Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: A philosophical divide?

I can't say I enjoy maintenance but most of it is not overly arduous. That said, let it get away from you and it goes from being a necessary chore and ends up painful and probably expensive. I guess we do all the day to day stuff ourselves but pay someone else if we think the task is best suited to a professional.
chef2sail and smackdaddy like this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I'm still in new old boat phase, so it's very much getting the boat caught up on maintenance the PO didn't do, plus changing, adding things etc so that the boat is how I want her. Once I get there, then maintenance is just a necessary evil. Do I enjoy it? Sometimes. Is it better than working on the honey-do list? Absolutely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I think most of us who live aboard and cruise feel that maintenance is a chore. We may get some satisfaction from doing a job and not paying someone else to do it, but we would all probably rather be snorkeling, fishing, touring an island or sailing, etc. We do it because we must and if there were actually competent people out there that we could trust to do these jobs properly and afford, most of us would do so in a heart beat.
Unfortunately, I found out many years ago that the yard mechanic, rigger, electrician, etc. will not be with me in a gale at sea to repair their screw ups and it became necessary to do the jobs myself, because then I'd know it was done right.
At this time I am learning refrigeration maintenance because the last professional I had aboard overcharged my fridge to the point it blew the start capacitor and relay. I paid the as*hole $350.00 to throw away 2 weeks food and wait a week and a half for parts to be sent down to the VI, with no refrigeration. This is not an uncommon story in the sailing community.
Would I rather pay $350.00 every 2 years to have my a/c's and refer system maintained? Absolutely. I don't really want to add gauges and 2 different gas types to my ample tool kit and spares locker and I have enough to do without taking on a this, too.
My varnish will probably not get done before the boat goes up for sale. We've tried wax and now we are trying NuFinish, but when you sail 3000 to 5000 miles a year, the sea is pretty hard on polished topsides, so we ARE looking for that short cut.
Back to your question. I don't believe I fit either category; I do maintenance because I have to, because I can't find someone else I can trust or can afford to help me out. It ain't fun and it isn't a challenge; I want a cold drink, fresh clean water and on a really hot evening, I want to cool the boat down while we eat dinner. Never mind functioning toilets, running lights, sheaves that turn in their blocks and a multitude of other things that keep a cruising boat operating comfortably and safely and me busier than I want to be maintaining the boat.
smackdaddy and MarkofSeaLife like this.
Old 09-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I think most of us who live aboard and cruise feel that maintenance is a chore. We may get some satisfaction from doing a job and not paying someone else to do it, but we would all probably rather be snorkeling, fishing, touring an island or sailing, etc. We do it because we must and if there were actually competent people out there that we could trust to do these jobs properly and afford, most of us would do so in a heart beat.
Unfortunately, I found out many years ago that the yard mechanic, rigger, electrician, etc. will not be with me in a gale at sea to repair their screw ups and it became necessary to do the jobs myself, because then I'd know it was done right.
At this time I am learning refrigeration maintenance because the last professional I had aboard overcharged my fridge to the point it blew the start capacitor and relay. I paid the as*hole $350.00 to throw away 2 weeks food and wait a week and a half for parts to be sent down to the VI, with no refrigeration. This is not an uncommon story in the sailing community.
Would I rather pay $350.00 every 2 years to have my a/c's and refer system maintained? Absolutely. I don't really want to add gauges and 2 different gas types to my ample tool kit and spares locker and I have enough to do without taking on a this, too.
My varnish will probably not get done before the boat goes up for sale. We've tried wax and now we are trying NuFinish, but when you sail 3000 to 5000 miles a year, the sea is pretty hard on polished topsides, so we ARE looking for that short cut.
Back to your question. I don't believe I fit either category; I do maintenance because I have to, because I can't find someone else I can trust or can afford to help me out. It ain't fun and it isn't a challenge; I want a cold drink, fresh clean water and on a really hot evening, I want to cool the boat down while we eat dinner. Never mind functioning toilets, running lights, sheaves that turn in their blocks and a multitude of other things that keep a cruising boat operating comfortably and safely and me busier than I want to be maintaining the boat.
Bingo. I mean, who the hell wants to do maintenance? Really. That's just sad.

You either own a sailboat to sail it. Or you own a sailboat to show off your ability to maintain a sailboat. I totally don't understand the latter group.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-02-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Chores of course are not necessarily a grind. There is no universal law that says work has to be a burden. Yes it often is, but it doesn't always have to be so. So some tasks on board I quite enjoy.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-02-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I have to enjoy the process to make it work for me. Yep, it gets to be a real drag, fixing stuff in paradise. But then that's how I got here. So no choice, part of the program. This year lot's of elbow grease, next year not so much. Beats the heck out of going to an office.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-02-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Bingo. I mean, who the hell wants to do maintenance? Really. That's just sad.

You either own a sailboat to sail it. Or you own a sailboat to show off your ability to maintain a sailboat. I totally don't understand the latter group.
I guess I have done a lot of "maintenance" over the years. I have done a lot of sailing, too. Some of the maintenance is tedious stuff. I don't enjoy that stuff. My current boat needs to be re gelcoated. I don't varnish the teak. I like it natural (less maintenance). I installed the current engine and am comfortable knowing I can take care of any problems it might have (important maintenance). I installed the electronics and enjoy the same comfort there. I could go on... To suggest I do that to show off my abilities is pure "Smack Talk"! If that were true, everything I do would be motivated by ego and not personal enjoyment.

I fly fish. I tie my own flies because I enjoy doing it. I race canoes. I build my own canoes to race because I enjoy doing it. ..........!

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about my talents or abilities anymore. I am happily retired! Ha! I have won some sailboat races, too. I enjoy it. I enjoy setting the anchor correctly. I enjoy accurately plotting a course. I enjoy trimming the sails well. Etc. I sure as hell don't do any of it to impress some less competent , or more competent fellow anywhere, with my skill level. I enjoy "problem solving". A successful cruise is successful problem solving. Lots of it and I enjoy it. Owning a sailboat is all of that for me.

I crew from time to time on one of the IODs here on Mt. Desert Island. It is fun but not as much fun as my own boat with all its "maintenance". It is just sailing. Fun sailing for sure but after crossing the finish line and putting the boat back on its mooring it is over. No connection beyond the very limited experience of doing it a little better tomorrow. I guess that is why I don't spend time playing golf.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 09-02-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I think there are two types of sailors: Those who reward maintenance with a sail and/or a destination, and those who perform maintenance so they can sail and/or to a destination.

How many of you enjoy the process as much as the result, and how many of you endure the process the get the result?

Please discuss.
So where would John Kerry fit in? (UH OH, a third type.)
Eat, Pray, Varnish!
Old 09-02-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the initial fixing up and renovation of old boats but after that stage, don't spend a lot of time making things shiny to impress other people. Once a boat is in good sailing shape, would rather be on the water than sitting dockside fussing with brightwork. I really appreciate seeing boats in "Bristol" condition but have never had the desire or patience to maintain a boat that meticulously. Different strokes...
Old 09-02-2013
O'Day 272 - "Pana-Sea-A"

Mjfossler is on a distinguished road
A philosophical divide?

It's funny, I'd much rather work on my boat than the house! But, I bought the boat to sail , and because I bought a very simple boat, the maintenance is not a burden.