Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Where is my next sailing destination?

Hi, I just finished a fun and successful 5 month trip aboard a 23 foot sailboat I bought and sailed in Washington and British Columbia. I started out a beginner and now am...less beginner.

I can anchor solo pretty well, can navigate pretty well, sail in light to moderate wind, and read currents.

I am going to do another trip next year and I need to start dreaming and planning.

My basic idea this time, based on what I liked and wished were a little better is this:

At least 5 months, probably longer
-I put alot of work into this trip and boat and 5 months is awesome, but I really didn't want to be done, in most ways.

Bigger boat, bigger budget.
-Something 27-32 feet. I didn't really know better, not having ever spent a night away from dock before, and living and cooking on such a small boat was a little hard at times. I'm not complaining, but next time I want standing headroom, a real kitchen, more power, A/C if I go to a hot place, heat if it's cold, more room to bring more stuff.

My friend I met in Friday Harbor had a Hunter 31. I don't know that a Hunter 31 is the right boat for me since I seem to have the idea stuck in my head that I need to be prepared to weather any storm at any time, even if the wind is calm every day, but the size of the boat interior was perfect, if anything a little on the big side, I could do smaller, but we can start with that as a rough estimate. It has a good vberth, nice kitchen, was well powered with a single large solar panel, and heat and cooking was well supplied for the month with a 5 gallon propane tank.

Consistent warm, sunny air and water
-I realize how the weather is one of the major factors for me. Ideally I like 70-100 degrees with less than 50% humidity. Hot and dry, but cool enough that at night I can sleep. Unless I have A/C, but I don't know how much power a small vberth A/C would take. The main thing is humidity. I didn't know the Pacific Northwest was so humid. It was often cloudy, yes, but very humid. I feel much better when it is dry, and I can handle high daytime temperatures as long as it's cool enough at night.

Lots of free anchorages
-I suppose the nature of an anchorage is it's free, but I think that not all places have so many, so close together. The best thing about where I went was just endless anchorages in super beautiful places. I also experienced an almost perfect mix of choices of everything from absolute wilderness to huge cities(Seattle and Vancouver) to every small to mid sized town in between. I would like that again, but I wouldn't want to have limited anchorages, and only in less than ideal places, and have to pay to stay at a marina the rest of the time.

More room to roam
-I would be limited in the PNW by the gnarly Pacific ocean, which blows crazy wind, and has rough seas, most all year, and has worse weather. I didn't find that a problem this time, since I had a large area to explore, but now that I am better, I can go farther, faster, and I would run out of room. I would like to go somewhere that I at least COULD keep going and going and going.

That's all for now really. I learned how to budget a trip pretty well, and with free anchorages and an ability to cook, the cost of the country is not really an issue. My first idea is the Bahamas. It seems like a nice next step. Also being that I am in USA it may be easier to buy a boat in Florida, but maybe you can buy boats in Mexico, or Europe as a non citizen, I really don't know yet, that's why I'm starting planning now.

The Mediterranean and Morocco sound good too, but logistically harder and more expensive to get there and get a boat.

I am open to ideas, and about what boats I should start looking at. I suppose the boat should be listed for no more than $15k, I'm sure I can get what I want for that, there are just so many, how do I pick which one I like best? I had initially thought that I wanted a full keeled ocean crossing tank, but I don't think I'm there yet. I think a fin keel, medium duty, medium weight boat would be better since I am not crossing yet, and alot of those boats can be made to cross oceans, but have better manoeuverability in the tight spots I will go.

Thanks for the advice, I love the planning part so much, that it is going to help me get through this winter, because I have a goal I am shooting for. I may buy the boat even sooner, if I do decide to buy one in the states, say next spring, so I can start getting it ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where is my next sailing destination?

Sea of Cortez

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Chesapeake or LongIsland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Sea of Cortez
I don't know, do you think it's big enough?

5 months in the Pacific Northwest, and he's already worried about "running out of room"... :-)
Old 09-02-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

there are people who spend years running around the pacific northwest here if you feel like running out of room here you should upgrade to something you can do the big long round trip on. I know about a cascade 36 locally that comes in close to your price range.
Old 09-02-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Someday when I run out of room in the PNW I'm going sailing in New Zealand. I've loved my other travels there.
Old 09-03-2013

New Zealand - sounds like the best country on earth. And it has the huge added benefit of having surf. I could use my sailboat as a surf travel vehicle, which is my ultimate dream. Would be logistically harder with a higher initial cost(plane tickets are high)

Sea of Cortez - a very strong possibility. Probably has the ideal weather for me. Is it still safe in Mexico for cruisers? I have been to mainland mex on two surf trips, but I have heard the situation has degraded

Long Island/chesapeake - would have been an option, still could be, but I would like a bit more tropical more exotic I think, less crowds. I have enjoyed visiting the east coast, but it is crowded, and doesn't have great weather most of the year. I'm not ruling it out though.

I did love the PNW, I know you could spend much more time than I did, but the wind is either too strong on the coast, or fluky to non existant. I mise well pick a place this time with some sort of consistent trade winds so I spend less time motoring.
Old 09-03-2013

Yeah, I'm looking up the Sea of Cortez/Baja now. If it's not dangerous people wise, this should be my plan. Buy a boat in San Diego and head south, surfing along the Pacific side, and then making my way into the Sea
Old 09-03-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Yeah, I'm looking up the Sea of Cortez/Baja now. If it's not dangerous people wise, this should be my plan. Buy a boat in San Diego and head south, surfing along the Pacific side, and then making my way into the Sea
Check out boats for sale in San Carlos Mexico. Over 600 boats sit on the hard in the "field of broken dreams". Maybe you can start yours there. After a season in the Sea you will be ready to sail across the Pacific ending up in New Zealand..........

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.