Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013

LakeMi is on a distinguished road
Re: Going to look at a boat

For the price it's almost to good to be true. I think as long as the deck is not rotten and there is no major damage that I can find Im going to go for it. The sail looks old and dirty. It looks like there is a furling on the jib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Actually, as I look a the picture again, the sail may be loose footed. Tough to tell.

Yes, that's a roller furler on the bow.

As a safety thing, I also really like the double lifelines with kids.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2013

What is loose footed?

Old 09-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Usually the boom has a slot on the top, and there are either slugs or a bolt rope that goes into the slot to help keep a certain shape along the entire foot of the sail. Some sails, instead, are "loose footed" and are intended to have the foot entirely controlled by the outhaul. They tend to be baggier at the bottom, which is what I might be seeing in the picture. Again, its tough to tell.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2013

Wow that went right over my head.

Old 09-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

OK, trying again. Look at the third picture on this page:
The Saga of Sesame: 02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008

Specifically, look at the boom. Do you see how the sail doesn't touch the boom except at the front and back of the boom? That's because the "foot" or bottom of the sail is loose (i.e., it isn't connected to the boom).

Then compare it to this picture of my sail, with the slugs along the foot:

The bottom of the loose footed sail's shape is entirely driven by the outhaul and the topping lift (with the outhaul doing most of the work). My boat has an outhaul too; you can see the shiny metal thing at the left-hand most point on the sail (the clew); the shiny thing is part of my boat's outhaul. The outhaul puts tension on the foot, pulling the sail tight. In light winds, you want to loosen the outhaul and let the sail get "baggy" because it increases the surface area. As the wind picks up, you flatten the sail using the outhaul so you don't overpower the boat (and heel too much).

Is that better?
1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 09-05-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2013

Got it. A pic is worth a 1000 words.

Is that a bad thing? I have been doing a little reading on ranger 26 and is sounds like it is a race boat that was built fairly well.

Old 09-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

It's not really a bad thing. It gives you more control over the sail's shape than I have with mine. At your stage of the game (I'm not really that far ahead of you) it's the kind of thing that you'll likely set and forget for a while until you get more comfortable with the boat and how the lines all work. I can see where, as a racer, that would come in handy, and if you decide to race her eventually, it will be a good thing.

Of course, I could also be wrong and the sail may just be blown out. That means that it no longer creates an efficient shape when you're sailing, and you'll eventually want to get a new sail or at least a new-to-you sail (there are several places that sell used sails, and many of them are from racers who use the sail for one season then "need" a new one, with the old one being perfectly sufficient for what you'll probably be doing over the next year or two). If you go to Sailboatdata.com you can get the measurements for the mainsail, then check minneysyachtsurplus.com or bacon sails in Annapolis (among others) to get an idea of what a used sail in decent condition might cost.
1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 09-05-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Make any purchase contingent on a successful survey. The cheaper the boat, the more you need a survey.

Some boats are worth less than $0. They will suck you dry (or threaten your life) no matter how low the purchase price. Be careful.

Also talk to an insurance agent before you make an offer. If you buy a boat that you can't insure, it may make it difficult for you to find a marina to accept you. Any insurance company is going to demand a survey anyway, so you might as well make your contract contingent on it.
joyinPNW likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-05-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
For the price it's almost to good to be true...

BIG alarm bells should be going off!

This is the first boat you've looked at. You really should do a more thorough job before buying.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.