Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Hunter 35 pierced hull Lake Ray Hubbard, Texas

My friend Dan was racing Saturday evening running under chute in 26 feet of water when his Hunter 35 came to a sudden stop. The boat impailed itself on an old tree. The lake is 6 feet low and the obstruction was unknown / un-marked. The salvage crew worked all day Sunday with pumps, interior air bags and exterior saddle bags placed under the hull fore and aft. They still haven't been able to get the boat off the stump. It's not looking good for "Orion". https://www.facebook.com/groups/410201245709001/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2013

justcruisin is on a distinguished road
Re: Hunter 35 pierced hull Lake Ray Hubbard, Texas

At least everyone got off her safe. I feel for the owner's though.
Heart breaking.
Old 09-02-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Can they saw off the stump exterior to the hull & leave it in place until they get to a dock or lift? I'm thinking of how Captain Cook's ship hit a coral head on the Barrier Reef, and, luckily, the coral broke off & acted as a plug until they could get to a place to careen & repair her.

Good luck!
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Can they saw off the stump exterior to the hull & leave it in place until they get to a dock or lift? I'm thinking of how Captain Cook's ship hit a coral head on the Barrier Reef, and, luckily, the coral broke off & acted as a plug until they could get to a place to careen & repair her.

Good luck!
That's exactly what I think they should do. Apparently it is in a "minefield" of old trees with little room to rotate or heel the boat off. Seems to me sawing it loose makes sense.
Old 09-02-2013

I took this pic yesterday about 12 hours after the incident. The bilge pumps were keeping up.
Old 09-02-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post

Good luck!
Is there a chain saw that will work under water?
Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Is there a chain saw that will work under water?
I'm a dinosaurian member of the Old-School, No Batteries Required, Luddite and Floating Beer Party Society:
Bow saw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hatchets also work underwater.

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2013

FYI...my apologies...I stated a Hunter 35. It's a Hunter 31. Not sure what I was thinking. Anyway as of this posting, the boat is still stuck on the stick.
Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
FYI...my apologies...I stated a Hunter 35. It's a Hunter 31. Not sure what I was thinking. Anyway as of this posting, the boat is still stuck on the stick.
Size doesn't matter, she needs help.

Hope they free her before bad weather moves in. Last thing thing you need is wind & waves twisting the knife.

Good luck!

Edit: Anyone have a hookah diving rig to let people get some good sawing done?

~~Dylan Winter,

Last edited by manatee; 09-02-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2013

They got the boat off the tree yesterday by sinking the stern until 90% of the boat was under water. Only about 3 feet of the bow was above water when it popped off the tree trunk. They had empty airbags lashed to the hull sides fore and aft. When the boat popped off the tree, the stern settled on the lake bottom. They filled the bags, floated the boat and fired up three gas power pumps. In about an hour the boat was floating near its normal waterline. They towed the boat to the marina and tried to get the rail car cradle under it but the lake is too low. They decided to put the boat in a slip with the bags still on it for the night. This morning I went down and it was still secure. Today they will attempt to get it on a trailer. There was not a trailer available yesterday. Hopefully they will be able to get the trailer deep enough. The CBS news crew did piece on the news last night about the drought and how it has effected the Dallas area. They also interviewed Dan about the mishap. You can see it here. Low Water Levels Causing Major Lake Hazards ę CBS Dallas / Fort Worth