Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013

chriscross80 is on a distinguished road
Sailing around the world in a small sailboat

Since this is a fantasy of mine and has been for almost 25 years now I just now found this great website Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List which lists which boats are best for such a voyage. Enjoy!
TJC45 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sailing around the world in a small sailboat

Research it, here, or google.
Old 09-04-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

I made an offer on a Flicka. really liked the boat. The owner was a trust fund baby who was stuck on his price. I came close to his asking but we couldn't come to an agreement. Just on principle I'm not paying asking for anything. My loss, but life goes on.

I've also looked at a bunch of Tritons. What a cool boat! This fueled an interest in other older Pearsons. Which i also really like. But, to me, the fact is I'm not ever going to sail around the world. Just not on the bucket list. The give up on these older designs is in living space. And, since i'm not going any further than the Bahamas, there are many newer designs that can handle that task.

That said, again, I'm a big fan of many of the boats on that list.
Old 09-04-2013

jbarros is on a distinguished road

While I love the little triton, the other question, in addition to living space, is how far are you comfortable leaning? Alberg drew up beautiful boats, but most of them were CCA influenced, and that means boats that need to lean over to get their functional waterline to where he means it to be. I don't mind it, but I know a number of people who do.
Old 09-04-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I like the flicka a lot.. I think as I have to redo the cabin of my sprite anyway, I might borrow some elements

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

sethpool is on a distinguished road

Everyone likes the Flicka.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

harmonic is on a distinguished road

Women dont like the flickas head system ie bucket and chucket
Old 4 Weeks Ago
I can't re Member

goat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonic View Post
Women dont like the flickas head system ie bucket and chucket
The newer ones came with a head option,

Cuts in to the starboard berth, but better than a porta-pottie beneath your head as you sleep. IMHO.

goat
Old 4 Weeks Ago

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarros View Post
...how far are you comfortable leaning? Alberg drew up beautiful boats, but most of them were CCA influenced, and that means boats that need to lean over to get their functional waterline to where he means it to be. I don't mind it, but I know a number of people who do.
CCA boats are initially tender, but once heeled, they stay there and sail very efficiently as in a groove, rather than rolling back and forth with the uncomfortable motion associated with beamy boats. Cats are an option if one doesn't like living on a slant...
christian.hess likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
CCA boats are initially tender, but once heeled, they stay there and sail very efficiently as in a groove, rather than rolling back and forth with the uncomfortable motion associated with beamy boats.
I would disagree that "once heeled they stry there". CCA boats were purposely designed with a minimum of form stability at any point of heel. Like any boat they tend to heel until the reach equilibrium. Because they were designed to heel in order to obtain unmeasured waterline length, they are typically sailed at larger heel angles than purpose designed cruising boats of that era or the present for that matter. That design intent means that the boat is sailing at higher heel angles, which takes a toll on the crew over time as ever moment around the boat takes more physical strength than a more upright boat.

But even with the small incremental increase in water line length, at that large heel angle they do not tend to sail all that efficiently given their higher drag, larger leeway, and comparatively inefficient sail plan configurations.

I would also somewhat disagree with your statement "rather than rolling back and forth with the uncomfortable motion associated with beamy boats." With their round bottom sections, minimal dampening, and narrow beam CCA era boats tend to roll through considerably larger roll angles than later designs, and while some (but not all) of these later beamier designs can exhibit a quicker motion, the larger roll angle of the CCA era boats can really exhaust a crew, and for some folks is more likely to cause seasickness.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies