Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Omatako

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Oracle caught cheating

Oracle hit with major penalties in America's Cup cheating scandal | Reuters

Pretty dumb move!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Oracle caught cheating

I am still rooting for the Kiwis.. I like their plans to make the next series "more sane" than the current boats

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 09-04-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

I guess the old adage is that if your not cheating you're not trying
Old 09-04-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

This cheating incident happened around a year back and on the 45's, not the 72's, so I'm not sure it is fair.
On the other hand, I sincerely believe it is a case of a couple of folks throwing themselves under the bus to save the rest in the sense that more people knew of the cheating than have admitted, so perhaps that's why the penalty is so severe.
I hope we get a chance to see some close races, but I'm sure this decision has demoralized the US team considerably, and from the performance of the boats in the LV Cup, unless the Oracle boat is significantly faster than the Kiwi boat, it may be that the Oracle hasn't too much chance to win now, which is a shame.
When the rules committee can predetermine the outcome of something like the America's Cup, perhaps the system needs an overhaul.
Old 09-04-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Ah they'll just change the rules to let the US win as usual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Ah they'll just change the rules to let the US win as usual.
The irony of this is that OTUSA apparently changed a rule in the Race Protocol to say that any team who entered into litigation during the Cup will be excluded from the competition.

They can't at this stage change that rule or any other (I don't think).

Sometimes one has to be careful what you wish for . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-04-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I lost interest in the AC about ten years ago, as far as I am concerned they could be racing 10 hulled 500kt boats crewed only by bikini-clad beauties (although to be fair I would definitely watch that).
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Red Bull youth AC series that's going on though, great racing, a distinct lack of egos and politics.

Old 09-04-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Maybe I’m the only one who sees it this way but to me this is all just smoke and mirrors.

So fundamentally there were three penalties handed down: First, some sailors got suspended/banned. Second, OTUSA got a penalty of two races so they have to win 11 and the NZ boys have to only win 9. And lastly, a fine of $250K to be paid to a charity. OMG!!! What a calamity!! Worst in AC history.

OK so let’s have a look.

1) The only real connection between AC45 World series and the AC72’s is the shore and sailing crews. So if members of these crews cheated in the first series, they should be sanctioned in all yacht racing for a time, including AC34. Oracle are saying that their lynch pin, the mainsail trimmer, is gone and that is key to their performance. Well yes, maybe he is the best but in testing, the mainsail trimmer on other boat managed to keep up speed wise so he can’t be that far off the pace. And that goes for all the crew that are essentially duplicated so for OTUSA to say they now have to sail with a “rookie” mainsail trimmer is rubbish.

2) In the past 20 years, AC has been won by giant margins, mostly 5 – zip. The fastest boat will win – resoundingly. So if ETNZ can race to 9 and win because they’re faster they will. And if OTUSA can race to 11 and win because they’re faster, they will. The additional two races will not affect the outcome. The boat that doesn’t win will be way behind. Nowhere was that more clearly displayed than the Luna Rossa/ETNZ contest. So the points penalty is rubbish.

3) Uncle Larry probably donates millions to charities each year so now instead of saying to a charity “Here is a donation of $250k for your charity” he can hand over the same cheque and say ”Here is the fine I have to pay according to the AC Jury”. So the fine is rubbish.

Maybe I really am the only one who sees it this way . . . .
davidpm likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke