mind.Good to know some still make their dream real.

#39 ·
Funny you should say that.. You'll get no wheel kick from the helm of Europa - on account of the need for an autopilot, the steering's hydraulic.

Like the ruddy-great bow-thruster it's the way of the modern world (and survey regulations), I'm afraid. ;) :D

#42 · (Edited)
Admiral Sailing Day

Here's a few pics from the Fleet Sailing Day yesterday on Port Phillip, Melbourne, Australia - after the liquid-ice rain cleared away.

These two you know already:

From left to right: "Oosterschelde", Couta boat "Loama", topsail schooner "Enterprize" and Cruising Eight "Marie Louise III".

Gives one a pretty good idea of scale. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.