Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road
Catalina 22 good starter or waste of money

Ok so after reading what everyone has said to me I am thinking about going smaller for a few years. I do really want a bigger boat but I'm not sure about myself and My sailing abilities. I looked at a few cat 22 on line and they look like they could do what I want. Something to day sail and stay on for a few weekend and maybe a week long trip in the summer. I looked into how much they weigh and I think the van can pull it. I also looked into dry storage at a marina and leave the mast up and only use the van to launch it. That way I can go by myself to. But my big worry is that I won't have enough nice weather on Lake Michigan to use it. Not sure how it would do in 2-4' waves that are out the more times then not.

I guess if someone can tell me how it handles waves and if 2-5 people 3 of them being kids could fit on a cat 22?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 good starter or waste of money

Pick a good weather window and it will be fine. You will not want to spend time in Lake Michigan 4 footers, they are just to short cycle for comfort in most mid size boats.

I have friends that have a C22 on the Wi coast. They love the boat, and mostly day sail. When they take a trip they do a night on the boat and then a night in a hotel/motel. Better balance for both of them. They take one to two of their grand kids with them, but it is definetely camping out and day sailing to their slip only. Entertaining the kids in very little space is tough.

You have gone from a C25 to a C27 and now back to a C22 in the matter of a few days. I think that you need to go look at some boats that are not pictures on the internet, and then maybe make a decision.You seem to be running in circles from powerboat, to mooring/slip, from C25 to C27 etc..You are doing a lot of work and dreaming with little or no reality as yet. Go get the reality......it is YOURS, not ours, that matters.

Go the www.bbyc.com and charter the C25 they have in their fleet. A couple of days on it with your wife and kids will probably answer some questions for all of you.
jimgo and Lou452 like this.

Last edited by tomandchris; 09-04-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road

Thanks I had not found that one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-04-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I share the concern about your lack of direction in your boat search. You need to go look at as many boats as you can.

I would never do an overnight on a Catalina 22, especially with 3 kids. A whole week is impossible to imagine. Way too tight. A C25 would be tight also, but might work for a night or two.

You don't need to have one boat to do it all. You could buy a small boat for daysailing, and for the one week a year you want to cruise, charter a larger boat and do it in comfort. (That's what I decided to do.) If you do the math, you'll probably find that the money you save by buying a smaller boat (purchase price, storage, maintenance) can pay for the charter. Owning a boat still costs money, but a smaller boat is significantly less. Cost goes up exponentially with size - not just purchase price, but storage and maintenance.

You seem to want to have a trailerable boat, and you have limited towing capacity. I don't know what your budget is, but one boat you have not mentioned is the Catalina 250 water ballast. There are many here who will stick their noses up at a water ballast, and they do have some maintenance and performance issues, but it would maximize your boat size in a package that is a little easier to tow. The C250WB does have significantly less headroom than the wing keel version, though, so you need to get in one and see if you feel claustrophobic.

But the key thing is to go look at boats now. The idea to try day rentals would be an excellent way to get really familiar with a few of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-04-2013
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I think a lot of people start out with "plans" to sail the high seas, and underestimate the power of a good day sail. I've noted that many people buy these truly beautiful cruisers, but then don't get the time for the "big sail," and due to the size of the boat and lack of crew, don't get out as much as they otherwise would in a small boat.

I appreciate the want to get the kids involved (or the spouse), but sailing sadly isn't always enjoyed by all. I'd say start small, with plans to day sail. Set yourself up so that sailing it isn't 2 hours of work on each end (trailer sailing can be like that), try a slipped boat, so that you can hop on and get sailing in a few minutes. Do this as close to home as you can.. so you can get more tiller time... After a season or two, you can decide if everyone likes it, and what size boat you REALLY need... A Catalina 22 is an awesome starter (as is the Cat 25 honestly), these are good reliable choices that'll hold their value decently so if you decide on a smaller or bigger boat later, unloading it should be easy... slip it, and get out there, and get that tiller time.
TakeFive and Lou452 like this.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 09-04-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. In a few years I'd like to get a 30+ foot boat but my wife says a new basement and a new garage have to come before a boat, and she's right. There are a lot of Catalina 22 for sale, it seems like that might be a good way to get a feel for maintenance and get lots of sails in, and for big boat experience I could charter a couple times a year. Does that make sense?
SHNOOL and CatMan22 like this.
Old 09-04-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
I think a lot of people start out with "plans" to sail the high seas, and underestimate the power of a good day sail. I've noted that many people buy these truly beautiful cruisers, but then don't get the time for the "big sail," and due to the size of the boat and lack of crew, don't get out as much as they otherwise would in a small boat.

