Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Hunter 35 pierced hull Lake Ray Hubbard, Texas

Hmmm, don't many insurance policies have an exclusion for racing? This news segment may be publicity that he does not want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!
I have to ask: was sinking the boat easier than sawing the log? Seems -- counterintuitive -- but glad it worked; have to add that to my bag-o-tricks.
Now comes the fun part. Clean, dry, prep, rewire, repair, repaint...

Sounds as though he found a forest that was drowned when the lake was made. Has it been marked so no one else finds it the hard way?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I'm sorry about your friend's loss. To address the comments above, I have not seen a sailboat policy that excludes club level racing. Besides, this was not a racing accident, but an unmarked hazzard accident. I would also suspect that the boat would be totalled by the time you address the hole, the engine, the engine oil slime on the cushions and other finishes, and the electrical components.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-03-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
...I have not seen a sailboat policy that excludes club level racing...
That is good to hear. This was clearly not his fault, and he should be made whole.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 09-03-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Allow me to add a little more info:

Manatee-I also thought they should saw it free. I talked to the salvage crew yesterday and they told me they tried to saw the old tree but it was like cutting granite. Maybe a pneumatic chainsaw would have done it, but that tool was not in their bag.

Take Five- I called my State Farm agent and asked him if I was insured in the event of a sinking. He told me yes...recovery expense is covered up to the agreed value. Let's say you have a $10,000 boat insured for $10K. It sinks, is recovered (for a cost of $5000) and then is declared a total loss. Insurance pays the recovery team and you get $5000. I was surprised at first but it does make business sense from the insurance companies position.
Old 09-03-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Allow me to add a little more info:

Manatee-I also thought they should saw it free. I talked to the salvage crew yesterday and they told me they tried to saw the old tree but it was like cutting granite. Maybe a pneumatic chainsaw would have done it, but that tool was not in their bag.
Never a sculptor & his chisel around when you really need one. What'd you guys find, a petrified forest?

Best of luck on the insurance front. Do you think she's salvable, or is it time to start shopping for another boat?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 09-03-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's awful, hopefully some will take the time to dive in the area and mark it off well.....
Old 09-03-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Sorry about this. Keep us up to date on what options are open. Maybe someone has an idea ? Do they know how large the log is ? Cutting seemed a good option. Men cut steal rock other material but under water could stump us ?
sorry once more , Lou
The Following User Says Thank You to Lou452 For This Useful Post:
MarkSailor (09-04-2013)
Old 09-03-2013

rndmtrvlr is on a distinguished road

Scary. Where in the lake did the accident occur? Looks like from your picture, it was fairly close to shore. What marina did they tow it to? I'm at Bayview.
Old 09-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Take Five- I called my State Farm agent and asked him if I was insured in the event of a sinking. He told me yes...recovery expense is covered up to the agreed value. Let's say you have a $10,000 boat insured for $10K. It sinks, is recovered (for a cost of $5000) and then is declared a total loss. Insurance pays the recovery team and you get $5000. I was surprised at first but it does make business sense from the insurance companies position...
That is unacceptable. I used to have my boat insured with State Farm, and when I heard that salvage+loss was limited to the agreed value, I moved my policy to BoatUS. I suggest that you do the same.

In the example you cite above, under my policy with BoatUS, they would pay me $10k and also pay salvage costs up to an additional $10k. In other words, the net payout could be double the agreed value - they'll make me whole for my loss, and they'll pay up to the agreed value for salvage.

My State Farm policy also had no coverage for environmental damage - a huge liabililty. My BoatUS policy will pay up to $854k for environmental damage.

In my opinion, State Farm does not know the needs of boaters, and their policies reflect that. Same goes for their agents - when I asked my agent about coverage for environmental damage, she said "What's that?"

On the other hand, BoatUS knows boats.