Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: A philosophical divide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I think there are two types of sailors: Those who reward maintenance with a sail and/or a destination, and those who perform maintenance so they can sail and/or to a destination.

How many of you enjoy the process as much as the result, and how many of you endure the process the get the result?

Please discuss.
We used to say about old VW's that there were maintenance fanatics and then there were guys who could fix anything anywhere (and they often had to). I think there is sort of a parallel there. When it cam to VW's I don't think either group could totally understand they other. What you call a "philosophical divide", I am increasingly coming to view as a deeper personality test. More and more, I think one's philosophical standpoint on many of the great (and trivial) divisions of the day has less to do with reasoned assessment of the facts / sides / circumstance that make up the substance of the debate than it is of something deeper and more predetermined in all of us (maybe more related to traits such as your creativity or discipline; whether you are optimistic or skeptical; social or a loner etc). I doubt Socrates himself could change the minds of many of us when it comes to these philosophical divides. He sure couldn't convince me to worry about brightwork. Why is that?
downeast450 likes this.
Old 09-02-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I think there are two types of sailors: Those who reward maintenance with a sail and/or a destination, and those who perform maintenance so they can sail and/or to a destination.

How many of you enjoy the process as much as the result, and how many of you endure the process the get the result?

Please discuss.
Seems it applies to more than just sailors (the question, that is). Why do we work? Some work isn't work.
Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.
Confucius

We maintain our boats (or not); we maintain our bodies; we maintain our lives. Some of these acts of maintenance we don't consider work... showering, teeth brushing, eating. Some even love the work they do, and they are the happy ones.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
James Matthew Barrie, Sr.

Aren't the two choices you mention the same? Do the maintenance, then use the sailboat. This summer I have varnished teak, painted both anchors, installed new bilge pump hose, varnished teak, installed elongated bowl on the old PHII head and rebuilt the pump parts, changed oil and filter, installed new battery charger, varnished teak, and so on. I did a little cruising too. I'm not sure which category I would belong to. None of it seemed like work.
I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun.
Thomas A. Edison
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Bingo. I mean, who the hell wants to do maintenance? Really. That's just sad.

You either own a sailboat to sail it. Or you own a sailboat to show off your ability to maintain a sailboat. I totally don't understand the latter group.
You're missing a big one here. A lot of us get a lot of satisfaction from working on things - it's why people build boats, restore boats, build hot rods, fences, furniture etc.

I like working on boats at least as much as I like sailing them - maybe more. It has nothing to do with showing off, it has everything to do with personal satisfaction.

That said, fixing a broken crapper isn't really part of the equation - that's just necessity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-02-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Other than washing and cleaning, during the sailing season, the maintenance on our boat all occurs when she is not in the water and is next to our house during the winter months. Our maintenance does not and will not impact our sailing time and I take that pretty seriously. My wife has a zero tolerance policy for breakdowns when cruising, especially considering what I do......

We go in the water in mid April and come out in mid to late November so we get plenty of sailing in for Maine. We've just surpassed 970nm this season and will be sailing until November or three more months...... Not bad for just coastal Maine sailing, but I do sneak off a bit during the week for some solo sailing...

For me maintenance is for the off season. For some of my customers the deferred maintenance or lack of maintenance ruins their sailing season, weekend or vacation.

A customer in July spent a full day getting towed and two days in a boat yard waiting to get an his boat fixed. This was an item I had suggested he do two years prior.... His thought process was; "I'll wait till it dies."... Needless to say his family was NOT happy that their precious one week of of prime family time had been destroyed by deferred maintenance...

The biggest in-water projects I have had to tackle this year on our boat was a warranty issue on a solar panel and some tweaks to the alternator voltage regulator. We have plenty of time on the hard to keep the boat in tip-top condition so as not to impact sailing time.... For me it's not an either/or situation its that we can do both and neither one impacts the other....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Other than washing and cleaning, during the sailing season, the maintenance on our boat all occurs when she is not in the water and is next to our house during the winter months. Our maintenance does not and will not impact our sailing time and I take that pretty seriously. My wife has a zero tolerance policy for breakdowns when cruising, especially considering what I do......
Ahhh... happy is the man who works to please his wife!
Old 09-02-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Ahhh... happy is the man who works to please his wife!
Truth be told it makes me happy too. I don't want to be fixing $hit when I could be sucking back a cocktail and watching the seals, loons & porpoise play in some quiet cove..During the season our boat is for play not working on... We are lucky in Maine that we have a 5 month mandatory shut down....

Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Truth be told it makes me happy too. I don't want to be fixing $hit when I could be sucking back a cocktail and watching the seals, loons & porpoise play in some quiet cove..During the season our boat is for play not working on... We are lucky in Maine that we have a 5 month mandatory shut down....
Of course I know you love to do the work and enjoy doing it as I enjoy doing mine. But, of course, we let the "brides" think we do it all for them.
Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Of course I know you love to do the work and enjoy doing it as I enjoy doing mine. But, of course, we let the "brides" think we do it all for them.
Right on... We need some honey do points for the grueling work we do......

Old 09-02-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

A choice between maintenance and sailing? Go sailing. I would never buy a project boat or a wooden boat. Occasionally there is a conflict; I dislike working with paint and epoxy in the off-season when the weather is sketchy, so I haul in the summer and work very fast.

But mostly it is a choice between projects and...
* Watching TV. Often I have some project I have brought home and can take to the workroom. Generally more pleasant and rewarding that the tripe on the tube (do kids even get the origin of the term?).
* Work on the house. Again, I work on the house weeknights, not on weekends if it can be avoided.
* Doing nothing.
Projects are better.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 09-02-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
I get a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction in seeing my boat in perfect condition.

I also don't want to be a slave to my boat
That's a contradiction in terms as far as I'm concerned. At least you didn't use the two statements in the same sentence.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke