Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Flying Scot - did I buy the wrong boat?

you have a place on the water so keep the scott they are great boats to learn in. before long your kids will be sailing it and dad and mom will need their own boat. something that mom can sit in with a glass of something cold and a book to read while your kids sail circles around you.
Look at the Rhodes 19 a great boat comes fixed keel or centerboard

Last edited by overbored; 09-05-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2013

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

A Flying Scot is a great first boat for you and your family. They are beamy, roomy and quite stable for a CB boat of that size. That said, in all but light air, a Scot is more of an active rather than passive sailing experience. It's a great boat for you and your wife to sharpen your skills and enjoy some great daysailing adventures. You would have to try pretty hard to capsize a Scot -- not that you couldn't, but it would be pretty difficult. Go out in conditions suited to your abilities and the comfort of your passengers. You shouldn't put the boat on its ear when you're out -- it's a slow way to sail anyway -- but you should help your family understand that heeling is part of sailing. Remember that your wife and kids will get their cues from you -- if you appear anxious when the boat heels, they will be anxious. If you explain why you're heeling and that it's normal, they will learn to be relaxed. As far as reading the paper and enjoying a drink, a Scot may not be the ideal boat for that (except in light air), but I might suggest you get the admiral involved in sailing. Moving up to a larger boat will be easier once she's hooked and you have her support. The admiral on Grey Goose enjoys sailing in most conditions and we both still enjoy what she jokingly refers to as 'cocktail sailing' -- conditions where you won't spill your marguerita . I say stick with and sail your Flying Scot for at least a year before considering a change.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 09-05-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road

I was raised on dinghies starting back in '74, sailing many different designs under 20' over the years since. Over a decade ago I taught adults to sail on Flying Scots for two seasons at one of the metro DC marinas Jiminri mentioned. From that experience I have to say the Scots were the most stable and, in a blow, forgiving monohull design under 20' I've ever sailed. My advice is simple: give yourself some time underway aboard your FS before giving up on it. You'll grow into it and you'll be glad you took the time to adjust. If you also sail other dinghy designs for the sake of comparison you'll likely discover the gem you currently own. Failing that, I'm almost tempted to suggest you email me for the right to first refusal when you sell the Scot.
Old 09-05-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"small keel boat"?
That's for wussies. Stick with a boat that can capsize. It will make you a far better sailor.
Maybe a better swimmer too.
krisscross likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Do what the Scot does well. Go racing. Find some friends that want to get wet, and go for it. When the conditions are right, take the family out with cold drinks and newspapers. And who knows, maybe some in your family might dig racing too.
Old 09-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

If you go on any forum for dinghy racers, a Flying Scot would be described as like sailing a brick outhouse. They have to be about the most stable centerboard boat ever made!
That said, they WILL capsize if you really put some effort into it. I would try about 30 knots and have the family all sit on the low side

That said, this boat is not ideal for reading and snoozing underway. It CAN capsize and I have a feeling it is a project to get back up again. I would consider doing the following:
1. Sell the FS to a local racer.
2. Buy a Sunfish or some other small cheap CB boat that can be quickly righted to play around with and learn to sail better. Lots of various types around and the key is they don't really hold water. Laser is another example, it can be righted and be underway in 20 seconds. AMong other things the "dreaded capsize" will no longer be a scary mystery.
3. Buy a 20-25 foot keelboat. Unless badly designed, keelboats *cannot* be capsized by wind. The worst thing that wind can do is lay them over about 90 degrees until someone lets a sail loose. If you get the right boat you'll have cockpit seats long enough to stretch out on and a small cabin to hide from storms and store things in. I don't know what you can find around you, but way back in the day the Cal 20 was ideal for this use.

Also suggest you crew for a FS racer. That will be fun

Old 09-06-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Don't give up on your Scot. Just buy a used smaller set of sails, like from a 14 or 15 foot boat, and keep using them until all of you guys are comfortable and have learned how to act on your boat when sailing. Smaller sails will make the boat more stable and less responsive - but in stronger winds you will still sail fast. Then you can go back to the big sails and have real fun. Scot is an awesome dinghy but it does require some skill to sail nicely.
Old 09-06-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

some good videos about the Scot
The Flying Scot - The Best Daysailer in the World
Old 09-06-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

There was a FS at the marina where I bought my boat. It was parked on a trailer near the entrance. I drooled over that boat EVERY time I went down to work on my boat. You may or may not decide to keep it, but PLEASE enjoy it while you have it!
Also, as much as I like my keel boat, keep in mind that there is a lot more maintenance. Lighting, plumbing, cushions, rigging, etc etc etc.
Old 09-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

All true, but depending on the wife, it may or may not be easier to convince her to give up on lounging and reading and not worrying about capsizing then it is to find another boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
There was a FS at the marina where I bought my boat. It was parked on a trailer near the entrance. I drooled over that boat EVERY time I went down to work on my boat. You may or may not decide to keep it, but PLEASE enjoy it while you have it!
Also, as much as I like my keel boat, keep in mind that there is a lot more maintenance. Lighting, plumbing, cushions, rigging, etc etc etc.