I appreciate the want to get the kids involved (or the spouse), but sailing sadly isn't always enjoyed by all. I'd say start small, with plans to day sail. Set yourself up so that sailing it isn't 2 hours of work on each end (trailer sailing can be like that), try a slipped boat, so that you can hop on and get sailing in a few minutes. Do this as close to home as you can.. so you can get more tiller time... After a season or two, you can decide if everyone likes it, and what size boat you REALLY need... A Catalina 22 is an awesome starter (as is the Cat 25 honestly), these are good reliable choices that'll hold their value decently so if you decide on a smaller or bigger boat later, unloading it should be easy... slip it, and get out there, and get that tiller time.
I agree fully. We looked for 6 months at boats up to 36', thinking we needed one boat "to do it all." In the end, we realized that we mainly wanted to daysail, and a large boat would be much more work to maintain and a pain to take out for a couple hours. We also decided we'd sail more with the boat 12 minutes away, and a smaller, nimbler boat would tack more easily in the river. We've chartered larger boats for a couple weeks, but our own boat is also large enough for two of us to spend several days, so we've done that too.

I also agree 100% with finding a slip or mooring for the boat. You will not sail if you need to launch and haul out every time - especially with impatient kids waiting. But a trailerable boat would allow for offseason storage in your yard, if you prefer. But first look into boatyard storage options. I found a place that stores my boat in the offseason for $300 (plus $150 club dues) - and that includes haulout and launch. Rather than buy a trailer, I bought 5 boat stands for $120 each. The stands are much easier to store (they nest and fit in my shed), but every bit as effective for storing the boat in the winter as a trailer - as long as you can find an inexpensive yard (hint: join a boat club).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 09-04-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. In a few years I'd like to get a 30+ foot boat but my wife says a new basement and a new garage have to come before a boat, and she's right. There are a lot of Catalina 22 for sale, it seems like that might be a good way to get a feel for maintenance and get lots of sails in, and for big boat experience I could charter a couple times a year. Does that make sense?
A LOT of sense. The C22 has a very long, roomy cockpit for daysails. [EDIT: Please verify this yourself. I might be thinking of the Capri 22, which has a really long cockpit, and might be more suitable for seating 5.] One other consideration, though, is that if you truly want to go out for a whole day, an enclosed head may be nice. My wife's insistence on that, and my general desire to have a roomy cabin to escape the sun and/or do occasional overnights, made the 25 footer the smallest we could go.

But the 22-25 foot sloop does get you the general feel of a true keelboat. You'll gain enough experience that chartering in the 30-40 foot range is an easy adjustment.

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-04-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

I love my Catalina 22. It's a surprisingly tough little boat, although I think 4' waves would get old real quick and I wouldn't personally try sleeping 5 on mine (unless you're all under 3' tall). I do think it's a great way to get out there, do some daysails on calmer days, maybe take a skeleton crew out for a weekend, and get better at sailing.

I keep mine at a marina on a trailer with the rig up, which is cheaper than a slip, kinder to the keel lifting hardware than a slip or mooring (particularly in salt water), and makes it so that I don't need to step and unstep the mast each time we sail. There are people out there who put their masts up and down all the time and have systems worked out to make it less annoying, but it was never something I wanted to get particularly good at. I don't know if that's an option in your area, but it's worked great for us.

I've never weighed my boat, but I imagine that the boat plus trailer plus junk is probably conservatively around 4000-4500 lbs. My truck is rated for 5000 and pulls it fine, although the vast majority of our towing takes place in the 30' between the ramp and our parking spot.

We've been out in some nasty stuff, and we weekend whenever we can, although it's just the two of us and even that's somewhat cozy. We're thinking of upgrading to extend our range, but we've gotten more than 4 great years out of ours and don't regret any of it.

I haven't been following your whole story, so I'm not making a recommendation one way or the other, but that's my deal with the 22. I have all of my boating activities since day 1 cataloged in my boat log if you want specifics:

Welcome | Sailing Fortuitous

Last edited by chip; 09-04-2013 at 11:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chip For This Useful Post:
juggleandhope (09-04-2013), LakeMi (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I think the 25 is a good compromise and a fun boat to sail. The pop top version will give you a bit more headroom if you get stuck down below in the rain for an afternoon.

YMMV
davidpm likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.